Haven't been on these forums in a while, and I just started riding more frequently again. Feels good to be back on a bike!
Just building up a new (to me) Rush. Deciding between the Soma curved threadless fork or the threaded version. Leaning toward the threaded version but concerned that Soma lists the threaded fork as 41mm rake rather than 38mm for the threadless.
1) Why is this the case?
2) How much does it matter?
Also the Soma site lists the seat tube diameter as 27.2 but I tried putting in a Thompson 27.2 but it's a super tight fit and scratching the anodizing. Any suggestions?
There might be burrs on the inside of the seat tube, there's a tool for removing them, or you could very gently run a file around the rim to smooth it
3mm difference in rake won't make a noticeable difference to most.
Put a barrel brush on a power drill and clean up the seat tube.
Thanks guys. Will post when it's done.
Some thoughts on my next Rush build. I'm really liking the soon to arrive 2014 all chrome Rush, and thinking of doing something very classic / retro:
1) Threaded chrome fork, Tange Levin NJS headset, Nitto/Cinelli/Deda silver polished quill stem.
2) Velo Orange Grand Cru track wheelset with silver polished hubs and box section rims with Panaracer Pasela PT 700x28c tires.
3) Old Sugino Mighty (parts bin) or new IRD Defiant silver polished 144 bcd cranks.
4) Brooks Pro honey saddle and Velo Orange Grand Cru silver seatpost (stolen from Kilo WT).
5) Either old Cinelli Giro D'Italia road drop bar or Nitto Riser. If I use the Cinelli bar, then I'll also use an old 26.4mm clamp Cinelli stem that needs to be stripped of its ugly black anodizing. Tape might be tan leather (first time I've ever done this). If I use the Nitto bar, then I'll probably use cork grips.
6) Silver chain, chrome or stainless steel cog / lockring
7) MKS Urban Platform silver pedals with MKS medium steel chrome toe clips and Toshi white single straps.
8) Front brake - IDK.
Anyway, all of this is just pie in the sky right now, since I need another FG like I need another hole in my head. Feel free to interject any thoughts or suggestions.
There's more info on the new Soma Rush:
1) Sold as complete frameset with chrome 38mm offset fork
2) Bottle bosses on seat tube
3) Clearance for 700x32c tires (w/o brakes)
4) Price of frameset from Soma is $499.99, which is less than a frame and fork purchased separately
TT, I was thinking that you haven't bought a bike in a few weeks, wtf?
I'd like to see you build up that Rush, so maybe I could copy it!