Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-13, 10:25 AM   #151
mjfarsi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared. View Post
The company seems to be improving their product over time. They are offering higher quality products as they develop into a bigger(?) company. They stand behind their products with their customer service. They are active in many cycling communities across the country (I see them sponsoring a large number of events and alley cats to varying degrees).

Seems like they are growing and proceeding as most start ups do. Hope they can continue to be successful, which will translate to a more robust company that can offer its customers more choices.

Seems like they've gotten a little more flak than deserved.

Thanks Jared. As for the flak, we can handle it.... continuing to improve and grow while other competition stays stagnant is why we are going to be around for MANY years to come. We aren't riding a fad. We are building a business that can endure.
mjfarsi is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 11:18 AM   #152
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im a freelance designer and have worked with State Bicycle Co. and Mehdi personally. Take in mind I might be biased, but I think a lot of you are missing the point here. First off, as a professional, I only work with companies that I actually believe in. Im also good at what I do and working with bad companies can easily reflect on me.

Like stated above in this thread numerous times, we are talking about bikes for the most part below the $475.00 price range. Honestly and objectively think about who is looking for bikes at that price point? All of you pooping on them are probably not the target demographic. I would assume, without 100% knowing their business model, that they are aiming at the demographics of 14-26 year old first time real bike buyers (meaning non department store). Buyers with a little more money and style, than the average person. People that want to ride, but at the moment have no plans of racing or training for that matter. These people probably want a bike that rides with out problems and looks good at the same time. Those same people probably wont be hammering, dont know how to skid, and average 13 mph. Its going to be hard to break anything like that.

Just objectively think, State Bicycle Co. provides bikes with multiple options and multiple colors to appeal to those that are just starting out. At the same time the bike is of higher quality materials than others in the range (4130 vs Hi-Ten) but not always the highest. Its hard for a company to exist if they have the best looking product, best parts, and the lowest cost. We should all keep in mind, just like frames sold by different brands can come from the same factory, so can components. I think its a little premature to poop all over the components unless you know something about what factory produces them.

Next I have to say, and this is 100% my opinion, the direction this company is moving is amazing for how long they have been around. They sponsor races, riders, and events. They are involved in multiple communities and get more people on bikes. They are now offering higher end bikes and getting support from riders that are good enough to place on the podiums in races we all respect.

Lastly, I think its even more amazing that an owner / co-founder will come in here and support his products. Ive never seen anything negative about the customer service. He, isn't just some PR guy. He is involved in the company from the ground up. This guy cares enough to work directly with freelance designers on things all the way down to the packaging of their chains. He then cares enough to take the time to come in here and deal with most of you trolls and S-talkers who have never seen the bikes we are discussing. Most people on these forums don't have the guts to stand up for what they believe in. Its just a bunch of dweebs, a-holes, and sheep, that buy what ever the next "cool" thing is. The same people that get chubs for what ever the most expensive products without any consideration for the design, value, or actual manufacturing cost. I would rather ride a State Bicycle Co. Undefeated than any iteration of your identical Cinelli Mash Histograms with identical build lists of: Thomson seat post, Thomson Stem, and Sram Omniums. Don't get me wrong im sure they are great frames but there are 14 pages of identical bikes on pedalroom with the same comment of "sick build bruh." Congratulations you managed to pick your own tires, tubes, hubs, and hoops.
richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 11:21 AM   #153
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpool View Post
Most people on these forums don't have the guts to stand up for what they believe in. Its just a bunch of dweebs, a-holes, and sheep, that buy what ever the next "cool" thing is.
We're all so glad you joined us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpool View Post
I would rather ride a State Bicycle Co. Undefeated than any iteration of your identical Cinelli Mash Histograms with identical build lists of: Thomson seat post, Thomson Stem, and Sram Omniums. Don't get me wrong im sure they are great frames but there are 14 pages of identical bikes on pedalroom with the same comment of "sick build bruh." Congratulations you managed to pick your own tires, tubes, hubs, and hoops.
There's no doubt in my mind that State has improved quite a bit since arriving on the scene and will likely continue to improve but are you honestly saying you'd rather ride a mediocre frame that is just a rehash of other companies' existing frames (which nobody rides but has oodles of "character") than a nice frame a lot of people have?

Whatever works for you, bro.
__________________
__________________________________

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 06-28-13 at 11:48 AM.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 11:23 AM   #154
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: LA
Bikes: Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa, Ridley Fenix AL
Posts: 6,788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Everybody who owns a Mash Histogram please raise your hand.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 11:46 AM   #155
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work
 
solipsist716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a city full of raised hands somewhere in Indonesia now, Seau
solipsist716 is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:10 PM   #156
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
We're all so glad you joined us.



There's no doubt in my mind that State has improved quite a bit since arriving on the scene and will likely continue to improve but are you honestly saying you'd rather ride a mediocre frame that is just a rehash of other companies' existing frames (which nobody rides but has oodles of "character") than a nice frame a lot of people have?

Whatever works for you, bro.

Scrodzilla

This exact quote is exactly my point. Your need for quick wit and to entertain those that follow you on these boards has you calling a bike mediocre when it hasnt even released to the public yet. So I was curious, how many miles have you put on a State Bicycle Co. Undefeated? Lastly OMG all double triangle designed bicycles are reiterations of other bikes with tweaks. This sports been around a long time man. Im clearly not saying I had to buy Ian Sutton's Icarus Leviathan just to be a contrarian to whats going on in bike culture right now.

The point of my post deals in relatives. If they are relatively the same I would rather buy from a company with a great owner, great customer service and is extreamly active and doing good things in the bicycle community.

As to your first quote ive been around here for a minute.
richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:17 PM   #157
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Please don't confuse my telling it like it is with "quick wit". If you can't handle it, GTFO.

I bet you're a real treat to hang out with and talk to in person. Keep up the good work.
__________________
__________________________________

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 06-28-13 at 12:22 PM.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:23 PM   #158
mjfarsi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
We're all so glad you joined us.



There's no doubt in my mind that State has improved quite a bit since arriving on the scene and will likely continue to improve but are you honestly saying you'd rather ride a mediocre frame that is just a rehash of other companies' existing frames (which nobody rides but has oodles of "character") than a nice frame a lot of people have?

Whatever works for you, bro.

Our Undefeated frame is lighter than the Leader 721, 725, and 735 we are using double butted 7005 Aluminum. The 3rd party components on the Undefeated are also better than those on the Leader completes.
mjfarsi is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:24 PM   #159
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I can't stop yawning.

There's nothing to "defend" here guys, so please stop tripping all over yourselves to explain. After all, I did give you this much:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that State has improved quite a bit since arriving on the scene and will likely continue to improve
See you in a few years when you get all the kinks worked out.
__________________
__________________________________

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 06-28-13 at 12:38 PM.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:36 PM   #160
Huffandstuff
Senior Member
 
Huffandstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: I got bikes.
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfarsi View Post
Our Undefeated frame is lighter than the Leader 721, 725, and 735 we are using double butted 7005 Aluminum. The 3rd party components on the Undefeated are also better than those on the Leader completes.
Is there a way to get it without the awful neon green or just no logos at all?
Huffandstuff is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:38 PM   #161
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Please don't confuse my telling it like it is with "quick wit". If you can't handle it, GTFO.

I bet you're a real treat to hang out with and talk to in person. Keep up the good work.

If you are just telling it like it is, go ahead tell me, how many miles have you put on a State Bicycle Co. Undefeated? Hmmmm if the answer is zero to non it seems like you are the person in here pushing an uninformed opinion. All I want is for these forums to be a place where people can ask questions and get answers. Not have to read pages of crap talking from people with no experience with products.
richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:39 PM   #162
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff View Post
Is there a way to get it without the awful neon green or just no logos at all?
You mean the ones richpool "designed"?
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:39 PM   #163
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpool View Post
If you are just telling it like it is, go ahead tell me, how many miles have you put on a State Bicycle Co. Undefeated? Hmmmm if the answer is zero to non it seems like you are the person in here pushing an uninformed opinion. All I want is for these forums to be a place where people can ask questions and get answers. Not have to read pages of crap talking from people with no experience with products.
Please unbunch your tighty whiteys and re-read post 159.

Thanks.
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:40 PM   #164
mjfarsi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff View Post
Is there a way to get it without the awful neon green or just no logos at all?

We will have additional colorways coming soon!
mjfarsi is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:40 PM   #165
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lol Scrod ill give you credit for that wit, that actually was a funny joke. Honestly though I didnt do the design work on that.
richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:52 PM   #166
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason we keep comming back at you is you will say something like this first.

[INDENT=5]
There's no doubt in my mind that State has improved quite a bit since arriving on the scene and will likely continue to improve




[/INDENT]


Then in the next post you will call something you haven't even used mediocre. You then expect us not to reply and quickly edit your posts. You are just talking out both sides of your mouth. Im not mad and get no profit from defending State. Like I said, I just think they are a good company, doing good things.
richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 01:38 PM   #167
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpool View Post
Like I said, I just think they are a good company, doing good things.
Which is fine (and I even somewhat agree with you), but mediocre is exactly what it is. I don't need to ride one to see it's a dime-a-dozen aero-tubed aluminum frame with a seat tube cutout. Wow. Aside from that, you're bending over backward to hype a bike that nobody at the consumer level has ridden. I'll gladly keep my Leader, thanks.

I guess I really have no idea what I'm talking about, though. I'm just the owner of a very successful bike shop who is very selective of what I ride and my shop will (and won't) sell. And for the record, there's a reason I have a "following" - because I don't sugar coat anything and would much rather be called a dick than an idiot or a liar.
__________________
__________________________________

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 06-28-13 at 02:20 PM.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 01:59 PM   #168
seanifred
Senior Member
 
seanifred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area/Davis, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies, you're both pretty. This is getting out of hand I think.
seanifred is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:08 PM   #169
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wabi has all the SW8 fixays beat. Certainly worth the extra couple hundred bucks IMO
cobrabyte is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:19 PM   #170
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanifred View Post
Ladies, you're both pretty. This is getting out of hand I think.
Getting out of hand - because I'm expressing my unflinching opinion and richpool is overexplaining his half-assed justifications?

It's not like I'm saying State is a ****ty company and everyone associated with them should be put to death. I just have a differing impression regarding a bicycle frame. Jeez...
__________________
__________________________________

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 06-28-13 at 02:26 PM.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:26 PM   #171
GENESTARWIND
Senior Member
 
GENESTARWIND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: las vegas
Bikes: pake rum runner
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Build a one inch threaded setup
GENESTARWIND is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:26 PM   #172
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Here we go.
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:48 PM   #173
richpool
Senior Member
 
richpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Overland Park, Ks
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1987 Canonndale SR800 Black Lightning, 1988 Cannondale SR500 TEAM CREST,1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3, Volume V6 Cutter,
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man I was going to drop it but I just cant now.

Dont take such offense to me stating a couple of points. I never called your bicycle knowledge into question. I do question your motives some of the time. You clearly stated you own a business and that means you can make money by pooping all over certain products and driving people to your shop and website. Hell I even think it is really smart marketing. I just hope others realize that your opinions can be jaded by the good old american dollar

Im not hyping a bike here. I gain nothing in this discussion besides hopefully making this place a little more friendly and educational to new cyclist. Im just a designer not a big bad bike shop owner, no money comes to me (unless you want need some design work, I could help you out). Better watch out though I have even worked with some companies you sell in your super exclusive bicycle shop. I do find your word choice to be strange though. Calling a bike mediocre doesnt quite make sense to me if the facts mjfarsi stated are true. It seem, that by definition those specific Leader frames would be mediocre? Again this is if those facts are true (notice i used the word "if"). It is also clear to me that your blind allegiance to a company is stopping you from making informed opinions. We all need to eat though, I get it. The more Leaders on the streets mean the higher probabilities they could be purchased from you.

richpool is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:53 PM   #174
GENESTARWIND
Senior Member
 
GENESTARWIND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: las vegas
Bikes: pake rum runner
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok time to hug
GENESTARWIND is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:54 PM   #175
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpool View Post
Man I was going to drop it but I just cant now.

Dont take such offense to me stating a couple of points. I never called your bicycle knowledge into question. I do question your motives some of the time. You clearly stated you own a business and that means you can make money by pooping all over certain products and driving people to your shop and website. Hell I even think it is really smart marketing. I just hope others realize that your opinions can be jaded by the good old american dollar

Im not hyping a bike here. I gain nothing in this discussion besides hopefully making this place a little more friendly and educational to new cyclist. Im just a designer not a big bad bike shop owner, no money comes to me (unless you want need some design work, I could help you out). Better watch out though I have even worked with some companies you sell in your super exclusive bicycle shop. I do find your word choice to be strange though. Calling a bike mediocre doesnt quite make sense to me if the facts mjfarsi stated are true. It seem, that by definition those specific Leader frames would be mediocre? Again this is if those facts are true (notice i used the word "if"). It is also clear to me that your blind allegiance to a company is stopping you from making informed opinions. We all need to eat though, I get it. The more Leaders on the streets mean the higher probabilities they could be purchased from you.

If that's what you need to get off your chest to make yourself feel better, by all means...

I can't wait until the guy from Unknown bikes comes in to ramble on about how "innovative" his frames are.
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.