Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    CSI NY goes fixie...at least they try to.

    I was watching this tonite on my HD Tivo. The show for next week is apparently about an NYC messenger. So I see some shots of a bike, so I say, what the heck, let's see how "real" they are...

    I freeze it and sure enough, the guy's on a geared MTB.

  2. #2
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I was watching this tonite on my HD Tivo. The show for next week is apparently about an NYC messenger. So I see some shots of a bike, so I say, what the heck, let's see how "real" they are...

    I freeze it and sure enough, the guy's on a geared MTB.
    I'm sure some NYC messengers ride geared bikes.

  3. #3
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they will have any useful scientific data about the treads on bike tires...

  4. #4
    Good Afternoon! SamHouston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    cannondale cad5, urbanist fixed
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More ride geared than not, fixed is still a relative minority. I've only ridden fixed for 4-5 years and was geared for a year in there because of my knees but I've been a messenger for 12 years. Now I'm fixed in the winter, both geared and fixed in the summer. Out of the 12-13thousand messengers in North America I'd estimate that maybe 1500 ride fixed tops, probably not even that many.

  5. #5
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I was watching this tonite on my HD Tivo. The show for next week is apparently about an NYC messenger. So I see some shots of a bike, so I say, what the heck, let's see how "real" they are...

    I freeze it and sure enough, the guy's on a geared MTB.

    I'm shocked, you mean CSI isn't an accurate portrayal of crime investigation in New York? That cops really don't look like Vanessa Ferilto Next thing you know, you'll be telling me those whacky hijinks of the "Friends" were unrealistic too.

  6. #6
    Chronic Tai Shan ofofhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    '74 Fuji SRS
    Posts
    1,115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was up in NYC three weeks ago, and saw a bunch of messengers on geared MTBs. I hardly saw anyone riding fixed or single speed.
    From Craig's List: IF its a singlespeed that means----all the other parts are broken cut off and dumped...dont buy singlespeeds, the bikes will make your balls fall off

    * no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

  7. #7
    Retrogrouch in Training bostontrevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Knee-deep in the day-to-day
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I was watching this tonite on my HD Tivo. The show for next week is apparently about an NYC messenger. So I see some shots of a bike, so I say, what the heck, let's see how "real" they are...

    I freeze it and sure enough, the guy's on a geared MTB.
    Scandalous! You should drop a note to the BMANY right quick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    ATL
    My Bikes
    Univega - fixed conversion
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston
    More ride geared than not, fixed is still a relative minority. I've only ridden fixed for 4-5 years and was geared for a year in there because of my knees but I've been a messenger for 12 years. Now I'm fixed in the winter, both geared and fixed in the summer. Out of the 12-13thousand messengers in North America I'd estimate that maybe 1500 ride fixed tops, probably not even that many.

    So ... are you still a posenger if you ride fixed but are not a messenger? It seems to me that all the folks riding geared bikes are the real posengers.

  9. #9
    Night Falls dirtydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Francisco + vancouver
    My Bikes
    Kilfoy custom track
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this thread sucks

  10. #10
    idée fixée iamjberube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    back of the house
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed

  11. #11
    Senior Member gilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Brava (fixed), Nishiki Prestige (fixed), Plum Vainqueur (track), Fuji Boulevard (Single-speed)
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care what kind of bike they ride....I'm a CSI fan. And if they want to throw in something about bikes, that's just another excuse for me to watch.

    Wow, coming out feels so good!

  12. #12
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big CSI fan too. CSI:NY is good but CSI:Miami just doesn't do it for me. Must be the monotonous tone David Caruso's character uses throughout the entire show.

    Too bad Grissom "screwed" Lady Heather. That was an intriguing pair-up. I hope they bring her back.

  13. #13
    Who said turtles are slow
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    My Bikes
    2004 Norco Wolverine & 2005 TREK 1500
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastRadius
    I'm a big CSI fan too. CSI:NY is good but CSI:Miami just doesn't do it for me. Must be the monotonous tone David Caruso's character uses throughout the entire show.

    Too bad Grissom "screwed" Lady Heather. That was an intriguing pair-up. I hope they bring her back.
    Right on. I totally argee, Caruso sucks. It would be so awesome to see Grissom & Lady Heather together again

  14. #14
    Senior Member oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think each CSI has gotten progressively worse. Original is best. Also seems that each spinoff is filmed even darker and darker...weird.

    Caruso's too brooding. But the guy from Medical Investigation tries to emulate him too much.

  15. #15
    72 & Sunny adamkell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    '93 Yamaguchi Pursuit track bike, Alan Super Record
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really don't care for the CSI shows. I could think of a handful of little things that bugged me about them, but could never succinctly state why I refuse to watch. And then I found out that Jerry Bruckheimer produces them. I said: "Ohhh...it makes sense now."

  16. #16
    Good Afternoon! SamHouston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    cannondale cad5, urbanist fixed
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    So ... are you still a posenger if you ride fixed but are not a messenger? It seems to me that all the folks riding geared bikes are the real posengers.
    Well, if you are a messenger it doesn't matter if you ride unicycle that you pedal with your hands you are by definition not a posenger. Since messers weren't the first to ride fixed gears then the people that ride them today aren't posenger either. The folk who've never been messers but adopt the "messenger style" don't qualify as posengers any more than hardcore music enthusiasts that aren't actually in a band but have leather pants and spiked belts do. It just looks good so why not do it, right?

    So actually the only thing that could qualify as a "posenger" would be someone that adopts the style but then also rides around a city 10 hours a day from building to building pretending to drop off and pick up packages...none of you do that do you?

  17. #17
    Night Falls dirtydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Francisco + vancouver
    My Bikes
    Kilfoy custom track
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston
    Well, if you are a messenger it doesn't matter if you ride unicycle that you pedal with your hands you are by definition not a posenger. Since messers weren't the first to ride fixed gears then the people that ride them today aren't posenger either. The folk who've never been messers but adopt the "messenger style" don't qualify as posengers any more than hardcore music enthusiasts that aren't actually in a band but have leather pants and spiked belts do. It just looks good so why not do it, right?

    So actually the only thing that could qualify as a "posenger" would be someone that adopts the style but then also rides around a city 10 hours a day from building to building pretending to drop off and pick up packages...none of you do that do you?
    well said, and funny/

  18. #18
    Nameless Serbaside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    SS Road bike (nothing outstanding), Fixed Batavus (1970)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston
    So actually the only thing that could qualify as a "posenger" would be someone that adopts the style but then also rides around a city 10 hours a day from building to building pretending to drop off and pick up packages...none of you do that do you?
    HAHA, love that...
    The SS/fixed gear forum always gets the funniest posts

  19. #19
    Dictator trystero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Minnesota, Saint Paul, East Side; Dayton's Bluff
    My Bikes
    What... all of them?!?
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastRadius
    I'm a big CSI fan too. CSI:NY is good but CSI:Miami just doesn't do it for me. Must be the monotonous tone David Caruso's character uses throughout the entire show.

    Too bad Grissom "screwed" Lady Heather. That was an intriguing pair-up. I hope they bring her back.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl
    Right on. I totally argee, Caruso sucks. It would be so awesome to see Grissom & Lady Heather together again
    Y'all just can't appreciate the nostalgia of Caruso's style. What if the late John Wayne or late Jack Lord were to star in a current cop drama? Would you hold them to the same standards that you hold Caruso to? 'Cause I'm sure they'd suck too. I'd bet 20 or 30 years from now when CSI Miami is wedged between Hawaii 5-0 and NYPD Blue (post-Caruso) on some cable re-run channel, the dramatized stoic nature that Caruso can produce will be easier to appreciate when placed in such a spectrum of class and crap.

  20. #20
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston
    So actually the only thing that could qualify as a "posenger" would be someone that adopts the style but then also rides around a city 10 hours a day from building to building pretending to drop off and pick up packages...none of you do that do you?
    Not ten hours a day, but I've done that... Usually a smoke in front of the building, not going in and delivering something.... Or pretending to.

  21. #21
    Bow$$ dustinlikewhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland
    My Bikes
    Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston
    So actually the only thing that could qualify as a "posenger" would be someone that adopts the style but then also rides around a city 10 hours a day from building to building pretending to drop off and pick up packages...none of you do that do you?
    genius.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •