Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member smurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    My Bikes
    Leader 722TS, Surly Steamroller, Panasonic DX-3000, Trek 4900
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Approximate SS gear ratio?

    Putting together my first SS bike, and am planning on using a 48t x 17t gear ratio. I'd like to simulate that ratio with my current road bike so I can get a feel for what it will be like. I have a mid '80s Panasonic DX-3000 that has a 52/42T ring up front, and a 14-28T freewheel. Is there a gear ratio I can achieve that would closely match the 48t x 17t?

  2. #2
    Senior Member LessonLearned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    "Hold it right there, son. You know why I pulled you over? Let me see you whip-skid that sweet fixie."
    PedalRoom

  3. #3
    Cat Enthusiast ddeadserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Plymouth, MI
    My Bikes
    All City Nature Boy
    Posts
    2,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48/17 is about 75 gear inches.
    42/15 will give you 74GI.
    52/18 will give you 76GI.

    I think those are about as close as you're going to get with your limited chainring sizing. I run 48x17 and have found it to be a very nice ratio for most riding.
    ALL CITY NATURE BOY

  4. #4
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,646
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be smarter to find a gear ratio you like using on the Panasonic, and then replicate that on your SS?
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  5. #5
    Hi, I'm Bryan. jimmytango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Side of Chicago
    My Bikes
    2010 Focus Mares Expert
    Posts
    2,644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Wouldn't it be smarter to find a gear ratio you like using on the Panasonic, and then replicate that on your SS?
    Brilliant
    I am not the company I keep.

  6. #6
    Senior Member LessonLearned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. But go a little bit higher in gear inches if possible, no?
    The increased efficiency of a SS/FG supposedly makes a noticable difference. So if you like 44/17 on your geared bike, you may want to do 46/17 on your SS/FG.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    "Hold it right there, son. You know why I pulled you over? Let me see you whip-skid that sweet fixie."
    PedalRoom

  7. #7
    Senior Member smurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    My Bikes
    Leader 722TS, Surly Steamroller, Panasonic DX-3000, Trek 4900
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Wouldn't it be smarter to find a gear ratio you like using on the Panasonic, and then replicate that on your SS?
    I'm doing it this way because the crankset I'm buying comes with a 48T chainring and the wheelset comes with a 17T freewheel. I'm trying to see if I can get away with not buying additional of either, so I want to test out the 48T x 17T ratio.

  8. #8
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents: go down a few gear inches if you will be riding mostly around town; go up a few gear inches if you will be riding mostly on the open road. FWIW, 70 g.i. (42x16) is a nice place to start in my experience.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  9. #9
    Senior Member smurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    My Bikes
    Leader 722TS, Surly Steamroller, Panasonic DX-3000, Trek 4900
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
    48/17 is about 75 gear inches.
    42/15 will give you 74GI.
    52/18 will give you 76GI.

    I think those are about as close as you're going to get with your limited chainring sizing. I run 48x17 and have found it to be a very nice ratio for most riding.
    My freewheel is 14 - 16 - 18 - 21 - 24 - 28, so looks like 52/18 is as close as I'll get. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member LessonLearned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    My two cents: go down a few gear inches if you will be riding mostly around town; go up a few gear inches if you will be riding mostly on the open road. FWIW, 70 g.i. (42x16) is a nice place to start in my experience.
    I agree. 42/16 is about 70.2" , which is close to the 44/17 (69.3") that I run. It's a nice easy gear but you can still haul some ass if you need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    "Hold it right there, son. You know why I pulled you over? Let me see you whip-skid that sweet fixie."
    PedalRoom

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is currently 48/17. Hills aren't easy but I haven't had to walk one yet. And I also haven't topped out spinning on a downhill yet. Flats are reasonably comfortable but if I could pick a magic gear for me, I would go up to a 19T or down to a 46chainring. But for now, I deal.
    I rode my tri bike this morning and the closest thing I found on there similar was my middle ring paired with my smallest rear cog on a 9 speed. Which for road riding would be way too slow for flats but for in town riding is just a shade too hard(for my liking). But I sure can accelerate fast!

  12. #12
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,646
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smurray View Post
    I'm doing it this way because the crankset I'm buying comes with a 48T chainring and the wheelset comes with a 17T freewheel. I'm trying to see if I can get away with not buying additional of either, so I want to test out the 48T x 17T ratio.
    Ah, gotcha.

    Quote Originally Posted by LessonLearned View Post
    True. But go a little bit higher in gear inches if possible, no?
    The increased efficiency of a SS/FG supposedly makes a noticable difference. So if you like 44/17 on your geared bike, you may want to do 46/17 on your SS/FG.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    On FG, you want to use as high of a gear as you can tolerate so you don't explode on downhills. No need to do that if you can coast back down.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  13. #13
    Senior Member djpfine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard, Tricross FG
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with 48x17, then 48x19, and now 46x17. 46x17 is my happy medium for tackling just about any hill and doing longer road rides fixed with a couple of climbs.

  14. #14
    Seņor Member broakland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland
    My Bikes
    Fixie
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first fixed gear had 46x19 (64GI), it was the best to learn on. I get that everyone starting out wants to look tough and rachet up the highest GIs possible, but don't be coming back to this forum asking why your knees hurt or why you pulled something or other in your leg trying to stop skid. Decent cogs are not that expensive. As far as singlespeed freewheel: the only issue I see in having too high of a gear is that you will be kinda slow on the start

  15. #15
    Senior Member LessonLearned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Broakland - that's such a smart way to do it man. I think Nagrom said the same, or was it Carleton? I forget but it's in the stickied fgss newbie thread. Basically they (and you) said to gear WAY down so you can get the technique. Then work your way back up to whatever gearing you need to. That 64GI combo you mentioned must have been a lot of fun (except on any kind of downhill). But for screwing around and learning to control the bike and how to use leverage for skids/etc and whatnot - perfect advice. Especially since 46/19 has 19 skid patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    "Hold it right there, son. You know why I pulled you over? Let me see you whip-skid that sweet fixie."
    PedalRoom

  16. #16
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,244
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djpfine View Post
    I started off with 48x17, then 48x19, and now 46x17. 46x17 is my happy medium for tackling just about any hill and doing longer road rides fixed with a couple of climbs.
    +1 for 46 x 17. I just rode a century with that gearing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •