I've been riding my bike for the past two years with the following configuration, and am planning on changing the bike to single speed. My current setup is as follows:
- Wheels: Mavic Elipse (2010)
- Brakes: Shimano 105
- Cog: EAI Black
- Crankset: Sugino 75
- BB: Sugino 75
- 42mm chainline up-front.
My goals with the conversion are as follows:
- Use wheels intended for brakes, with a freewheel hub. This likely means building up new wheels from the ground up.
- Ensure I have a correct chain-line after the conversion, without deltas.
I'm leaning towards the following part exchanges:
- New wheels: Mavic OpenPro rims. PhilWood hubs (free/fixed), 32T. DT swiss spokes.
- New cog: PhilWood cog
- New bottom bracket: PhilWood, or White Industries BB designed specifically for 75s.
The open questions on my mind are as follows:
- What's the minimum set of items I need to swap to achieve my goals? Can I achieve my goals with only a new wheel set? It would be great if I could build up wheels with a 42mm chainline, and not need to swap my BB.
- What is the chain-line for a PW hub, with PW cog? I can't seem to find this online.
Threads I read before posting: