Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
  1. #51
    Senior Member Sherblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland
    My Bikes
    2014 Kona Rove
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    It's not about being fit. I also refuse to believe your rolling average is 28mph.
    Exactly. if you are, though, maybe contact someone in professional racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    we all know badasses go with chris king headsets... are you a badass or weaksauce?

  2. #52
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    It's not about being fit. I also refuse to believe your rolling average is 28mph.
    It's definitely not. OP is an idiot.

    I ride 49x18 just about everywhere. Flats, climbing, etc. The only time it gets even slightly spinny is a) going downhill at 34mph + or b) I'm straight up sprinting and approaching/exceeding 30mph. I'm going to try 49x17 since I have been gaining leg strength and want a little more of a "do everything" gear for fast pacelining action (think constant 25+mph) and descending (I do a fair bit of climbing on my track bike).

    Caloso, you weren't being a jerk, OP is just being silly.
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  3. #53
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandro View Post
    It's definitely not. OP is an idiot.

    I ride 49x18 just about everywhere. Flats, climbing, etc. The only time it gets even slightly spinny is a) going downhill at 34mph + or b) I'm straight up sprinting and approaching/exceeding 30mph. I'm going to try 49x17 since I have been gaining leg strength and want a little more of a "do everything" gear for fast pacelining action (think constant 25+mph) and descending (I do a fair bit of climbing on my track bike).

    Caloso, you weren't being a jerk, OP is just being silly.
    Spare your knees, spin to win.
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  4. #54
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,512
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonLee View Post
    yea 48/16 not bad if you're fit.
    Could you either start dumb gearing threads *or* pretend to be an expert? It's annoying when you do both.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  5. #55
    Senior Member Robofunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Bottecchia, projects
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three pages because some troll is SO STRONG!!!1!

  6. #56
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to be honest, I came to this post to solve a problem I have been having, and there is so many trolls, and worthless answers that I'm still baffled that 3 pages hasn't solved it....

    A 48/12 or 48/14 ratio is what I wanted to use on my new fixie/ss, because I live in a VERY flat part of Florida, where I experience only a bridge or two a day on a long ride. I need that good top end speed, but is this not the ratio to go?

    This isn't a trolling statement either.

  7. #57
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,289
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There should totally be a thread all about gear ratios. Then, it should be included in the Sticky Index at the top of the forum list for easy reference.

  8. #58
    pro in someone's theory prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    My Bikes
    FTP
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltLifer View Post
    I have to be honest, I came to this post to solve a problem I have been having, and there is so many trolls, and worthless answers that I'm still baffled that 3 pages hasn't solved it....

    A 48/12 or 48/14 ratio is what I wanted to use on my new fixie/ss, because I live in a VERY flat part of Florida, where I experience only a bridge or two a day on a long ride. I need that good top end speed, but is this not the ratio to go?

    This isn't a trolling statement either.
    There isn't that much trolling in this thread. There is really just 3 pages of people calling 48/12 and 48/14 dumb. If you don't want to believe that then looking at the thread that Scrod mentioned isn't going to help you.

  9. #59
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1992 Giant Cadex 980c
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people said I was crazy for using 87 GI....

  10. #60
    Grumpy Old Bugga europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Posts
    3,115
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    And people said I was crazy for using 87 GI....
    You are.
    Oh hang on, am I trolling? It's getting hard to tell (says Mr. 66 GI ... but I got lumpy bits in my ride)
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,443
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonLee View Post
    yea 48/16 not bad if you're fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    It's not about being fit. I also refuse to believe your rolling average is 28mph.
    Jaytron
    @90-100rpms, it's 21-24mph

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •