Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New rider with new bike and new noise...

    I just purchased a 2013 Dawes steel SST singlespeed track bike. Whenever I pedal it makes an unusual clicking sound. I will sometimes coast for a sec or two and the clicking will stop, even when I start pedaling again. When I coast again it would start back up clicking again when I start pedaling. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom bracket or the crank. It's not very loud, just annoying. I checked everything out and everything is lubricated and all bolts are tight and secure. Does anyone know what the clicking might be?

  2. #2
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check the bottom bracket and the pedals?
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I thought loose crank arms or chainring bolts, but you stated you checked those. Could the sound be coming from the freewheel? You stated that when coasting the sound stops and starts again when pedaling. Could be the cheapo freewheel. Also, have you checked the pedals to be sure they are greased and tight?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup i've checked everything over. It almost sounds like a clicking from something hitting something else as I pedal.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linetwosky View Post
    I will sometimes coast for a sec or two and the clicking will stop, even when I start pedaling again. When I coast again it would start back up clicking again when I start pedaling.
    This definately sounds like the freewheel pawls. That would be my best guess.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright thanks. I will give the freewheel the rundown.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you're checking things over, tighten your bottom bracket.
    I had the same noise a couple of years back. Tightening the bottom bracket worked for me.
    Last edited by Cyril; 08-23-12 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Corrected autocorrect

  8. #8
    Senior Member NcA13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    blkmrkt nsf / GT ZR 3.0 (custom build) / Kona Dawg (custom)
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Lube your chain!
    2. Tighten/grease your bottom bracket.
    3. Freewheel
    4. Profit?

  9. #9
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,047
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It could very well be coming from a pedal or one of the screws holding your clips on.

    Also, I once had a customer come in complaining about 'clicking' on every pedal revolution. Rode his bike, heard absolutely nothing. He insisted it was there and brought it back. After a bunch of back-and-forth over what it could be, it ended up being the the little plastic end on the dude's shoelace hitting his chainstay while he was riding.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Also, I once had a customer come in complaining about 'clicking' on every pedal revolution. Rode his bike, heard absolutely nothing. He insisted it was there and brought it back. After a bunch of back-and-forth over what it could be, it ended up being the the little plastic end on the dude's shoelace hitting his chainstay while he was riding.
    Now that is a derp moment....

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, when the two freewheels were making noises on my latest two single speed buys it was more of a clunk sound than a click sound. Now, define clunk and click and we'll be all set

  12. #12
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,675
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    It could very well be coming from a pedal or one of the screws holding your clips on.

    Also, I once had a customer come in complaining about 'clicking' on every pedal revolution. Rode his bike, heard absolutely nothing. He insisted it was there and brought it back. After a bunch of back-and-forth over what it could be, it ended up being the the little plastic end on the dude's shoelace hitting his chainstay while he was riding.
    It's called an "aglet".
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  13. #13
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,047
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You're called an "aglet".

  14. #14
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,675
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  15. #15
    Cat Enthusiast ddeadserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Plymouth, MI
    My Bikes
    All City Nature Boy
    Posts
    2,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    You're called an "aglet".
    It's always fun to respond to people like a 6 year old.

    One time I was riding in the road and a driver yelled at me to get on the sidewalk, and my immediate response was "You get on the sidewalk!".
    ALL CITY NATURE BOY

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bat56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St.Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank hitting the kickstand?

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat56 View Post
    Crank hitting the kickstand?
    Don't have a kickstand.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    It could very well be coming from a pedal or one of the screws holding your clips on.

    Also, I once had a customer come in complaining about 'clicking' on every pedal revolution. Rode his bike, heard absolutely nothing. He insisted it was there and brought it back. After a bunch of back-and-forth over what it could be, it ended up being the the little plastic end on the dude's shoelace hitting his chainstay while he was riding.
    My shoelaces do click against the crank arms, but it makes the noise even when I wear my slip ons. I loosened the chain just a tad, wiped it off and lubed it, and tightened my freewheel and now the noise is gone. And it was more of a clunk than a click.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freewheels are self tightening so if that was loose when you went to check it, something got weird somewhere.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    My Bikes
    2012 21 speed aluminum 700c road bike & 2013 Dawes steel 700c singlespeed
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
    Freewheels are self tightening so if that was loose when you went to check it, something got weird somewhere.
    Well it wasn't loose, but i just took it off and put it back on with a little grease on the threads. and lubed the chain.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linetwosky View Post
    My shoelaces do click against the crank arms, but it makes the noise even when I wear my slip ons. I loosened the chain just a tad, wiped it off and lubed it, and tightened my freewheel and now the noise is gone. And it was more of a clunk than a click.
    Probably the chain being over tensioned and making a noise as it gives way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •