Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    CrankBros Eggbeater pedals

    I just bought a pair of CrankBros Eggbeater pedals and went on a ride today. I dont have any other cycling shoes besides my Shimano road shoes so I used them today with the CrankBros cleats and notice there is way too much float for my liking. I'm not sure if it was the shoes I was using but are these Eggbeater pedals suppose to have a lot of float? The only real issue I had today was one of the tension spring popped out of place causing hard engagement and a lot of slop when pedaling. Should I try to push the tension spring back in place or bring them back to the lbs where I bought them from? I bought them on Friday and didn't ride them til today. I really like the simplicity of these pedals so maybe someone could help me figure out these issues before I switch back to spd.

  2. #2
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Candys (eggbeaters w/a small platform) on all of my bikes and yes, there is a lot of float in the pedals - my older knees prefer it over longer rides. The float and play also allows easy access when you ride in mud and dirt, which is what they're designed for. I also have Shimano Ultegra pedals that I'm currently using on a spin bike - night and day difference - the Shimanos are like ski bindings compared to the Candys.

    I've been using mine for a few years now with zero problems on the spring - it should not come off (its not part of the rebuild kit, so I assume CB expects it to stay put and not wear out). If you still want to use the pedals I'd suggest returning them for a new set as warranty repair will take much, much longer. You just bought them - the store will take them back.
    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, maybe I'm just not use to the float. I guess I'll take the pedals back to the lbs the way it is and see what they can do for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member slims_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eggbeats have high float, and a pretty easy release even at highest tension. They are made for cross racing where there is a lot of need for in and out ease. If you want a walkable shoe, the SPD system is generally prefered for more road oriented people. There are some really really nice pedals out there, look at the high end mountain and pro bmx racer's set ups.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    The eggbeats have high float, and a pretty easy release even at highest tension. They are made for cross racing where there is a lot of need for in and out ease. If you want a walkable shoe, the SPD system is generally prefered for more road oriented people. There are some really really nice pedals out there, look at the high end mountain and pro bmx racer's set ups.
    eggs do have a lot of float, however none of my eggbeaters have adjustable release tension, so i'm not sure what Kayce means there. release angle can be changed by swapping the cleats from left to right shoes (one cleat has a dot, see the installation instructions they came with). I really like the foursided entry, so no flipping the pedal with your toe or anything. And the open design clears mud,snow and ice really well.
    I wear sidi dominators, and their 'walkability' is identical with spd or eggbeater cleats installed

  7. #7
    Senior Member rex615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cherryville, NC
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth, the Eggbeater cleats are made of some brass looking material and will grind away more quickly if you do a lot of walking on them than the SPD cleats which are made of steel.

  8. #8
    On Two Wheels sam83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Candys and Eggbeaters on some of my bikes and SPD-SL road pedals on others. While I love the Crank Brothers with mountain bike shoes, the attachment to a road shoe does not just have a lot of float, it is crazy loose! I think some adapters might be available.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzybelmondo View Post
    eggs do have a lot of float, however none of my eggbeaters have adjustable release tension, so i'm not sure what Kayce means there. release angle can be changed by swapping the cleats from left to right shoes (one cleat has a dot, see the installation instructions they came with). I really like the foursided entry, so no flipping the pedal with your toe or anything. And the open design clears mud,snow and ice really well.
    I wear sidi dominators, and their 'walkability' is identical with spd or eggbeater cleats installed
    I did mistype. I ment whichever way you mount the cleats.

    I was comparing walkability to pedals with 3bolt patterns(road pedals)
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam83 View Post
    I have Candys and Eggbeaters on some of my bikes and SPD-SL road pedals on others. While I love the Crank Brothers with mountain bike shoes, the attachment to a road shoe does not just have a lot of float, it is crazy loose! I think some adapters might be available.
    So there's less float if I was to use Eggbeater pedals with mtb shoes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •