Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nashbar rollers?

    I'm thinking about getting some of the Nashbar reduced radius rollers to stay in shape over the long (3 month+) snowy/slushy season here. For 119.00 they seem pretty affordable. Have any of you used or own these? How do you like them with your fixed gear? Are they very noisy? Does it suck to not have a resistance unit?

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_173072_-1___

  2. #2
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay in shape, get a trainer not rollers. Rollers are good to work on your pedalling technique and spin, which is what I use mine for. I have some really nice, smooth and quiet Kreitlers with 4.5" drums, but they cost 3X what the Nashbar ones cost. Having said that, the Nashbar ones look like a good deal, provided the shipping isn't too high.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sherblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    I have a biek
    Posts
    1,668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    If you want to stay in shape, get a trainer not rollers. Rollers are good to work on your pedalling technique and spin, which is what I use mine for. I have some really nice, smooth and quiet Kreitlers with 4.5" drums, but they cost 3X what the Nashbar ones cost. Having said that, the Nashbar ones look like a good deal, provided the shipping isn't too high.
    +1

    Also depend on your storage options. Rollers would easily fit under a bed or in a closet, but a trainer might take up a little more room.

  4. #4
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Storage space isn't an issue for me. Hmmmm.... Now I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with rollers or a trainer. I've never done any indoor training before.

  5. #5
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my trainer setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  6. #6
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pics had me picturing you riding the bike, watching tv, and doing military presses at the same time.

    So if I want to build up endurance and strength it's probably best to do a trainer? I figure I could also work on pedal stroke and spin on one as well if I do low resistance.

    I might go ask carleton on this one.

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,952
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn View Post
    Those pics had me picturing you riding the bike, watching tv, and doing military presses at the same time.

    So if I want to build up endurance and strength it's probably best to do a trainer? I figure I could also work on pedal stroke and spin on one as well if I do low resistance.

    I might go ask carleton on this one.
    Trainers and Rollers do different things in a similar fashion.

    Variable gears help extend the trainer's range of resistance quite a bit.

    I ride rollers with my track bike and I ride the fluid trainer with my road bike. Rollers to work on technique and trainer to work on fitness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •