Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-12, 07:04 PM   #1
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need backpack recommendation

Can you guys recommend a simple, water-resistant backpack for under $40? Looking for something I could use to store my bottled water, keys, and maybe another thing or two - nothing over-the-top. Most of the stuff I've found online is either super expensive or when it's a bit less pricey, it comes with a ton of pockets and every bell and whistle under the sun. Wasn't sure where else to look, so figured I'd ask you guys. I'm assuming such a bag exists?
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:09 PM   #2
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just go to a store...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:10 PM   #3
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buy any bag that works for you, buy silicone spray to make it water resistant/proof
Street rider is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:24 PM   #4
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: LA
Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa, Ridley Fenix AL
Posts: 7,135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
Buy any bag that works for you, buy silicone spray to make it water resistant/proof
+1 You're not gonna get anything super awesome for under 40.
seau grateau is online now  
Old 09-30-12, 07:25 PM   #5
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,894
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Visit local Thrift stores, Goodwill...Salvation Army. $5-10 bucks.
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:38 PM   #6
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Bikes:
Posts: 8,691
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
army surplus + plastic bag inside

$5-$40
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:44 PM   #7
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,629
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
How come people can't buy or do anything without posting on the internet first? Have we really become so ****ing mindless as a species?
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:50 PM   #8
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
How come people can't buy or do anything without posting on the internet first? Have we really become so ****ing mindless as a species?
I can understand if you're about to drop 2 bills on a bag, but $40?

does it hold ****? sweet.
does it go on your back? sweet.

buy it.

Go down to target, pick up a jansport and call it a day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:50 PM   #9
Blinkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A chain called Five Below, if there's one in your area, while they still may have school supplies: $5 or less.
Blinkie is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:02 PM   #10
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you clarify - you want to carry bottled water and keys. I get that. But what are you talking about bells? Is that the "thing or two" you are talking about? Are you in a band or a choir or something? How big are the bells? I know most whistles are small so if you can clarify how big the bells are and how many you carry, that will help.
Bat56 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:05 PM   #11
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
How come people can't buy or do anything without posting on the internet first? Have we really become so ****ing mindless as a species?
It ain't that serious, dude. Relax. Who does it hurt if I ask people on here for something I thought was a bit hard to find online (a water-resistant bag for under $40)? Plus, I walk away with an idea I didn't have beforehand: to check thrift stores.

Anyway, thanks to those that provided an actual recommendation. I appreciate it.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:06 PM   #12
FakeFuji
Senior Member
 
FakeFuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go buy a walmart knock off of a camelback. Or just ****ing steal it by putting it on your back
FakeFuji is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:07 PM   #13
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat56 View Post
Can you clarify - you want to carry bottled water and keys. I get that. But what are you talking about bells? Is that the "thing or two" you are talking about? Are you in a band or a choir or something? How big are the bells? I know most whistles are small so if you can clarify how big the bells are and how many you carry, that will help.
Seems the wit is endless on this board. But just in case you're serious, I mean I don't want headphone sockets, 30 zippers, and 40 pockets, etc.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:08 PM   #14
BigglyPuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post
Seems the wit is endless on this board. But just in case you're serious, I mean I don't want headphone sockets, 30 zippers, and 40 pockets, etc.
That's not funny. We try hard around here.
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:10 PM   #15
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post

Plus, I walk away with an idea I didn't have beforehand: to check thrift stores.
Tell me you're joking please. Or you are proving Scrod's point.
Bat56 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:11 PM   #16
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like Nag said, Jansport at Target/Wallyworld, that shouldn't be more than $30. And then you can get a can of silicone spray for like $4-5, and you could even get two cans and make it insanely waterproof. All Problems solved.
Street rider is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:14 PM   #17
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat56 View Post
Tell me you're joking please. Or you are proving Scrod's point.
Let me guess: you're one of his henchmen?

Why don't you tell me why wouldn't I be serious. I haven't been in a thirft store since I was 5.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:17 PM   #18
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
Like Nag said, Jansport at Target/Wallyworld, that shouldn't be more than $30. And then you can get a can of silicone spray for like $4-5, and you could even get two cans and make it insanely waterproof. All Problems solved.
You know, although I appreciate your help, I'd suggest, for the sake of some of the members sanity, that we put an end to the recommendations. At least until the meds have kicked in.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:24 PM   #19
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post
You know, although I appreciate your help, I'd suggest, for the sake of some of the members sanity, that we put an end to the recommendations. At least until the meds have kicked in.
You came here for recommendations, did you not? That, or I'm a little confused by your thread title.


Is this even a thing?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:27 PM   #20
BigglyPuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait-what?? Scrod, when the hell did you start recruiting henchmen? I'm hurt you didn't invite me to the tryouts. Really.
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:28 PM   #21
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
You came here for recommendations, did you not?
Yea', why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Is this even a thing?
If you're saying what I think you're saying, then it was just a simple post until Death Rock up there decided to project his hatred towards his family on me.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:32 PM   #22
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: LA
Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa, Ridley Fenix AL
Posts: 7,135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post
I haven't been in a thirft store since I was 5.
Seriously? Where do you get shirts?
seau grateau is online now  
Old 09-30-12, 08:32 PM   #23
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post
If you're saying what I think you're saying, then it was just a simple post until Death Rock up there decided to project his hatred towards his family on me.
I feel like Scrod hasn't posted again yet because he's walking out to the shed, looking for his hammer.



Just in case.
Street rider is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:36 PM   #24
Anthony2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
I feel like Scrod hasn't posted again yet because he's walking out to the shed, looking for his hammer.
That. Or it takes a bit of time to type while gently moving his lovely locks out of the way.
Anthony2 is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 08:38 PM   #25
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2 View Post
That. Or it takes a bit of time to type while gently moving his lovely locks out of the way.
Now you're just asking for it.
Street rider is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 PM.