Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-12, 05:58 AM   #1
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any obvious problems with this for conversion

Hey,

So I am a little new to mechanics of bikes and have been struggling to find a decent off the rack offering without ordering from abroad here. I spotted this on a local used bikes classified the other day for around $150



Is there any reason why I couldn't just install a fixed hub (it has an 18T freewheel at the moment) and some foot retention and be good to go? I would possibly change out the bars too. The frame is apparently an old Favourit frame, not sure why he did it up with cannondale on it. Only other info I have is Remerx Rims and Schwalbe Lugano 25x700 tires.

Any feedback and suggestions on a replacement hub/pedals would be nice.

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201336_1.jpg (48.4 KB, 74 views)
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 06:42 AM   #2
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No problems. What does this mean:

Is there any reason why I couldn't just install a fixed hub (it has an 18T freewheel at the moment)

Do you mean fixed cog?
Bat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:02 AM   #3
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat56 View Post
No problems. What does this mean:

Is there any reason why I couldn't just install a fixed hub (it has an 18T freewheel at the moment)

Do you mean fixed cog?
Yeah, sorry, I am translating his description with google translate, it currently has (according to google translate) a '18T freewheel sprocket', slowly backs away from silly question asking. Think he is saying it has vertical drop outs now though which is making me reconsider anyway, hmm.
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:21 AM   #4
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,344
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
That frame looks like it has forward facing horizontal dropouts to me, which is fine.

You need to find out if the rear hub is a flip-flop - having threads for a freewheel on one side and for a fixed cog and lockring on the other. Judging by the use of a quick release skewer, I'm assuming it does not.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:33 AM   #5
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
That frame looks like it has forward facing horizontal dropouts to me, which is fine.

You need to find out if the rear hub is a flip-flop - having threads for a freewheel on one side and for a fixed cog and lockring on the other. Judging by the use of a quick release skewer, I'm assuming it does not.
If it is indeed a freewheel hub, not a freehub, you can take off the freewheel and install a fixed cog on the same threads via the rotafix method (without a lockring)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIVEpyelP0
I wouldn't recommend this for a brakeless bike, because its remotely possible that the cog will come loose if you backpedal hard enough and/or don't tighten the cog enough. This is known as a suicide hub, but as long as the two brakes on the bike are functional you will still have the means to stop, so not a big deal. You can use red loctite for added security, but its not really necessary.
Is the rear hub is a freehub (i.e. the freewheel mechanism is in the hub itself), you will need a new wheel.



Can you post a close up of the hub?
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:37 AM   #6
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
That frame looks like it has forward facing horizontal dropouts to me, which is fine.

You need to find out if the rear hub is a flip-flop - having threads for a freewheel on one side and for a fixed cog and lockring on the other. Judging by the use of a quick release skewer, I'm assuming it does not.
Yeah, I don't think it is flip-flop, I asked him that in my first email and he answered:

'The bike has
freewheel hub and brakes. Frame and all components are new. It has
been only tested if it is OK. Do you want to see it? I tried to choose
the better brands such as Fy:zik, Schwalbe..I send you larger photo.
'
Which didn't really say. presuming I have to change the hub and add a fixed cog and lockring i think i am ok with doing so, anyone recommend a decent set up in that case? I don't mind spending even another $200 just to get it up and running, in all honesty I would rather buy off the rack as I am very knew to all this and don't have any local advice readily available, seems I also don't have any local source of off the rack fixies unfortunately either. Language barrier is a ***** too.
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:38 AM   #7
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast
 
ddeadserious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Bikes: All City Nature Boy
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
If it is indeed a freewheel hub, not a freehub, you can take off the freewheel and install a fixed cog on the same threads via the rotafix method (without a lockring)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIVEpyelP0
I wouldn't recommend this for a brakeless bike, because its remotely possible that the cog will come loose if you backpedal hard enough and/or don't tighten the cog enough. This is known as a suicide hub, but as long as the two brakes on the bike are functional you will still have the means to stop, so not a big deal. You can use red loctite for added security, but its not really necessary.
Is the rear hub is a freehub (i.e. the freewheel mechanism is in the hub itself), you will need a new wheel.



Can you post a close up of the hub?
Seriously? Installing it without any lockring, and it's remotely possible the cog will come loose? You are spewing dangerous information here, man.

If you want to run a suicide hub, there ought to be a BB lockring on it. Otherwise you're should price out a new hub... and a new set of teeth.
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:41 AM   #8
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like I posted a dumb question before I read yours. I will check with him if he can send me a close up. I am fine to change the rear wheel if need be though so I guess I am probably going to pick it up, would definitely be running brakes as I am new to fixed gear riding (and probably would anyway). thanks for the help
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:46 AM   #9
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketches View Post
I don't mind spending even another $200 just to get it up and running,
While that is a fairly nice looking bike, that frame isn't exactly an ideal fixed gear frame.

It has huge amounts of clearance, which is nice if you want huge tires and fenders, otherwise it just makes the bike flexier which is not desirable in a fixed gear frame.

And you have to use long reach brakes, which really dont generate the same power as a good set of short reach brakes.

Also, since it appears to have touring geometry, the bottom bracket is probably low, meaning greater risk of pedal strikes.

The bike is probably worth $150 for the parts, but it you need to shell out money to convert it then you will end up spending more than its worth. You can get a new fixed gear bike with much more appropriate parts and appropriate geometry for not much more money.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:55 AM   #10
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
Seriously? Installing it without any lockring, and it's remotely possible the cog will come loose? You are spewing dangerous information here, man.

If you want to run a suicide hub, there ought to be a BB lockring on it. Otherwise you're should price out a new hub... and a new set of teeth.
Yeah, Charles Bronson rides a suicide hub...

A BB lockring is nearly worthless in a suicide setup. Loctite is unnecessary.You can torque the wheel with your hands far more than you ever can with your drive train. Its not ideal, but if you ride with brakes (and use them), its hardly dangerous.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:56 AM   #11
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
While that is a fairly nice looking bike, that frame isn't exactly an ideal fixed gear frame.

It has huge amounts of clearance, which is nice if you want huge tires and fenders, otherwise it just makes the bike flexier which is not desirable in a fixed gear frame.

And you have to use long reach brakes, which really dont generate the same power as a good set of short reach brakes.

Also, since it appears to have touring geometry, the bottom bracket is probably low, meaning greater risk of pedal strikes.

The bike is probably worth $150 for the parts, but it you need to shell out money to convert it then you will end up spending more than its worth. You can get a new fixed gear bike with much more appropriate parts and appropriate geometry for not much more money.

Thanks, this is what I needed to hear, much appreciated. just to clarify I used dollar amounts to make it easier for you guys, I am actually based in the south of the Czech Republic, been scouring the local bike shops for any that stock fixed gear and single speeds, seems none of them do (and there is a **** load of bike shops :-(). Vienna seems to have a few which is close by but they are very pricey and seem to be mainly designer bikes and customs which is not really what I am looking for due to the expense. Might just have to go mail order from elsewhere in Europe I fear. Unless I can find a better frame for cheap to convert. That or see if I can find a specialist shop in Prague maybe.
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:05 AM   #12
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast
 
ddeadserious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Bikes: All City Nature Boy
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Yeah, Charles Bronson rides a suicide hub...

A BB lockring is nearly worthless in a suicide setup. Loctite is unnecessary.You can torque the wheel with your hands far more than you ever can with your drive train. Its not ideal, but if you ride with brakes (and use them), its hardly dangerous.
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:10 AM   #13
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,344
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
Seriously? Installing it without any lockring, and it's remotely possible the cog will come loose? You are spewing dangerous information here, man.

If you want to run a suicide hub, there ought to be a BB lockring on it. Otherwise you're should price out a new hub... and a new set of teeth.
This has been discussed way too much here. mihlbach is right - rotafixing just the cog would very likely be fine unless you're riding brakeless and skidding around like a jackass.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:13 AM   #14
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast
 
ddeadserious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Bikes: All City Nature Boy
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds dangerous to me, but alright.
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:15 AM   #15
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,344
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
It's not.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:19 AM   #16
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He sent me a close up of the hub BTW:

Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:49 AM   #17
Robofunc
Senior Member
 
Robofunc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the other side of the hub you're interested in. Should be two sets of threads, one slightly smaller than the other. Those let you run a fixed cog and thread a lockring onto the smaller set of threads. If there are no threads or only one set, you need to either do a ghetto-fab suicide hub or get a hub with proper threads.
Robofunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:51 AM   #18
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn, guess I will just go have a look at it, thanks for the heads up on what to look for. To be honest I may just buy and ride it as is, there isn't much good weather left here this year, maybe 2 months and hopefully I can find a fixie for next spring. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:55 AM   #19
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
For a bit more you can find a better bike. That thing is cheap all around and I wouldn't pay $150 for it
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:58 AM   #20
Sketches
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
For a bit more you can find a better bike. That thing is cheap all around and I wouldn't pay $150 for it
Happy to spend a bit more up to like $600, it's just finding a bike available in my location
Sketches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 09:10 AM   #21
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketches View Post
Happy to spend a bit more up to like $600, it's just finding a bike available in my location
If its that hard to find a bike in your area, and if you think you can recover all or most of your money, jut buy the bike and ride it as is (or with a rotafixed cog) until you find something better. Riding is better than sitting around and waiting.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 09:16 AM   #22
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
Sounds dangerous to me, but alright.
Your Leader is brakeless and you are concerned about a suicide hub with 2 brakes?
Apparently, risk assessment isn't one of your better skills.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 09:25 AM   #23
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,344
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Oh snap.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 09:37 AM   #24
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast
 
ddeadserious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Bikes: All City Nature Boy
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 09:50 AM   #25
Crandrew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed that mods instigate on this forum, that's a bit interesting
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 PM.