Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member derek.fulmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MASH frames: a different ride feel?

    For those of you who own/ride the Cinelli MASH frames with the forward sloping top tube, does it pitch you forward/downward at all? Is your riding position much more aggressive?

  2. #2
    hamcycles.com hamfoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as someone who rides bolt geo: nah, it's not very aggressive. the histogram is a bit more though I believe

    semi derail: mash bullhorn owners -- is it worth it? they've finally restocked and it's time to replace the dedas
    Bikes - past and present

  3. #3
    Senior Member Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    Raleigh RHP, Raleigh Team 2002
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sloping does not make anything aggressive at all. Its the headtube and seat tube angles that makes it aggressive. The mash will feel like anyother mid range track bike out there.

  4. #4
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    The sloping does not make anything aggressive at all. Its the headtube and seat tube angles that makes it aggressive. The mash will feel like anyother mid range track bike out there.
    QFT. The bike could even have an upward sloping top tube and it wouldn't change anything. The biggest factors in the aggressiveness of geometry are HT and ST angles and wheelbase.
    I guess the only real difference is that with a downward sloping top tube you can have a shorter head tube and thus get more saddle to bar drop.

  5. #5
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn View Post
    I guess the only real difference is that with a downward sloping top tube you can have a shorter head tube and thus get more saddle to bar drop.
    Not really. It just means you don't need as much seatpost.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle to bar drop is a factor of how high your seat is and how far your bars are down. You can get any drop you want just move your seat or bars.

  7. #7
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    Saddle to bar drop is a factor of how high your seat is and how far your bars are down. You can get any drop you want just move your seat or bars.
    Proper seat height is a constant. The only thing that can vary is bar height. Same principle applies to reach. As to the Mash, the forward sloping top tube is just a style thing that has no real advantage or disadvantage.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  8. #8
    Dcv
    Dcv is offline
    Senior Member Dcv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn View Post
    QFT. The bike could even have an upward sloping top tube and it wouldn't change anything. The biggest factors in the aggressiveness of geometry are HT and ST angles and wheelbase.
    I guess the only real difference is that with a downward sloping top tube you can have a shorter head tube and thus get more saddle to bar drop.
    TT's right, saddle height is constant. Epic's also right - you can get more drop because the headtube is shorter.


    for me i notice the aluminum frame material more than the geometry.

  9. #9
    Dcv
    Dcv is offline
    Senior Member Dcv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huge headtube:

  10. #10
    i smell bacon yummygooey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, Soma Grand Randonneur, TET Track, Trek 6500 MTB
    Posts
    5,597
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Push your saddle all the way forward on a zero setback post and tilt your saddle and bars down. Then maybe you'll feel pitched forward.
    // yummygooey

  11. #11
    Senior Member redpear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    huge headtube:
    Which is a reminder that there are several factors which contribute to saddle to bar drop. Obviously riding a frame that is smaller vs. bigger will give you drop.

    I once heard that lo pro frames give a little more stiffness because they make the larger triangle more triangular.
    It's likely, like many of those little things, not going to make a difference, true or false.

  12. #12
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpear View Post
    I once heard that lo pro frames give a little more stiffness because they make the larger triangle more triangular.
    Technobabble.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  13. #13
    Senior Member redpear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the statement after that statement.

  14. #14
    Dcv
    Dcv is offline
    Senior Member Dcv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpear View Post
    Which is a reminder that there are several factors which contribute to saddle to bar drop. Obviously riding a frame that is smaller vs. bigger will give you drop.

    I once heard that lo pro frames give a little more stiffness because they make the larger triangle more triangular.
    It's likely, like many of those little things, not going to make a difference, true or false.
    I don't think it makes any difference

    Edit: I do like more drop though

  15. #15
    Senior Member redpear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you ride a frame that is a tad bit smaller, you'll have the same seatpost height but with a shorter headtube. So in effect you can have more potential drop.

    This is Andrew LaCorte's Kissena. He is a bit over 6 foot but his frame is based on a medium sized Kissena. Note the use of a rise stem to match his fit and the giant seatmast. Just imagined if he slammed that stem and made it level!

  16. #16
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,255
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpear View Post
    Well, if you ride a frame that is a tad bit smaller, you'll have the same seatpost height but with a shorter headtube. So in effect you can have more potential drop.

    This is Andrew LaCorte's Kissena. He is a bit over 6 foot but his frame is based on a medium sized Kissena. Note the use of a rise stem to match his fit and the giant seatmast. Just imagined if he slammed that stem and made it level!
    LaCorte is about 6'3". I know he's taller than me. He has long legs and rides with a compact (as opposed to stretched) arm position, hence the relatively short TT.



  17. #17
    Dcv
    Dcv is offline
    Senior Member Dcv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpear View Post
    Well, if you ride a frame that is a tad bit smaller, you'll have the same seatpost height but with a shorter headtube. So in effect you can have more potential drop.

    This is Andrew LaCorte's Kissena. He is a bit over 6 foot but his frame is based on a medium sized Kissena. Note the use of a rise stem to match his fit and the giant seatmast. Just imagined if he slammed that stem and made it level!
    Sorry I should have been clearer, I don't think the triangle stiffness statement made any difference. I wasn't contesting the smaller bike comment. You do end up with a shorter TT like Carleton points out.

  18. #18
    Senior Member redpear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh okay. Yeah, I'm inclined to agree (see the statement after the original statement).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •