Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trying to fix up a Road to a fixie!!!!

    Hey guys, I currently have an older Road bike and need to find out what kind of bike it is. It was my Dad's and passed it on to me when he passed away. I found the serial number but haven't been able to find much more on it except the names of of the handle bars which say KB, and then the Gears which says Shimano. I know it has a horizontal dropout in the back which will make it easier to tighten the chain.

    The serial number is M09 007195. "there is space between the M09 and the rest"
    If it's not worth much then I probably wouldn't want to put all that money into it.

    HEEEEEEELP!!!!

    There is a picture below!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,793
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the all important schwinn or not schwinn test. What's the tire size?

    If it's a schwinn it should have an oddball tire width.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tire says (32-630) 27 X 1 and 1/4

  4. #4
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,793
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell, the folks over at the classic and vintage forum may be of more help...
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  5. #5
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not a Schwinn. Cheap steel welded gas pipe frame with one-piece (Ashtabula) cranks and 27" wheels with steel rims. Easily converted to single speed (freewheel), but not so easy (safe) fixed gear. I wouldn't bother trying to make it a fixed gear but it could be a cheap fun single speed.
    Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 02-02-12 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any idea what its worth then?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Spoonrobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $0-$15

    Lean towards the low end.

  8. #8
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    tirove
    Posts
    8,544
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for your loss


    definitely worth more to you than anyone else. if i were you i'd do a total vintage restoration with period correct parts and maybe get the frame painted if there's any rust.

    it would be worth it to me.

  9. #9
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1970's Huffy. The same frame was made into the 1990's.

    -Kurt

  10. #10
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smlozier View Post
    Hey guys, I currently have an older Road bike and need to find out what kind of bike it is. It was my Dad's and passed it on to me when he passed away. I found the serial number but haven't been able to find much more on it except the names of of the handle bars which say KB, and then the Gears which says Shimano. I know it has a horizontal dropout in the back which will make it easier to tighten the chain.

    The serial number is M09 007195. "there is space between the M09 and the rest"
    If it's not worth much then I probably wouldn't want to put all that money into it.

    HEEEEEEELP!!!!

    There is a picture below!
    Sorry for your loss.

    Ask about old bikes in http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

    They will probably give you the answers within a few hours.

    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Definitely not a Schwinn. Cheap steel welded gas pipe frame with one-piece (Ashtabula) cranks and 27" wheels with steel rims. Easily converted to single speed (freewheel), but not so easy (safe) fixed gear. I wouldn't bother trying to make it a fixed gear but it could be a cheap fun single speed.
    +1

    I'd pass on converting it at all.

    Conversions are best (from a cost/benefit perspective) performed on non-functioning bikes as a way to use something that would normally not be functional. This bike looks like it works. It may need a tuneup and some fresh cables.

    Maybe save your time and money and buy a proper fixed gear bike.

  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    1970's Huffy. The same frame was made into the 1990's.

    -Kurt
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •