Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-12, 06:51 AM   #1
bob80
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ITALY :)
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which fixie for a beginner ?

Good morning guys I'm Rocco aka Bob. I'm 16 years old and I am Italian...so please don't kill me if I make a mistake

I like very much the design of fixed bike... they are light and fast, and very cool. I live near the sea, here it's all perfectly flat !

So, I decided to buy my firs fixie... the problem is: which one ? I'm not expert at all...my budget is about 250$. I saw online the "Vilano" bikes, are these bike reliable for their price ? Are there any other models sold at this price ?

Thank you very much

Bob
bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:13 AM   #2
8bits
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So you are in Italy, a place oozing with cool used frames and you want to buy a Vilano? For real?
8bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:18 AM   #3
FakeFuji
Senior Member
 
FakeFuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought vilano is Italian for junk?
FakeFuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:35 AM   #4
quique26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw online the "Vilano" bikes, are these bike reliable for their price ?
I was also looking into the Vilano but I don't think they are worth it at all. If you can save up $100 more you're better of with like a Schwinn Madison or even better if you can wait just keep saving and get a Mercier Kilo TT which they get good reviews and they do seem worth getting. They go for $399 at Bikesdirect.com
quique26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:55 AM   #5
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union County, NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bits View Post
So you are in Italy, a place oozing with cool used frames and you want to buy a Vilano? For real?
Dude is 16 and has a $250 budget. He wants to ride a bike. The Vilano is a better option than most.

bob:
Do you have listing services such as Craigslist, or Yahoo! Auctions? You may be able to find a better quality used bicycle on one of those services. Read up as much as possible on bicycle basics before purchasing, take a little time.

Read up on this site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Jared. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 08:35 AM   #6
quique26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
bob:
Do you have listing services such as Craigslist, or Yahoo! Auctions? You may be able to find a better quality used bicycle on one of those services. Read up as much as possible on bicycle basics before purchasing, take a little time.

Read up on this site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Good Idea...http://www.sheldonbrown.com is a great site
quique26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 08:41 AM   #7
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique26 View Post
I was also looking into the Vilano but I don't think they are worth it at all. If you can save up $100 more you're better of with like a Schwinn Madison or even better if you can wait just keep saving and get a Mercier Kilo TT which they get good reviews and they do seem worth getting. They go for $399 at Bikesdirect.com
He's in Italy.

Also, you just started a "Which bike should I get?" thread and you're already advising others? Gotta love this place.
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 08:57 AM   #8
quique26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, you just started a "Which bike should I get?" thread and you're already advising others? Gotta love this place.


Well dude, I've been doing research for about like 3 months and Vilano was one of them so you'd be surprise what one can learn by just doing research brother.
quique26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 09:03 AM   #9
Crandrew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique26 View Post
Well dude, I've been doing research for about like 3 months and Vilano was one of them so you'd be surprise what one can learn by just doing research brother.[/INDENT][/COLOR]

By the way, when you ask which bike to buy and 2 of the 4 models are pretty much out of stock....that kind of research took you 3 months?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 09:24 AM   #10
bob80
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ITALY :)
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not completly ignorant.. I have been going out with bike every sunday (30-35KM) with my MTB 2 years ago

Surfing on the Internet I found this (there are a lot of resellers here in italy) : http://www.createbikes.it/index.html Those bikes are sold for 399€ in your opinion are they good ?

Another question, I'm 175cm tall, which size should I buy ? 54cm ?
bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 09:39 AM   #11
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
By the way, when you ask which bike to buy and 2 of the 4 models are pretty much out of stock....that kind of research took you 3 months?
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 09:58 AM   #12
bob80
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ITALY :)
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
So are "Create Bike" bikes good for 399 ?
bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 11:44 AM   #13
Crandrew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Research more and buy something from a Inserisci annuncio or moto usata.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 03:24 PM   #14
bob80
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ITALY :)
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Research more and buy something from a Inserisci annuncio or moto usata.
Do you think I have to buy an used bike ?

Suggest me some "name"...

Pure Fix ? Schwinn Cutter/Madison ? I found also a Mercier Kilo TT for 360$

Last edited by bob80; 08-29-12 at 03:34 PM.
bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 04:21 PM   #15
8bits
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Man are you really italian? Please take a look at this forum, a lot of complete bargain bikes from all of Europe (mainly UK but often people from Italy, Germany, Holland post there).


http://www.lfgss.com/search.php?searchid=15541051
http://www.lfgss.com/thread92260.html#post3097899
http://www.lfgss.com/thread91247.html#post3097742 (Complete Leader 735tr)

There are always cool beater bikes going for 200 pounds or less.
8bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 04:57 PM   #16
bob80
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ITALY :)
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bits View Post
Man are you really italian? Please take a look at this forum, a lot of complete bargain bikes from all of Europe (mainly UK but often people from Italy, Germany, Holland post there).


http://www.lfgss.com/search.php?searchid=15541051
http://www.lfgss.com/thread92260.html#post3097899
http://www.lfgss.com/thread91247.html#post3097742 (Complete Leader 735tr)

There are always cool beater bikes going for 200 pounds or less.
Hey guys.. I'm really an italian lol

btw I'll stay tuned on that forum and look for italian vendors...
bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.