Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good Fixed Gear Cranksets?

    What're some good fixed gear cranks that I can get under $150?
    I'm thinking of the Sugino Messenger but I'm not sure yet.

    Besides, the sram omnium, s3000, and soma hellyer.

  2. #2
    pro in someone's theory prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    My Bikes
    FTP
    Posts
    2,287
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andels have a reasonably good reputation. They get rebranded by several different suppliers.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...00e60ee6c6272d

  3. #3
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Andels sold at Ben's are great cranksets for the money. I've got 3 of them and they are very well finished and extremely round. I recommend them w/o reservation.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  4. #4
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look similar to: http://www.iminusd.com/iminusd-id144/ but, unbranded goodness? Good to know.
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  5. #5
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,624
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sam Ting.




  6. #6
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found any deal better than Ben's on the Andels. Also, the matching Cobra BB is only $20, and shipping is free. Like I said before, happy camper x 3.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  7. #7
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    I haven't found any deal better than Ben's on the Andels. Also, the matching Cobra BB is only $20, and shipping is free. Like I said before, happy camper x 3.
    Sounds like a win. I'll keep those cranks in mind.

    Thanks for the info!
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  8. #8
    hamcycles.com hamfoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,886
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Affinity cranks with BB come in a little cheaper than Omniums. I haven't got to test them out yet in a real way, but they look gorgeous in person
    Bikes - past and present

  9. #9
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,085
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Those Andels sold at Ben's are great cranksets for the money. I've got 3 of them and they are very well finished and extremely round. I recommend them w/o reservation.
    ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu only available in 165
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  10. #10
    on Baby Charlie Concept~ muckymucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay'yayay
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've usually gotten used Dura-Ace FC-7600 NJS cranks from japanese sellers on ebay for ~$130
    right now im using a $15 shimano sealed plastic cup BB with one of them.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    bradenton FL
    My Bikes
    06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
    Posts
    941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used Shimano 600 cranks with matching BB to give you a good chainline.cheap and good.

    EDIT:And they look good too.

    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RVDGNYp-tthdQY How do hotdogs survive in the wild with no eyes or legs??

  12. #12
    Senior Member BezO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading here that there's nothing wrong with mixing 3/32" and 1/8" cogs/chainrings and using a 1/8" chain. But if I wanted to go all 3/32", are there any cranksets similar to the Andel (price, quality & bolt circle)? Looking for 46T, 165mm cranks.

  13. #13
    GMJ
    GMJ is offline
    Would you just look at it GMJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    My Bikes
    good ones.
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems with Sugino RD2's, but its also the only crankset I've ever owned.
    - George
    PedalRoom
    McChinken: "That's why you put it in the bottom bracket."

  14. #14
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
    I haven't had any problems with Sugino RD2's, but its also the only crankset I've ever owned.
    He wants 3/32 with 144 bcd, and there are not a lot of cranksets made in that combination, although 144bcd 3/32" chainrings can be found individually.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BezO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and didn't mean to hi jack the post. I had the same question, had been reading up on the Andels, and didn't want to start a new post.

  16. #16
    GMJ
    GMJ is offline
    Would you just look at it GMJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    My Bikes
    good ones.
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ****, I didn't see 144bcd.

    I've been periodically checking ebay for some used Dura Ace's that I like in my size to come up so I can swoop.
    - George
    PedalRoom
    McChinken: "That's why you put it in the bottom bracket."

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3/32 and 144 is kind of a limiting combination to be stuck on. If you're shopping for a new crankset, and want to have 144bcd track cranks, you might as well just go with 1/8" chain/chainring. If you're replacing your chain and chainring, you might as well replace your cog so everything will wear evenly.

    Or just get a 130bcd crank w/ a 3/32" chainring and be done with it. For all intents and purposes (you're not racing competitively on the track, right?), there is no difference in performance between 130bcd and 144bcd cranks on your sweet fixie brah. Just go with whatever bolt circle gives you the widest selection of your favorite chainring.

    FWIW I run Omniums on my track bike (velodrome only), and Sram S300 Couriers on my road fixed gear. The Omniums are lighter, the stock chainring is rounder (and of course 1/8" only), and probably stiffer in a lab, but I can't tell the difference (I have run both cranksets on the same frame with the same wheels, tires, pedals, shoes, and bars).

  18. #18
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like sticking with one bcd and thickness, so I can interchange parts among my various bikes. It saves me quite a lot of money. Since my track racing bike has a 144bcd 1/8" drivetrain, I've built all my road FG bikes that way as well. I recently built a Soma Rush road FG with Sugino 75 crank arms, and saved myself $100 on the chainring, because I already had a spare 47T Sugino 75 in my parts bin. I can also interchange rear wheels and cogs, because they are all 1/8" and I run 1/8" chains on all my FG bikes. The one exception is my Wabi Lightning, which came with 3/32", so I've kept it that way. Also, I've never had any problems using a 1/8" chain with a 3/32" chainring / cog.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ridin dirty on IRD defiant cranks.
    not 3/32" but they're 144 and pretty dang cool.

  20. #20
    I fear angry birds Santaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Recalculating
    My Bikes
    2013 Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    2,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano FC-R700 with the second ring dropped out. 105 BB. But the bcd isn't 144
    THE DEVIL

    Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  21. #21
    Senior Member BezO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07 View Post
    3/32 and 144 is kind of a limiting combination to be stuck on. If you're shopping for a new crankset, and want to have 144bcd track cranks, you might as well just go with 1/8" chain/chainring. If you're replacing your chain and chainring, you might as well replace your cog so everything will wear evenly.

    Or just get a 130bcd crank w/ a 3/32" chainring and be done with it. For all intents and purposes (you're not racing competitively on the track, right?), there is no difference in performance between 130bcd and 144bcd cranks on your sweet fixie brah. Just go with whatever bolt circle gives you the widest selection of your favorite chainring.

    FWIW I run Omniums on my track bike (velodrome only), and Sram S300 Couriers on my road fixed gear. The Omniums are lighter, the stock chainring is rounder (and of course 1/8" only), and probably stiffer in a lab, but I can't tell the difference (I have run both cranksets on the same frame with the same wheels, tires, pedals, shoes, and bars).
    I just got a decent deal on a White Industries 17T freewheel, 3/32". When I replace my cranks, I'd like to go 3/32" since the freewheel is probably the nicest part on my bike so far.

    I judge quality of parts mostly by reading and a bike riding, ex-cowker. Outside of my new seat, bars, pedals brake pads & tires, I have no experience with the difference in part quality. I've been looking for 144bcd only to find out what I'm looking for is not common. Bruh, I'm just trying to get my sweet singlespeed freewheel as sweet as possible. I'm learning as I go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristanh666 View Post
    I'm ridin dirty on IRD defiant cranks.
    not 3/32" but they're 144 and pretty dang cool.
    The other crankset I read good things about and liked.

    --------

    I'm not racing. Just commuting 5 miles a day and puting in another 20-30 excersize miles on the weekends. Not sure if 45-55 miles/week is a lot, but I'd like to put together the best bike possible for a reasonable amount of money.

    Is 144bcd making a difference with the amount/type of riding I'm doing?

    I know it's OK to mix 1/8" & 3/32", but I'd like to stay all 3/32" if possible. I recognize a few more options with 130bcd, 46T, 165mm. Sugino RD, Origin8, Pake... but I can't say I read as much good about them.

    Any recommendations on the price & quality level of the Andels & IRDs?
    Last edited by BezO; 01-17-12 at 02:48 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BezO View Post
    I just got a decent deal on a White Industries 17T freewheel, 3/32". When I replace my cranks, I'd like to go 3/32" since the freewheel is probably the nicest part on my bike so far.

    I judge quality of parts mostly by reading and a bike riding, ex-cowker. Outside of my new seat, bars, pedals brake pads & tires, I have no experience with the difference in part quality. I've been looking for 144bcd only to find out what I'm looking for is not common. Bruh, I'm just trying to get my sweet singlespeed freewheel as sweet as possible. I'm learning as I go.

    The other crankset I read good things about and liked.

    --------

    I'm not racing. Just commuting 5 miles a day and puting in another 20-30 excersize miles on the weekends. Not sure if 45-55 miles/week is a lot, but I'd like to put together the best bike possible for a reasonable amount of money.

    Is 144bcd making a difference with the amount/type of riding I'm doing?

    I know it's OK to mix 1/8" & 3/32", but I'd like to stay all 3/32" if possible. I recognize a few more options with 130bcd, 46T, 165mm. Sugino RD, Origin8, Pake... but I can't say I read as much good about them.

    Any recommendations on the price & quality level of the Andels & IRDs?

    Brah, WI freewheels are the nicest freewheels ever. You are right to stick w/ 3/32" if you're running a WI freewheel (side note: they don't play well w/ 9-speed chains, stick with 8-speed, like the Sram PC-850). The Sram S300 1.1's are really nice, that would be my recommendation.

  23. #23
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRAM S300, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  24. #24
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    CAAD3, CAAD10, GT Avalanche
    Posts
    9,750
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same Andel's on eBay for $69.99 free shipping from Ben's....
    idk why the better deal... but i don't mind.....

  25. #25
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,624
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not the same Andels. Those are an older model and the arms aren't as nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •