Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-12, 05:07 PM   #1
fixieTA
Member
Thread Starter
 
fixieTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On the wings of love.
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sram s100

I'm looking to upgrade the stock POS crank that came on my bike but probably can't afford a sweet omnium crank.

Has anyone tried the S100?
fixieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 05:08 PM   #2
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,632
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
The S-100 is essentially the same crank as the Truvativ Touro (with a slightly different look) that comes stock on the Kilo TT. It's a decent entry level crankset.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 05:16 PM   #3
Soo__Fuego
Senior Member
 
Soo__Fuego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have it, crank is decent, the bottom bracket is where my issues lie. the first one went to **** like 4 months after the install. Replaced it and the new one has been flawless since. The bb is also a lil on the heavy side too. If I could go back I'd go S300 for a lighter and probably more reliable bb design.
Soo__Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 06:32 PM   #4
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you not liking about your current crank?
What crank is it?
Are you able to spend more than the $80 you can get an S100 for?
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:16 PM   #5
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieTA View Post
I'm looking to upgrade the stock POS crank that came on my bike but probably can't afford a sweet omnium?
Cranks are pretty much cranks. As long as the length is ok, the chainline isn't jacked, and there's nothing defective about your stock crankset, you aren't going to see a significant improvement going from one cheap crank to another. Stick with what you've got until you can affort something substantially better.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:17 PM   #6
bfloyd6969
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: central Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Cranks are pretty much cranks. As long as the length is ok, the chainline isn't jacked, and there's nothing defective about your stock crankset, you aren't going to see a significant improvement going from one cheap crank to another. Stick with what you've got until you can affort something substantially better.
What would be considered a good start for an upgrade?
bfloyd6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:23 PM   #7
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
What would be considered a good start for an upgrade?
Something better than what you have now.
Bat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:54 PM   #8
Robofunc
Senior Member
 
Robofunc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
S100s are nice cranks. Some people have BB issues, but I've had mine a couple years with no problem. They are better than sugino messengers, IMO.
Robofunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:54 PM   #9
fixieTA
Member
Thread Starter
 
fixieTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On the wings of love.
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
What are you not liking about your current crank?
What crank is it?
Are you able to spend more than the $80 you can get an S100 for?
My current crank is a no name, Made in China special. It just doesn't feel solid, and the bottom bracket sounds and feels horrible also.

I would spend more than $80 if there was a good reason to. I mainly want something that feels solid and will last. My current set up is far from it.

The more money I can save, the more parts I can upgrade.
fixieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:57 PM   #10
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: LA
Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa, Ridley Fenix AL
Posts: 7,146
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Buy nice or buy twice. Save a little more and get a substantial upgrade if the cranks really bother you. I use the S300s, and am highly satisfied with them.
seau grateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 12:04 AM   #11
YoEdgar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have no experience with the s100 but i am having no problems with my s300's i paid 115 + shipping for them. They feel solid i havent had any issues with the BB that came with them. I am happy i spent the extra money for them.
YoEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 07:21 AM   #12
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast
 
ddeadserious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, MI
Bikes: All City Nature Boy
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I liked my S300's too. If I were building a bike and wanted black cranks that weren't higher end, I'd go with them.
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 11:36 AM   #13
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieTA View Post
My current crank is a no name, Made in China special. It just doesn't feel solid, and the bottom bracket sounds and feels horrible also.
If the crank doesn't spin smoothly, then you need a new bottom bracket, not a new crank.

As for not feeling solid...how do you know it has anything to do with your cranks? What you could be describing could be related to a loose cog, poorly tensioned chain, poorly tensioned spokes, a flexy frame, flexy fork, among other things. Crank flex is generally minor compared to other areas in a bicycle that flex.

Furthermore, cheap cranks are cheap because they have a cruder finish and are made of more material, and are thus heavier than expensive cranks. You aren't likely to add stiffness by buying a lighter crankset.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 01:35 PM   #14
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheep steel frames can flex in the bottom bracket area under load, and cheap chain rings will feel, for a lack of a better word, sloppy. Those two are much more likely to be your issue. Chainring is something that is an easy upgrade, that will feel much better right away. And if you combine that with a new BB you will feel great.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 06:29 PM   #15
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work
 
solipsist716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1 on the S300's. I got them for around $86 new just through a little googling.
solipsist716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 11:05 PM   #16
fixieTA
Member
Thread Starter
 
fixieTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On the wings of love.
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
Cheep steel frames can flex in the bottom bracket area under load, and cheap chain rings will feel, for a lack of a better word, sloppy. Those two are much more likely to be your issue. Chainring is something that is an easy upgrade, that will feel much better right away. And if you combine that with a new BB you will feel great.
Thanks. I think the main issue is probably the BB. Any recommendations for a good BB?
fixieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 11:36 PM   #17
fixieTA
Member
Thread Starter
 
fixieTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On the wings of love.
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
If the crank doesn't spin smoothly, then you need a new bottom bracket, not a new crank.

As for not feeling solid...how do you know it has anything to do with your cranks? What you could be describing could be related to a loose cog, poorly tensioned chain, poorly tensioned spokes, a flexy frame, flexy fork, among other things. Crank flex is generally minor compared to other areas in a bicycle that flex.

Furthermore, cheap cranks are cheap because they have a cruder finish and are made of more material, and are thus heavier than expensive cranks. You aren't likely to add stiffness by buying a lighter crankset.
The bottom bracket is the biggest problem. I would like a decent crank to to go with a new BB, and am searching for one at a good price point.

As in solid, I am speaking more to the quality than the flex. They seem very cheap. By cheap I mean they feel brittle compared to higher quality cranks.

The bike is about a month old. I started noticing problems around the crank/BB area about a week after I got it. Everything else feels fine elsewhere on the bike.
fixieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 06:43 AM   #18
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assuming you have JIS tapered cranks.

http://www.retro-gression.com/produc...bottom-bracket

Last edited by Street rider; 09-06-12 at 10:47 AM.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 07:07 AM   #19
markaitch
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A1A
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieTA View Post
...The bike is about a month old. I started noticing problems around the crank/BB area about a week after I got it. Everything else feels fine elsewhere on the bike.
since it is only a month old...why haven't you already taken your bike back to where you bought it & have them check any problems?

btw...what kind of bike?
markaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 08:34 AM   #20
Crandrew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those saying "save up and buy once" "wait and buy a better model and not an entry level"...What would you suggest then? We have already heard about the 300, but besides that model what do others suggest besides the regular omniums that everybody has?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 09:25 AM   #21
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
For those saying "save up and buy once" "wait and buy a better model and not an entry level"...What would you suggest then? We have already heard about the 300, but besides that model what do others suggest besides the regular omniums that everybody has?
Dura Ace, Duh. What else is there?
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 09:32 AM   #22
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have no idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 09:38 AM   #23
Crandrew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
exactly my point.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 10:32 AM   #24
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: LA
Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa, Ridley Fenix AL
Posts: 7,146
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
For those saying "save up and buy once" "wait and buy a better model and not an entry level"...What would you suggest then? We have already heard about the 300, but besides that model what do others suggest besides the regular omniums that everybody has?
Andel and their many rebrandings would be a good choice. IRD makes a nice affordable crank as well. Miche is on the higher end of the price bracket but also a nice crankset.
seau grateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 10:55 AM   #25
aidandj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
For those saying "save up and buy once" "wait and buy a better model and not an entry level"...What would you suggest then? We have already heard about the 300, but besides that model what do others suggest besides the regular omniums that everybody has?
My All City cranks have treated me great.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 PM.