Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    GG + Wendy O. 4EVA raygunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Blatz To The Future
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bianchi Pista ~ Crank length?

    Hey!

    Anyone know how long the Pista's cranks are?

  2. #2
    I Voted for the Green M&M South Fulcrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Fixie
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '03 came with 170's
    Well at least I'm housebroken.

  3. #3
    GG + Wendy O. 4EVA raygunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Blatz To The Future
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member Beer Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 05's are 170 too

  5. #5
    shoot up or shut up. isotopesope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    My Bikes
    yes please.
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so are the 84's

  6. #6
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    05 Pista's are 170 but are drilled 165.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My o4 came with 165s
    Ride to eat, eat to ride

  8. #8
    Total Hack labratmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    05 Pista's are 170 but are drilled 165.
    What do you mean by this? I don't understand.

  9. #9
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a visual of what I mean:



    Basically, the Sugino RD cranks are road cranks. They're 130BCD and can hold two chainrings. To keep cost down I suppose Sugino decided to just make them 170mm and instead of making the actual arm length 165mm, they just drilled the pedal hole a little higher, at the 165 length instead.

    In the second picture is another crankset I have, Sugino RT's (beautiful cranks these are) which are actual 165mm, and you can see the hole is right at the end.

    I just took the RD's off my Pista and recently picked up some Sugino 75's which I am now currently using. God, they're beautiful solid cranks.

    The RD's aren't too bad at all but they're no 75's. I'll probably sell them soon.

  10. #10
    Total Hack labratmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    Basically, the Sugino RD cranks are road cranks. They're 130BCD and can hold two chainrings. To keep cost down I suppose Sugino decided to just make them 170mm and instead of making the actual arm length 165mm, they just drilled the pedal hole a little higher, at the 165 length instead.

    In the second picture is another crankset I have, Sugino RT's (beautiful cranks these are) which are actual 165mm, and you can see the hole is right at the end.

    I just took the RD's off my Pista and recently picked up some Sugino 75's which I am now currently using. God, they're beautiful solid cranks.

    The RD's aren't too bad at all but they're no 75's. I'll probably sell them soon.
    That's crazy! I've never seen anything like that. They look goofy in the pic. I guess no one notices in the showroom?

    Thanks for the pic and the great explaination. I appreciate it.

  11. #11
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't notice it either till I got home - but I knew I was going to be upgrading most of the stock parts on it. Don't get me wrong, the package is pretty damn good for the price, but I have a tendency to upgrade stuff as time and money allow.

    Aesthetically it bothers me a little but there's no pedal strike issues since on a turn the angle would ne sufficient enough anyhow to clear the bottom of it. It's fine -- I wouldn't have replaced the crankset until much much later but I got a deal on some Sugino 75's that I would have been an idiot to have passed up.

  12. #12
    hang up your boots ostro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutting corners in the name of cutting corners!

  13. #13
    Total Hack labratmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    I didn't notice it either till I got home - but I knew I was going to be upgrading most of the stock parts on it. Don't get me wrong, the package is pretty damn good for the price, but I have a tendency to upgrade stuff as time and money allow.

    Aesthetically it bothers me a little but there's no pedal strike issues since on a turn the angle would ne sufficient enough anyhow to clear the bottom of it. It's fine -- I wouldn't have replaced the crankset until much much later but I got a deal on some Sugino 75's that I would have been an idiot to have passed up.
    You're right. I was thinking that if you drilled higher on a longer crank, it would still act like a longer crank when cornering issues arose. This is wrong thinking on my part. When cornering the thing that could strike the ground would be the pedal. If the pedal is raised (even though there is some extra crank sticking out below) it will act like a shorter crank.

    Thanks again for the explaination and the pic. I've been enlightened.

  14. #14
    I Voted for the Green M&M South Fulcrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Fixie
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absntr,

    Most helpful post I've seen in a long time. That was very interesting. Thanks.
    Well at least I'm housebroken.

  15. #15
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by labratmatt
    If the pedal is raised (even though there is some extra crank sticking out below) it will act like a shorter crank.
    To a certain point. When you make a 140mm crank from 180mm arms, then you might have a problem.

  16. #16
    contrarian lala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO Springs
    My Bikes
    80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler
    Posts
    2,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told my '04 51" was 165, but I'm going to measure. That drilling business makes me mad.
    Higher ground for the apocalypse!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    I didn't notice it either till I got home - but I knew I was going to be upgrading most of the stock parts on it. Don't get me wrong, the package is pretty damn good for the price, but I have a tendency to upgrade stuff as time and money allow.

    Aesthetically it bothers me a little but there's no pedal strike issues since on a turn the angle would ne sufficient enough anyhow to clear the bottom of it. It's fine -- I wouldn't have replaced the crankset until much much later but I got a deal on some Sugino 75's that I would have been an idiot to have passed up.

    Was the deal on Chicago craigslist? I just happened to be reading the bikes thing on there and saw a pair for 100 bucks. I thought about calling the guy, but figured he'd rather sell them local than ship em out.

  18. #18
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeskatethrash
    Was the deal on Chicago craigslist? I just happened to be reading the bikes thing on there and saw a pair for 100 bucks. I thought about calling the guy, but figured he'd rather sell them local than ship em out.
    Yes. It's actually the singer/guitarist from Milemarker, nice guy. He was great - sold them to me for $75 because I was tight with money but wanted them bad.

  19. #19
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lala
    I was told my '04 51" was 165, but I'm going to measure. That drilling business makes me mad.
    Why are you mad? It makes no difference in the ride or function of the bike. You probably can't even tell, unless you take off the pedals and really look.
    I bet you wouldn't have noticed and cared, if it were not for this thread....

  20. #20
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the breakdown for cranksets for Pistas over the years:

    2005 - Sugino RD (170 actual length, 165mm pedal hole)
    2004 - Truvativ
    2003 - Truvativ
    2002 - Bianchi Cyclone
    2001 - Bianchi Cyclone

    I wouldn't worry about it if you have a year prior to 05 - in fact, I wouldn't even worry about the 05's. Makes no difference aside from aesthetics.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 04 Pista is a genuine 165, also will only take one chainring.
    Ride to eat, eat to ride

  22. #22
    GG + Wendy O. 4EVA raygunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Blatz To The Future
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Milemarker, what happened to them?

  23. #23
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're starting to write and record a new record - out possibly late this year. Or so I was told.

    Quote Originally Posted by raygunner
    I like Milemarker, what happened to them?

  24. #24
    GG + Wendy O. 4EVA raygunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Blatz To The Future
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that guy (Dave??) a messenger? I kinda recall a Reader article about his new band (Challenger?) and an accident he had when he was a messenger...

  25. #25
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    drilled 165
    whoa...where was I when this happened to me?
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •