Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    newbee questions

    I want to either build or buy a single speed mountain bike in the spring, how do I choose the best gear ratio? What if the gears are to big or small, can I change them?

  2. #2
    my dad can still crush me
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride a geared bike around and find out what gear you can do almost everything in.

    Yes, easily.

    look at http://www.63xc.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A3rd.Zero
    Ride a geared bike around and find out what gear you can do almost everything in.

    Yes, easily.

    look at http://www.63xc.com/
    I didn't say fixed gear, I said single speed

  4. #4
    Philly bike nerd nocoins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Center City Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    2003 Fuji Track Bike,Pink Univega, Mixed part BMX, Early 70's Columbia Tandem, Orange and Cream Fixed gear Pursuit bike (Puig), random bikes made from spare parts
    Posts
    575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear head
    I didn't say fixed gear, I said single speed
    it doesnt matter really. search some of the threads, you will see what kind of gears people are running. It depends on your leg strength and what kind of area you are biking in. If you are taking about Mountain biking, then check that link that the last person sent you. really, the best way to figure out the right gear is to play around with a geared bike, then see what you end up using. it was good advice. have fun!
    bike bike bike bike bike bike bike bike bike

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nocoins
    it doesnt matter really. search some of the threads, you will see what kind of gears people are running. It depends on your leg strength and what kind of area you are biking in. If you are taking about Mountain biking, then check that link that the last person sent you. really, the best way to figure out the right gear is to play around with a geared bike, then see what you end up using. it was good advice. have fun!
    whats involved in replacing the gear on the rear axle? is it bolted on? pressed on?

  6. #6
    Philly bike nerd nocoins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Center City Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    2003 Fuji Track Bike,Pink Univega, Mixed part BMX, Early 70's Columbia Tandem, Orange and Cream Fixed gear Pursuit bike (Puig), random bikes made from spare parts
    Posts
    575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear head
    whats involved in replacing the gear on the rear axle? is it bolted on? pressed on?
    http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

    this will answer all your questions
    bike bike bike bike bike bike bike bike bike

  7. #7
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •