Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Flip-flop hub

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Bikes
    Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Flip-flop hub

    Help a brother out here:

    I converted an old bike to fixed gear a few months ago. I enjoy it, but think I'd like single speed better and feel safer (I simply cannot get the hang of stopping on the damn thing). Fortunately, I have a flip-flop hub so switching shouldn't be much of a problem.

    So my question is, what kind of cog should I look for in the back, or is "cog" even the correct part/term? Freewheel? Cassette? None of the above?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,397
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Freewheel is the word

  3. #3
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  4. #4
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    8,530
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bang for your buck would be the white industry freewheel but they're not cheap. I have first hand experience with dicta, shimano and acs freewheel. Out of those three the acs is the better of the three before going to the white industry. I thought about getting the white industry but I think I'm going to go fixed and forget about freewheels.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would lean towards the shimanos as the best value for a freewheel, although I have heard the higher end ACS freewheels are decent. The best quality is easily the White Industries, which is a bit of an investment, but has sealed cartridge bearings - so is sealed from the elements and is replaceable when worn out.

  7. #7
    pro in someone's theory prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    My Bikes
    FTP
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Brakes
    +1
    Do you have brakes on your bike now? It isn't like stopping a fixed gear with brakes is any different than stopping a single speed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like riding fixed that's fine, but if you were doing it without a front brake, you didn't give it a fair shake.

    The ACS Crossfire freewheels are pretty good. I've used a Shimano before, but that was a good while ago and I don't recall how long I used it. If freewheel noise is a concern for you, I believe the Shimanos are generally much louder than the ACS freewheels.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    If you don't like riding fixed that's fine, but if you were doing it without a front brake, you didn't give it a fair shake.

    The ACS Crossfire freewheels are pretty good. I've used a Shimano before, but that was a good while ago and I don't recall how long I used it. If freewheel noise is a concern for you, I believe the Shimanos are generally much louder than the ACS freewheels.
    I don't know about the ACS, but my shimano sf-1200 is pretty much silent. I can hear more noise from my chain and the tires on the road than I can from the freewheel. I know the White Industries trials is the loudest.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Bikes
    Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
    +1
    Do you have brakes on your bike now? It isn't like stopping a fixed gear with brakes is any different than stopping a single speed.
    I have a front brake but no rear brake. I've been told that rear brakes don't function well on fixies, and why I still have no idea. I'm not into the whole skid stop (tried and failed).

    Disclaimer--I have no interest in starting a "brakes vs. no brakes" debate on this thread. I have a front brake, wouldn't mind a rear brake if I thought it would work well. Am interested in single speed because it feels like it would be safer.

    Thanks

  12. #12
    pro in someone's theory prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    My Bikes
    FTP
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, are you using foot retention?

  13. #13
    Magnets, how do they work solipsist716's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    1,304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have your LBS toss on a rear brake when your freewheel is installed. Extra stopping power is a good thing. You wouldn't ride a regular road bike with just one brake, right? Just my two cents.

    People say rear brakes are bad for riding fixed because any back-pressure from the pedals in combination with hand-braking will cause the wheel to lock into a skid very quickly and easily, in my experience. Lots of people ride with two brakes and like it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cianm View Post
    How do i tweak my brakes so it will be good for skidding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    As Minchin said, praying before a sporting event and winning does not mean that god took time out from torturing and killing babies in Africa to ensure your team's win.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Bikes
    Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you using foot retention?
    Sure do. Pedaling without any kind of foot retention is simply too inefficient for me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Bikes
    Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solipsist716 View Post
    Have your LBS toss on a rear brake when your freewheel is installed. Extra stopping power is a good thing. You wouldn't ride a regular road bike with just one brake, right? Just my two cents.

    People say rear brakes are bad for riding fixed because any back-pressure from the pedals in combination with hand-braking will cause the wheel to lock into a skid very quickly and easily, in my experience. Lots of people ride with two brakes and like it, though.
    Interesting. Maybe I'll dig through my parts bin and try the bike out with a rear brake before I add a a freewheel. It seems like that would be a good idea either way. I love the simplicity, speed and efficiency of the fixed gear, but it just feels a little less safe to me. Maybe with the addition of a rear brake I'd enjoy it a bit more.

  16. #16
    pro in someone's theory prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    My Bikes
    FTP
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That rules out one possible reason you are feeling unsafe while fixed. Get a freewheel and a rear brake and hopefully you'll be happier. People seem to be recommending White Industries Eno freewheels.

    Fixed gears are more dangerous when it comes to servicing them because you can get finger caught in the gears etc. They are also catastrophic if you get your pants leg stuck in the gear or something while riding. People can have trouble getting into and out of foot retention because the pedals are moving which can make them dangerous and some people find that spinning at high speeds going down hill is at least disconcerting, so you are not the only person to decide that single-speed is safer.

    edit: Also cornering fixed is somewhat hairier as you can get pedal strike.
    Last edited by prooftheory; 11-21-12 at 02:06 PM.

  17. #17
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,715
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it easier to clip into FG than a road bike. ****'s weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  18. #18
    Cat Enthusiast ddeadserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Plymouth, MI
    My Bikes
    All City Nature Boy
    Posts
    2,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    I find it easier to clip into FG than a road bike. ****'s weird.
    Same.
    ALL CITY NATURE BOY

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Bikes
    Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
    That rules out one possible reason you are feeling unsafe while fixed. Get a freewheel and a rear brake and hopefully you'll be happier. People seem to be recommending White Industries Eno freewheels.

    Fixed gears are more dangerous when it comes to servicing them because you can get finger caught in the gears etc. They are also catastrophic if you get your pants leg stuck in the gear or something while riding. People can have trouble getting into and out of foot retention because the pedals are moving which can make them dangerous and some people find that spinning at high speeds going down hill is at least disconcerting, so you are not the only person to decide that single-speed is safer.

    edit: Also cornering fixed is somewhat hairier as you can get pedal strike.
    All good points. Since the bike I built up as a fixie does not have an actual fixed-gear frame, and thus has a lower bottom bracket, I'm pretty cautious going around corners. I have no desire to experience the pedal strike. Besides, I'm to old to really tear around on a fixed gear, anyway.

    I took the fixie out today for a pre-Thanksgiving feast ride, and had a blast. All the hipness and coolness aside, a fixed gear is a completely different and fun riding experience. I might miss it if I converted to a single speed.

    Hmmmmm.......maybe I've found a reason to start another project. "Yes, honey, there are a lot of good reasons why I need a single speed AND a fixed gear."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •