Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member gogotheyogrtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Problem with Kilo TT rims

    Hello all,

    About the only thing I haven't upgraded on my Kilo TT so far is the wheelset. I should have by now but birthdays have taken a toll on my piggy bank (all of my money has been spent on gifts for people) and with Xmas coming up, my last $150 will be gone. Anyway, so ever since I got the Kilo, I've been getting flats right and left. That's something else that's taking a toll on my funds. I've tried everything imaginable: changing tires, checking for rough spots on the rims, trying different PSI levels, different tubes, etc. This is the last straw. I will try posting something on here, and if something comes up that I'm doing wrong, then I'll fix it. If not, then I will hope for a new wheelset for Xmas or invest in one.

    Thanks

    P.S this is also on the Bike Mechanics thread
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a *** being cocked.

  2. #2
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,703
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get better tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  3. #3
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    Get better tires.
    This.

    What tires are you using?
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,349
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    Get better tires.
    Try changing your rim tape first.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Manhattan
    My Bikes
    AristoNYC's PedalRoom
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    Try changing your rim tape first.
    was just about to say that.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/AristoNYC

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gogotheyogrtman View Post
    Hello all,

    About the only thing I haven't upgraded on my Kilo TT so far is the wheelset. I should have by now but birthdays have taken a toll on my piggy bank (all of my money has been spent on gifts for people) and with Xmas coming up, my last $150 will be gone. Anyway, so ever since I got the Kilo, I've been getting flats right and left. That's something else that's taking a toll on my funds. I've tried everything imaginable: changing tires, checking for rough spots on the rims, trying different PSI levels, different tubes, etc. This is the last straw. I will try posting something on here, and if something comes up that I'm doing wrong, then I'll fix it. If not, then I will hope for a new wheelset for Xmas or invest in one.

    Thanks

    P.S this is also on the Bike Mechanics thread
    I wouldnt buy a new wheel set, I would diagnose the problem first. Next time you get a flat, take the tube out air it up and find where the hole is, if the hole is towards the outside,,you probably picked up something on the road. If the hole is towards the rim then it might be the rim tape or a burr on the rim. If there is a crease in the tube and that is where it failed the tire was mounted wrong. If it leakes near the stem it was mounted wrong. This isnt rocket science it is easy to figure out,,,no need to replace anything including rim tape till you know the problem. Also before you remove the tube mark with a paint stick where the tire lines up with the valve,,when you find the hole you can go right to that spot and see what the problem is.

  7. #7
    Grumpy Old Bugga europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Posts
    3,049
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always worth noting exactly on the tyre where you got your puncture. Sometimes, a piece of glass or wire can hide in the rubber and only dig into the tube under the pressures of riding.

    Similarly, if you're tearing valves out of tubes, there might be something in the way you're installing them or maybe the valve hole in the rim has a sharp edge (happens on pricey rims too).

    Rim tape is just there to protect the tube from the rough and pointy on the rim. If you're getting punctures on the inside, particularly all in the same place, look for something that's going to mess with the tube.

    The roads you ride on are important. I have a stretch here, which I can't avoid, that is so liberally supplied with broken beer bottles that the police with their spike traps couldn't do a better job of shredding your tyres. If this is your issue, buy puncture resistant tyres.

    I use the Maxxiss ReFuse tyres myself. They're cheap but the silk layer really does work to keep glass and wire at bay - in four sets of tyres, I've had one puncture and while I don't know what caused it, it left a cut right through the tyre a quarter inch long. But there are other puncture resistant tyres.

    Work out why and where these flats are happening. If all in one spot, you've got something in your tyre or on your rim causing it. If random, it's glass on the road. Then look for a solution.

    Oh, and don't overlook the possibility that you're you're just rubbish at installing tyres and doing the damage yourself. I had one particularly tight set of rims that really needed a gentle yet firm hand to fit a tyre while allowing the tube to still hold air (the profanity was as generous as it was expressive)
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

  8. #8
    Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Posts
    2,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two additional thoughts:

    1) when you seat the tire's final bead on the rim, and prior to inflating the tube, work your way around both sides of the tire by squeezing in the sidewall and checking that no portion of the tube is trapped between the tire bead and the rim. Then inflate a bit until it's still squishy to your grip. Work your way around patiently with pressure, making sure to elminiate pinching. Inflate fully.

    2) with the tire removed from the rim, run a cotton ball around the inside of the tire from both sides. It's possible that you've picked up a small steel wire from a car tire casing that has embedded itself into your tire, only to protrude inward. Too small to be seen, the snagged cotton threads will reveal the wire.

    Good luck.

    As others have said, patience and logic will reveal your problem. It may be as simple as too little tread, in which case, marking your tube's orientation with regard to rim/tire will help you pinpoint where the punctures are originating. PG

  9. #9
    Member gogotheyogrtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post

    What tires are you using?
    Kenda Kontenders. Is that bad?
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a *** being cocked.

  10. #10
    Member gogotheyogrtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    It's always worth noting exactly on the tyre where you got your puncture. Sometimes, a piece of glass or wire can hide in the rubber and only dig into the tube under the pressures of riding.

    Similarly, if you're tearing valves out of tubes, there might be something in the way you're installing them or maybe the valve hole in the rim has a sharp edge (happens on pricey rims too).

    Rim tape is just there to protect the tube from the rough and pointy on the rim. If you're getting punctures on the inside, particularly all in the same place, look for something that's going to mess with the tube.

    The roads you ride on are important. I have a stretch here, which I can't avoid, that is so liberally supplied with broken beer bottles that the police with their spike traps couldn't do a better job of shredding your tyres. If this is your issue, buy puncture resistant tyres.

    I use the Maxxiss ReFuse tyres myself. They're cheap but the silk layer really does work to keep glass and wire at bay - in four sets of tyres, I've had one puncture and while I don't know what caused it, it left a cut right through the tyre a quarter inch long. But there are other puncture resistant tyres.

    Work out why and where these flats are happening. If all in one spot, you've got something in your tyre or on your rim causing it. If random, it's glass on the road. Then look for a solution.

    Oh, and don't overlook the possibility that you're you're just rubbish at installing tyres and doing the damage yourself. I had one particularly tight set of rims that really needed a gentle yet firm hand to fit a tyre while allowing the tube to still hold air (the profanity was as generous as it was expressive)
    I'm using Kenda Kontenders but I'm going to upgrade to 'dillos sometime in the near future. Are those puncture-resistant?
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a *** being cocked.

  11. #11
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gogotheyogrtman View Post
    Kenda Kontenders. Is that bad?
    Kendas are generally OK quality lower end tires. I don't think the Kontenders have any puncture protection. I'd replace them with tires that have a puncture protection belt under the tread.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  12. #12
    Member gogotheyogrtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Kendas are generally OK quality lower end tires. I don't think the Kontenders have any puncture protection. I'd replace them with tires that have a puncture protection belt under the tread.
    How are the specialized dillos? Worth it? And I'm also starting my very first season of track racing here in the spring and I was wondering what tires I should use for that?
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a *** being cocked.

  13. #13
    Member gogotheyogrtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howeeee View Post
    I wouldnt buy a new wheel set, I would diagnose the problem first. Next time you get a flat, take the tube out air it up and find where the hole is, if the hole is towards the outside,,you probably picked up something on the road. If the hole is towards the rim then it might be the rim tape or a burr on the rim. If there is a crease in the tube and that is where it failed the tire was mounted wrong. If it leakes near the stem it was mounted wrong. This isnt rocket science it is easy to figure out,,,no need to replace anything including rim tape till you know the problem. Also before you remove the tube mark with a paint stick where the tire lines up with the valve,,when you find the hole you can go right to that spot and see what the problem is.
    I've already tried replacing the rim tape and that hasn't worked very well :/. But you're right on the rim thing, I probably shouldn't replace them just because if a few flats, but I also just want to replace the rims because it's the only thing that I haven't upgraded yet. Thanks man!
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a *** being cocked.

  14. #14
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,885
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gogotheyogrtman View Post
    How are the specialized dillos? Worth it? And I'm also starting my very first season of track racing here in the spring and I was wondering what tires I should use for that?
    Very over rated tire for the price. I've had a set of roubaix armadillo elites and a set of all condition armadillo elites and both failed in the same fashion. The ride quality isn't that great. Tire wise for the road, I'd look a tire like the continental grand prix 4000.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  15. #15
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    Very over rated tire for the price. I've had a set of roubaix armadillo elites and a set of all condition armadillo elites and both failed in the same fashion. The ride quality isn't that great. Tire wise for the road, I'd look a tire like the continental grand prix 4000.
    The Conti GP4000 is a great tire and I've got them on 5 of my bikes, but they're also very expensive.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  16. #16
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,885
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some online places will offer a deal on them once in awhile. competitive cyclist has them on sale for $39 a tire, there are likely lower prices out there, but am too lazy to look them up.

    Edit: Cheaper at competitive cyclist than they are on nashbar.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  17. #17
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is shipping ?
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  18. #18
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,885
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    How much is shipping ?
    Right now free 2 day shipping on orders over $50.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  19. #19
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    Right now free 2 day shipping on orders over $50.
    That sounds like a pretty sweet deal then.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •