ITT: discussion of why it's bad to let yourself get into a situation where the following video will help you:
Generally, if the attacker does what these guys do they're either 1. Dumb 2. Underestimating your ability to do ANYTHING other than give up your ****.
Problems I see with the aboveshown tactics:
1. striking with your wheels:
- is a great way to bend them out of usable true. especially if you run brakes on the striking wheel.
- generally, the tire is going to make it a bad weapon anyway because it's like having a shock absorber. you can **** some **** up while striking with the wheel, but it's not the best. better to use the handlebars or a small blunt object(u-lock)
2. almost all of the scenarios above (like attacker grabbing rim) involve some critical tactical point where you are evenly matched with your opponent. That is to say, these are all simply tactics to get out of your disadvantaged situation (having a big clumsy object between your legs). what works better than knowing how to rock your handlebars from side to side? weapons. pepper spray. Batons. Knives. when you are disadvantaged is the perfect time and reason to bring the proverbial *** to a knifefight. problem is there's always the chance anyone who's willing to try to beat you off your bike is probably the type of character that will have weapons or know how to take yours, and if you are to use weapons in defense that greatly increases your risk that they will use a weapon on you. better to lose a bike than slash someone's hand that's grabbed your handlebar and then get shot while you ride away.
3. if someone wants to hurt you they're going to do it before you have a chance to do any of this if you let it get to that proximity.
about the only thing useful about this video is the advice to use your bike as a shield... which should be done holding the seattube and the front fork up making the bike a wall between you and your attacker.
nothing else in this video is worthwhile and this thread is not to get people angry. if you're going to comment... don't argue with other members. Comment with respect.
for example, i am personally against guns and think *******s or any *** you'd carry on a bike should be banned, CC permit or not. I am even hesitant to carry a knife, because weapons can easily fall into the wrong hands. However, if anyone is pro-weapon i'm going to respect them in this thread, and if you aren't going to comment with respect please don't comment at all.
Has anyone ever had someone try to fight you or mug you while on your bike? I've never been in this situation despite riding through rougher areas at night somewhat often.
TL;DR: play the video in a new window then continue browsing. it's got a great soundtrack!