Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-11, 01:39 PM   #1
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Decision time...

I finished my first build in many years and it came out awesome but I'm too emotionally attached (don't laugh) to chain up at the job. I work overnights in midtown Manhattan. I really wanted to get that Kilo TT to commute with but they stay sold out in my size and color so I'm thinking about the Schwinn Cutter as my commuter. Anyone have any idea how this bike compares to the Kilo? Or if it's even a good bike?
s_12_CUT_WHT_6.jpg
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 01:50 PM   #2
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That thing looks like dump.

Why not get one of the other BD offerings. The Windsor Timeline is the most underrated bike on the BD website. Its cheap, sturdy, unobtrusive looking, takes big tires, racks, fenders. What more could you possibly want for a beater/commuter?
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:04 PM   #3
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.
 
EpicSchwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes: '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen one around campus. They look pretty cheapo. This guy had the lime green and pink one
EpicSchwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:06 PM   #4
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you think the Windsor is better than the Schwinn? I know Schwinn used to be considered good bikes but I don't know how true that is anymore.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:09 PM   #5
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See, this is why I'm here. Any moron can write a review, doesn't mean he knows sh*t from shinola about bikes. I trust you guys more. The guy in the lbs tells me anything I mention that he can't sell me is crap. He raves about the Schwinn and tells me to stay away from Mercier so I don't trust him either.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:17 PM   #6
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
So you think the Windsor is better than the Schwinn? I know Schwinn used to be considered good bikes but I don't know how true that is anymore.
Its not a question of which one is better. They are both basic TIG welded chromo frames sourced from Asian factories with different assortments of generic parts. Neither are high quality, but they aren't total **** either. They are both durable and will last a long time and are worthy of some upgrades.

If I were in your shoes, looking for a cheap functional commuter that I wouldn't feel too bad if it got stolen, the only real questions in my mind would be (1) cost, (2) functionality, and (3) does it stand out like a sore thumb?

I don't know how much the cutter costs, but the timeline is a steal. The Timeline appears to ber more adaptable and doesn't attract as much attention to itself.

Fit and geometry are also important, but for your intended purposes, I'm sure you can make either fit just fine, and minor handling differences attributable to frame geometry are going to be minor and basically irrelevant.

Last edited by mihlbach; 12-29-11 at 02:24 PM.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:18 PM   #7
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.
 
EpicSchwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes: '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back when I was your age, they made Schwinns in Chicago and they were pretty respectable bikes. They do have a couple of halo models, like the Madison which aren't bad but it seems like most of what they make isn't aimed at cycling enthusiasts anymore. The cutter isn't as bad as the Thruster but from the few times I've seen it in person I'd say it's more on par with a Big Shot or something.
EpicSchwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:19 PM   #8
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
See, this is why I'm here. Any moron can write a review, doesn't mean he knows sh*t from shinola about bikes. I trust you guys more. The guy in the lbs tells me anything I mention that he can't sell me is crap. He raves about the Schwinn and tells me to stay away from Mercier so I don't trust him either.
Your LBS guy is full of ****/just trying to make a buck. See my above post.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:19 PM   #9
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.
 
EpicSchwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes: '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Its not a question of which one is better. They are both basic TIG welded chromo frames sourced from Asian factories with different assortments of generic parts. Neither are high quality, but they aren't total **** either. They are both durable and will last a long time and are worthy of some upgrades.

If I were in your shoes, looking for a cheap functional commuter that I wouldn't feel too bad if it got stolen, the only real questions in my mind would be (1) cost, (2) functionality, and (3) does it stand out like a sore thumb?

I don't know how much the cutter costs, but the timeline is a steal. The Timeline looks far more adaptable and doesn't attract as much attention.
Cutter isn't cro-mo, it's hi ten with a cro-mo fork. It costs $410.
EpicSchwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:29 PM   #10
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn View Post
Cutter isn't cro-mo, it's hi ten with a cro-mo fork. It costs $410.
OK...didn't know that. ....but even this doesn't really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things...just means it weighs a bit more than a 4130 chromoly frame. However I wouldn't pay $410 for it...**** that ****. The Timeline is 4130 as are all the BD framesets (as far as I am aware). Not trying to be a BD shill here, but if you need a good cheap bike, you can't beat em.

Last edited by mihlbach; 12-29-11 at 02:42 PM.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:45 PM   #11
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The lbs wanted $380 for the Schwinn but like I said, I don't trust him. He's done some repairs for me which were on the level but when it comes to sales the only good products are the ones he can sell me. The Schwinn does kinda stand out like a neon sign. Thanks for the advice, I think I heard what I needed to.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:58 PM   #12
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
The lbs wanted $380 for the Schwinn but like I said, I don't trust him. He's done some repairs for me which were on the level but when it comes to sales the only good products are the ones he can sell me. The Schwinn does kinda stand out like a neon sign. Thanks for the advice, I think I heard what I needed to.
I understand the the LBS wants to make a sale, but being blatantly deceptive about the relative qualities of bikes they do and don't sell isn't acceptable in my book. Its also a stupid way to compete. Most people aren't that stupid.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 02:58 PM   #13
xfive
Junior Member
 
xfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
OK...didn't know that. ....but even this doesn't really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things...just means it weighs a bit more than a 4130 chromoly frame.
i remember bending and cracking hi-ten frames as a kid, no way its only a weight difference.
xfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 03:02 PM   #14
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfive View Post
i remember completely destroying hi-ten frames as a kid, no way its only a weight difference.
I destroyed many 4130 frames too, BMX, MTB, and Road.
Steel frames made of lower quality materials generally use more material. The consequence is similar strength, but with more weight. Thats true of hi-ten all the way to the best (e.g Reynolds 953). So I doubt the cutter is weaker, just heavier.

The frames you destroyed as a kid were probably underbuilt. When I was BMXing in the mid 80s, the frames available at the time were basically designed like race bikes and were underbuilt for tricks, even the high quality ones. I can't even remember how may cro-mo BMX frames I have broken.

Last edited by mihlbach; 12-29-11 at 03:11 PM.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 03:13 PM   #15
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.
 
jimmytango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd go SE Lager if you want new. I've put over 4000 miles on mine. Daily commute through Chicago, centuries on gravel/dirt trails, all day leisure rides through the city... The only things I've replaced have been tape, tubes, and brake pads. That being said, it's a 2010 model, and I'm completely clueless about the new ones.

If I were you, I'd hit Craigslist for a used bike.
jimmytango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 03:23 PM   #16
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytango View Post
I'd go SE Lager if you want new. I've put over 4000 miles on mine. Daily commute through Chicago, centuries on gravel/dirt trails, all day leisure rides through the city... The only things I've replaced have been tape, tubes, and brake pads. That being said, it's a 2010 model, and I'm completely clueless about the new ones.

If I were you, I'd hit Craigslist for a used bike.
I looked at the Lager but it's almost twice as much. I'm not cheap and I can afford it but where it's gonna be chained the chances of it getting messed with are pretty good. I have a good locking system (Cryptonite and Master) so it probably won't get taken but might get messed with still. I'll check cl and see if I can get it for less but $600 is a little more than I'm willing to chain in midtown at night.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 04:45 PM   #17
striknein
Goes to 11.
 
striknein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross
Posts: 2,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Timeline++

Just be aware that while you can't make a direct comparison to the Kilo TT, there is a reason it's $60 or so cheaper. The hubs are loose ball with a metal dust cap, compared to cartridge bearings on the TT. The headset also has caged ball bearings. These things will make a difference if you're exposing the bike to the elements on a daily basis.
striknein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 04:53 PM   #18
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.
 
jimmytango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
I looked at the Lager but it's almost twice as much. I'm not cheap and I can afford it but where it's gonna be chained the chances of it getting messed with are pretty good. I have a good locking system (Cryptonite and Master) so it probably won't get taken but might get messed with still. I'll check cl and see if I can get it for less but $600 is a little more than I'm willing to chain in midtown at night.
Wow! I didn't realize it had gone up that much. Mine was $400.
jimmytango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 04:57 PM   #19
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by striknein View Post
Timeline++

Just be aware that while you can't make a direct comparison to the Kilo TT, there is a reason it's $60 or so cheaper. The hubs are loose ball with a metal dust cap, compared to cartridge bearings on the TT. The headset also has caged ball bearings. These things will make a difference if you're exposing the bike to the elements on a daily basis.
Only the Kilo TT Pro has cartridge bearing hubs. The basic Kilo TT has the same hubs as the Timeline. And those hubs do not adjust very well either.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
TejanoTrackie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 08:49 PM   #20
markaitch
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A1A
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
I looked at the Lager but it's almost twice as much. I'm not cheap and I can afford it but where it's gonna be chained the chances of it getting messed with are pretty good. I have a good locking system (Cryptonite and Master) so it probably won't get taken but might get messed with still. I'll check cl and see if I can get it for less but $600 is a little more than I'm willing to chain in midtown at night.
i like se bikes but they always hoor themselves to online discounters to dump leftover stock & anybody that pays close to msrp for their ss/fg bikes is a fool. if you cant find a lager somewhere online for $350 or less you don't know how to shop on the interwebz. and while its not as low as when they were on bonktown, you can still get a draft lite from dept of goods for $200 if low price is your main qualifier...
markaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 10:29 PM   #21
vanderhoogta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kennewick, WA
Bikes: '09 Schwinn Cutter, '74 Austro Daimler
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a cutter, the 2009 (so black) and it's a good bike. A little heavier than I'd like, but she gets the job done I paid 250 for mine. I think you should wait out the kilo tho.
vanderhoogta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 02:34 PM   #22
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderhoogta View Post
I have a cutter, the 2009 (so black) and it's a good bike. A little heavier than I'd like, but she gets the job done I paid 250 for mine. I think you should wait out the kilo tho.
I want to but the site doesn't even list the model anymore. They have the stripper, chrome, custom and geared models but not the TT.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 02:57 PM   #23
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOX NYC View Post
I want to but the site doesn't even list the model anymore. They have the stripper, chrome, custom and geared models but not the TT.
Huh ? >>> http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/trackbikes.htm
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
TejanoTrackie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 07:08 PM   #24
krustyone
Roll Model
 
krustyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portage, WI
Bikes: GF ARC Pro, Surly Cross Check, SohoS, Pugsley, Schwinn FG
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/com...artmentofgoods

Last edited by krustyone; 12-30-11 at 07:13 PM.
krustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 08:20 PM   #25
INOX NYC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
INOX NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Yea, they restocked. Up until yesterday that model was removed.
INOX NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.