Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-12, 06:24 AM   #1
lapiana29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trade opinions please?

Hello all. I am in the process of trading my 2011 specialized roval rapid sl45 wheelset for a 2006 felt tk2 bike. I am really unsure of what the value of this track would bring today.Would any of you guys do this trade? I love my wheels but I have been wanting a track bike without really forking over the cash right now. Thanks for all your opinions.
lapiana29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 12:22 PM   #2
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,961
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A former teammate of mine just sold his TK2 on ebay for around 800 USD. (searching completed auctions on ebay is a pretty good way to get a sense of going rate for things.) ... it was only two seasons old and in very good shape.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 05:27 PM   #3
lapiana29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys for your opinions so far. I have posted the specs on the bike below.



2006 FELT TK2 Frame Tubing Material - Felt 7005 aluminum
Fork - Track Specific Felt Carbon Fiber Airofoil

Components
Brakeset - Front brake added
Crankset - Sugino - 75 Track, 48 teeth
Pedals - Not included
Rear Cogs - flip-flop 1-speed, 15 teeth & 16 teeth
Seatpost - Felt SM-3 Alloy, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle - Felt Race-Lite
Handlebar - Deda Pista (included) & Control Tech Formidable (installed)
Handlebar Stem Felt ST-22
Headset 1 1/8" FSA Integrated

Wheels
Hubs Felt aluminum
Rims Alex ALX390 Double-Wall
Tires 700 x 23C Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick Folding
Spoke Brand DT Swiss stainless steel, 1.8/2.0 butted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5Na5F25Jb3E13Gb3I3c9r2a3f3a2856d5113c.jpg (37.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by lapiana29; 11-17-12 at 05:34 PM.
lapiana29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 05:57 PM   #4
lapiana29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a picture of the wheelset on my road bike. Yes looks awesome lol. I figure next season I could just pick up a different set of wheels to try I guess.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg .facebook_-2117241724.jpg (56.3 KB, 36 views)
lapiana29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 04:04 AM   #5
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
lapiana29, Is this for track or street use?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 08:12 PM   #6
IvyCap
Wear One
 
IvyCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Hollywood/Pomona
Bikes:
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1 aero lever? Front Brake? Bottle cages? strreeeeeeettttt.....
IvyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 09:07 PM   #7
Dalai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 1,988
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyCap View Post
1 aero lever? Front Brake? Bottle cages? strreeeeeeettttt.....
Just because the bike is currently set up that way, doesn't mean that is how it will be ridden by the new owner...
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 09:20 PM   #8
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Strictly coming from a monetary view, I don't think it's a fair trade. The 2011 wheelset retails $1500 and the 2006 TK2 retails $1300, the price of a bike drops substantially over time, so its 7 years wouldn't be helping it's case.

This might not make a difference to you if you're just looking for a bike to get on. The TK2 would be great for that. Great crankset, solid framset, bars are fine, wheelset would make decent trainers.

But if money matters to you, it's not quite a square trade.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 02:05 PM   #9
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Strictly coming from a monetary view, I don't think it's a fair trade. The 2011 wheelset retails $1500 and the 2006 TK2 retails $1300, the price of a bike drops substantially over time, so its 7 years wouldn't be helping it's case.

This might not make a difference to you if you're just looking for a bike to get on. The TK2 would be great for that. Great crankset, solid framset, bars are fine, wheelset would make decent trainers.

But if money matters to you, it's not quite a square trade.
1) Explain to me how a track bike depreciates when the same equipment is used on modern track bike offerings. Actually, the cranks on the "old" TK2 are better than the Omniums that come on a new TK2.

The only thing that age might affect is the mileage/condition of the frame. But, that being said, a 6 month old track bike that's been used for tricks would be in worse condition than a 6 year old bike that's been used sparingly and well cared for. So, see? It's the condition that matters. NOT the age. Age is something that people use as a negotiating technique to pay less for something.

2) That $1,300 MSRP bike from 2006 would cost around $1,600 MSRP or more today with the same specs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 03:27 PM   #10
lapiana29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, you guys are right. The guy is asking for $800 and I just really felt given its age alone that it was pushing it. I have seen the specialized langster 2011 go for around $450. I thought maybe there was something I wasent seeing with the felt tk2.I did decide not to do the deal my wheelset has been awesome for myself and with the dt-swiss hubs they sound killer. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!
lapiana29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:05 PM   #11
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm moving this to SSFG.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:12 PM   #12
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
1) Explain to me how a track bike depreciates when the same equipment is used on modern track bike offerings. Actually, the cranks on the "old" TK2 are better than the Omniums that come on a new TK2.

The only thing that age might affect is the mileage/condition of the frame. But, that being said, a 6 month old track bike that's been used for tricks would be in worse condition than a 6 year old bike that's been used sparingly and well cared for. So, see? It's the condition that matters. NOT the age. Age is something that people use as a negotiating technique to pay less for something.

2) That $1,300 MSRP bike from 2006 would cost around $1,600 MSRP or more today with the same specs.

"Age is something that people use as a negotiating technique to pay less for something."

Exactly.

Sure, it still may be worth what you say it is, but it's age will still brings its value down, even if there isn't a reason for it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:32 PM   #13
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
"Age is something that people use as a negotiating technique to pay less for something."

Exactly.

Sure, it still may be worth what you say it is, but it's age will still brings its value down, even if there isn't a reason for it.
The guy asked if it was a fair trade...not if he could get a better trade out of the deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.

Last edited by CbadRider; 11-20-12 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate remark
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:42 PM   #14
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
The guy asked if it was a fair trade...not if he could get a better trade out of the deal.
If he could get a better trade out of it, how is it a fair trade?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom

Last edited by CbadRider; 11-20-12 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate remark
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:57 PM   #15
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
If he could get a better trade out of it, how is it a fair trade?

You're the idiot.
Apparently you don't know the difference between a "fair trade" and a trade "where he could get a better deal".

FOR EXAMPLE:

- A fair trade is $80 for new Nitto B123 handlebars.
- A "better deal" trade is to get new Nitto B123 handlebars for $60 because they are "old" (even though they are still used by modern elite racers.

The guy wanted to know if he was getting a fair deal because he has "been wanting a track bike without really forking over the cash right now. " That trade would immediately get him a good track bike for training and racing. But apparently you don't think so...because the bike is "old" (with modern parts, tho lol).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 05:02 PM   #16
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Apparently you don't know the difference between a "fair trade" and a trade "where he could get a better deal".

FOR EXAMPLE:

- A fair trade is $80 for new Nitto B123 handlebars.
- A "better deal" trade is to get new Nitto B123 handlebars for $60 because they are "old" (even though they are still used by modern elite racers.

The guy wanted to know if he was getting a fair deal because he has "been wanting a track bike without really forking over the cash right now. " That trade would immediately get him a good track bike for training and racing. But apparently you don't think so...because the bike is "old" (with modern parts, tho lol).
The bike goes for about 800 bucks on CL. The wheelset goes for about a thousand.

How is a 200 dollar deficit a fair trade?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 05:20 PM   #17
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 05:35 PM   #18
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
The bike goes for about 800 bucks on CL. The wheelset goes for about a thousand.

How is a 200 dollar deficit a fair trade?
1) Show me.

2) So the guy would have to:

- Find a bike on local CL that is in his size and price range with the same race specs
- Find a buyer for his wheels that will pay what he wants (at least $200 more than the CL bike, right?)
- All right now. Not a week from now. Not a month from now. Not 6 months of wheeling and dealing. Right now.

What are the chances of that happening? If you fully expect that to happen...you are confirming that you are an idiot with very lofty expectations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 05:36 PM   #19
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am an idiot for arguing with you about this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 06:10 PM   #20
diff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I am an idiot for arguing with you about this.
diff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 06:34 PM   #21
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
1) Show me.

2) So the guy would have to:

- Find a bike on local CL that is in his size and price range with the same race specs
- Find a buyer for his wheels that will pay what he wants (at least $200 more than the CL bike, right?)
- All right now. Not a week from now. Not a month from now. Not 6 months of wheeling and dealing. Right now.

What are the chances of that happening? If you fully expect that to happen...you are confirming that you are an idiot with very lofty expectations.

If $200 is really worth that convenience to OP, then I guess it's a fair trade. I don't personally think it is.

I mean, track season is at it's high right now, he better get a bike asap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 06:38 PM   #22
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work
 
solipsist716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
We're both being idiots for arguing about this.
Fixed.
solipsist716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.