Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-05, 01:15 AM   #1
Martin O
Wheelbuilder
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Bikes: MicroBike, SCO Truck, Crescent Hamra, Some homebuilt bikes
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick release

I want to make my SS Shimano coaster hub to a QR version.
Does any know if it's an axle in the market who will fit directly ?
Martin O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 09:47 AM   #2
Cynikal
Team Beer
 
Cynikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 5,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sure there is. Take it down to your lbs and they should have one.
Cynikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 03:29 AM   #3
Martin O
Wheelbuilder
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Bikes: MicroBike, SCO Truck, Crescent Hamra, Some homebuilt bikes
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm I'm my own lbs. I don't think its the same threading. I've to go down to my workshop and measure it.
Martin O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:14 AM   #4
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Does not sound like a good idea. The torque bar mounting to the chain stay is not quick release anyway. The forces on the wheel are different from a geared bike with rim brakes. The nuts are safer.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 12:45 AM   #5
Martin O
Wheelbuilder
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Bikes: MicroBike, SCO Truck, Crescent Hamra, Some homebuilt bikes
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Does not sound like a good idea. The torque bar mounting to the chain stay is not quick release anyway. The forces on the wheel are different from a geared bike with rim brakes. The nuts are safer.
The torque bar mounting is a minor problem. I have to go the old way with an U-clamp on the chainstay.
Martin O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 08:50 AM   #6
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O
The torque bar mounting is a minor problem. I have to go the old way with an U-clamp on the chainstay.
I agree with that.

I'm concerned about the nuts being replaced by the quick release lever. If you are very careful and you are the only one to ever change the wheel, it could be fine, but.. if anyone else gets a hold of it...
With the torque bar on one side taking braking force there is a lot more force to twist the wheel in the dropouts. The force is very one sided. With rim brakes it's more even. With the nuts each side is secured independently. If one nut is loose, or is loosened by the wheel twisting, the other nut can still be tight. With the quick release if one moves, they both may come loose. With the coaster brake, axle nuts on each side are safer. That's my only concern.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:48 AM   #7
Martin O
Wheelbuilder
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Bikes: MicroBike, SCO Truck, Crescent Hamra, Some homebuilt bikes
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I agree with that.

I'm concerned about the nuts being replaced by the quick release lever. If you are very careful and you are the only one to ever change the wheel, it could be fine, but.. if anyone else gets a hold of it...
With the torque bar on one side taking braking force there is a lot more force to twist the wheel in the dropouts. The force is very one sided. With rim brakes it's more even. With the nuts each side is secured independently. If one nut is loose, or is loosened by the wheel twisting, the other nut can still be tight. With the quick release if one moves, they both may come loose. With the coaster brake, axle nuts on each side are safer. That's my only concern.
With your theory you should newer have to use f.ex. a disc brake and qr together. I think it's the same one-side force.
Martin O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 02:15 AM   #8
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O
With your theory you should newer have to use f.ex. a disc brake and qr together. I think it's the same one-side force.
You could be right. Makes sense. I just wanted put my 2c worth in because it came from a trusted source and it seemed safety related.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.