Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-12, 12:49 AM   #1
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Windsor hour fsa vero crankset width

My windsor hour came with a vero 48t crankset. Does anyone know whether its 1/8 or 3/32? Id like to convert over the gears to 3/32, so that ii can just use hand me down chains and chainrings.
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 12:51 AM   #2
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Doesn't matter.

If it's currently a 1/8" drive train, you can use 3/32" components. And if it it's currently a 3/32" drive train.... well... its 3/32".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 12:54 AM   #3
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Doesn't matter.

If it's currently a 1/8" drive train, you can use 3/32" components. And if it it's currently a 3/32" drive train.... well... its 3/32".
Ive heard that 3/32 chain is not compatible with 1/8 chainring, so id like to make sure before ordering parts.
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 12:55 AM   #4
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshinsa View Post
Ive heard that 3/32 chain is not compatible with 1/8 chainring, so id like to make sure before ordering parts.
Yes, and based on your post, you're switching out things for 3/32", so regardless of the chain, it will work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 12:57 AM   #5
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent
Posts: 12,275
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Hmmm BD doesn't seem to sell these w/ FSA vero's, they're too nice to come stock with a BD bike. Did you buy this second hand?

The majority of SS/FG bikes (higher end LBS sourced bikes) that come with this crankset (they're also known as gossamer's prior) have a 3/32nd chain ring. But this is just an observation of mine.

The surefire way to check is to measure.
Or by comparison. If you're running a confirmed 1/8ths chain on a 3/32nd drivetrain part there should be some vertical play in the grooves where the chain meets the chainring. Facing the chainring, hold the chain by a link that's on the chainring and try to wiggle it back and forth.
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 12:59 AM   #6
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Yes, and based on your post, you're switching out things for 3/32", so regardless of the chain, it will work.
Well i dont want to change out the chainring if its 3/32. I just want to get a 17t 3/32 cog then a 3/32 chain down the road. Having a 1/8 chainring derails that plan.

So does anyone know?
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:01 AM   #7
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshinsa View Post
Ive heard that 3/32 chain is not compatible with 1/8 chainring, so id like to make sure before ordering parts.
This thread explains incompatibility with 1/8 chainring and 3/32 chain.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-477812.html
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:05 AM   #8
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A different bike with vero states its 1/8.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._al_carb_x.htm

Chainreaction states its 3/32.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...%20Accessories

Ill try the wiggle test tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Hmmm BD doesn't seem to sell these w/ FSA vero's, they're too nice to come stock with a BD bike. Did you buy this second hand?

The majority of SS/FG bikes (higher end LBS sourced bikes) that come with this crankset (they're also known as gossamer's prior) have a 3/32nd chain ring. But this is just an observation of mine.

The surefire way to check is to measure.
Or by comparison. If you're running a confirmed 1/8ths chain on a 3/32nd drivetrain part there should be some vertical play in the grooves where the chain meets the chainring. Facing the chainring, hold the chain by a link that's on the chainring and try to wiggle it back and forth.
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:10 AM   #9
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
You can change everything except the chain. And it seems like you don't plan on changing the chain immediately, so it shouldn't really be a concern.

You could also just measure it. Have a ruler?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 05:58 AM   #10
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
You could also just measure it. Have a ruler?
Now I've heard it all. Who the F has a ruler in the age of the internets?

Git out yer yardstick sonny! That's a hoot; thanks, I needed that.
Bat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 11:39 AM   #11
mrshinsa
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat56 View Post
Now I've heard it all. Who the F has a ruler in the age of the internets?

Git out yer yardstick sonny! That's a hoot; thanks, I needed that.
I can understand measuring chain width with a ruler, but a chainring would require something like a caliper.
mrshinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:02 PM   #12
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshinsa View Post
I can understand measuring chain width with a ruler, but a chainring would require something like a caliper.
Exactly, in with the internet, out with doing something yourself!
Bat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:07 PM   #13
Impetus
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elle Aye
Bikes:
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've measured my own chainring with a ruler before. You don't need a damn caliper, just use your eyes.
Impetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:19 PM   #14
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,565
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
repeating the theme of complicating the uncomplicated
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 08:12 PM   #15
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshinsa View Post
My windsor hour came with a vero 48t crankset. Does anyone know whether its 1/8 or 3/32? Id like to convert over the gears to 3/32, so that ii can just use hand me down chains and chainrings.
Maybe I'm just tired but, correct me if I'm wrong, you're going through all this so you can use second hand i.e. worn out chains?
Mate, a worn chain will wear out your cogs and chainrings more quickly, indeed much more quickly. In my world, where EVERYTHING costs more than in the US, chains aren't expensive and for those on a budget, a $20 bmx chain lasts for ages, just not as long as an $80 track chain.
It's also my understanding that 1/8 chains will last a lot longer because they are designed to run straight whereas a 3/32 chain is designed to flex.

Stop your dithering. Buy 1/8 chains. Fit 1/8 cogs when you wear them out. You'll probably never have to replace the chainring ... unless you use second hand chains.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 11:44 PM   #16
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,763
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
This forum is awesome.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 12:37 AM   #17
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
repeating the theme of complicating the uncomplicated
Of course. If you do it the simple way, the job's over and done with in no time. If you complicate it, you get to dither about, worry needlessly, research, ask stoopid questions, make a hash of the job, ask more stoopid questions while you try to work out what's gone wrong, then spend more time, effort and money fixing it. I ask you, which has more overall satisfaction?
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 PM.