Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    My Bikes
    Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Surly Pugsley snowmachine

    Anyone ridden the Surly Pugsley on snow? Is it worth the wait til next spring to buy one?

  2. #2
    Iguana Subsystem dolface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    4,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy crap! i just looked up that bike on google and found this: http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/s....php?photo=479

    is it supposed to be that ugly?

  3. #3
    The Silver Hammer emayex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller, Specialized Hardrock, Lynskey Cooper
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugly? it awesome!

  4. #4
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The front and rear wheels are interchangeable! That takes "flip flop" to a whole new level.

  5. #5
    The Silver Hammer emayex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller, Specialized Hardrock, Lynskey Cooper
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shiiit yo...sign me up

  6. #6
    (Grouchy)
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snow bikes dominated interbike this year...well, at least, there were way more than i would've expected. cruisers and choppers dominated interbike...but there were still a lot of snow bikes.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man! i almost wish i didnt live in the harsh 50 degree winter jsut so i could ride one!! damn that thing is rad, too bad i have no use for it.... i guess ill jsut have to move....

  8. #8
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastRadius
    The front and rear wheels are interchangeable! That takes "flip flop" to a whole new level.
    Uh, no flipping or flopping if you want the disks to work.

    I remember reading somewhere about using two rear fixed wheels for touring - 4 gears available. You could do 4fix, 3 fix/1 flop, 2 fix/2flop - seemed like a good idea. I don't remember what kind of bike they were talking about doing it on, though.

  9. #9
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible
    oh man! i almost wish i didnt live in the harsh 50 degree winter jsut so i could ride one!! damn that thing is rad, too bad i have no use for it.... i guess ill jsut have to move....
    Big tired bikes are good in sand too. Got any of that?
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  10. #10
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HereNT
    Uh, no flipping or flopping if you want the disks to work.

    I remember reading somewhere about using two rear fixed wheels for touring - 4 gears available. You could do 4fix, 3 fix/1 flop, 2 fix/2flop - seemed like a good idea. I don't remember what kind of bike they were talking about doing it on, though.
    The Rivendell Quickbeam has a flip/flop in the rear, long dropouts and a double chainring up front allowing for four combos. The dropouts are designed to allow for an 8 tooth difference. A bit overkill for me, but surely appealing to a few out there.
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  11. #11
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    The Rivendell Quickbeam has a flip/flop in the rear, long dropouts and a double chainring up front allowing for four combos. The dropouts are designed to allow for an 8 tooth difference. A bit overkill for me, but surely appealing to a few out there.
    This wasn't a double chainring, they were talking about 4 cogs I think. It might have been on the fixed gear mailing list. I'm pretty positive that they were talking about switching front and rear wheels... But who remembers what they read off the net months ago?

  12. #12
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HereNT
    This wasn't a double chainring, they were talking about 4 cogs I think. It might have been on the fixed gear mailing list. I'm pretty positive that they were talking about switching front and rear wheels... But who remembers what they read off the net months ago?
    Yeah, I understood you were talking about something more along the lines of the Pugsley, the Riv is just another way of achieving the same combos. For the bike you are talking about you'd need a custom fork spaced for 120mm (is using a track hub). Pretty easy really and you could probably cold set an existing steel fork if anyone wanted to experiment.
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  13. #13
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd end up having to do both if you wanted 4 gears. In order to have enough variation between the gears, you'd have to have super long dropouts or add/remove chain. If you had 2 rings up front, that problem would probably go away...

  14. #14
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be able to blaze my own winter commuting routes with something like that.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    My Bikes
    Giant VT, Kona Hot commuter, Fetish Fixation ss, Fetish velocita road bike, ATP recumbent set up as human powered snowmobile (2 skis)
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Sand or snow. I want it because I live between the desert and the snow. It would be great on sand. You still need to follow snowmobile trails offroad though in winter, it's not like it would float thru virgin powder.

  16. #16
    Retrogrouch in Training bostontrevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Knee-deep in the day-to-day
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pugsley looks like a damn lot of fun, especially on sand. I would expect it to float on sand.

    On the other hand, it's a monsterously outsized machine. The frame is supposed to be wicked expensive and the tires promise to be hard to source and more than you want to spend. I'm still feeling pretty good about 26x2.1".

  17. #17
    Total Hack labratmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, I'm not a big Surly fan, but that looks great.

    What's up with the big weird braze ons on the top tube?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •