Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bikesdirect options with room for wider tires/fenders?

    I'm looking at BD's SS/fixies with an eye for something that can run (relatively) large tires with room for full fenders. Thinking of this mostly for foul weather commuting, but also might want to do some light singletrack / fire roads / whatever. Looking at BD specifically because moneys.

    Kilo TT is right out since there's no clearance for big tires. Kilo WT seems to be the most obvious option and is probably #1 on the list. The Uno would probably be even better, but it's not in stock in my size.

    There are several other BD bikes that I just don't know enough about. The Clockwork PLUS, the Dawes SST, etc. BD doesn't advertise the maximum tire size that I can see. Do any of the other BD SS/fixies have room for larger tires?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    Fyxation Eastside, Motobecane Super Strada
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Kilo WT or the Fantom Cross Uno are the only options
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  3. #3
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,291
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatbiek
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  4. #4
    Senior Member hockeyteeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    1,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bakfiet


  5. #5
    for dynamic hybrid logics prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    2,003
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this would make an excellent winter bike.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    bradenton FL
    My Bikes
    06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surly tensioner to make any of the hybrids single speed.
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RVDGNYp-tthdQY How do hotdogs survive in the wild with no eyes or legs??

  7. #7
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fit 35s on my Motobecane Messenger. I do not know how true to size the tires were.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    bradenton FL
    My Bikes
    06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared. View Post
    I fit 35s on my Motobecane Messenger. I do not know how true to size the tires were.

    What brand/model?
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RVDGNYp-tthdQY How do hotdogs survive in the wild with no eyes or legs??

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
    I think this would make an excellent winter bike.
    The price is certainly right! Ships with 700x40c. Thanks, I'll add it to the list...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared. View Post
    I fit 35s on my Motobecane Messenger. I do not know how true to size the tires were.
    I like the looks of that bike a lot - did you have much clearance with the 35s? Sadly they seem to be out of my size (58-60ish) - I wonder if they use the same frame on any of the other bikes? Fixie Track is presumably the same, but that's also out in my size. Bummer.

  10. #10
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot View Post
    What brand/model?
    Some cheap Nashbar tires. I wanted to try them out to see if I liked a wider tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyT View Post
    I like the looks of that bike a lot - did you have much clearance with the 35s? Sadly they seem to be out of my size (58-60ish) - I wonder if they use the same frame on any of the other bikes? Fixie Track is presumably the same, but that's also out in my size. Bummer.
    I don't remember what the clearances looked like. They did clear the stock front brake. There are also eyelets for mounting fenders, not sure how it would all work together though. I just searched to see if I had any pics with them on the bike, but I rode them for a very short time. Not much help I know, sorry.

  11. #11
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the Moto Messenger and the Kilo WT. The Kilo WT is definitely better for fat tires and full fenders than the Moto. It has much greater clearances and better fender mounts. The Moto lacks front fork eyelets and a rear chainstay bridge, which makes fender mounting more difficult. Also, you won't be able to use fenders with anything wider than 700x28c. Here is my Kilo WT with 700x32c front and 700x35c rear tires and full fenders:

    IMGP1571.jpg
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    I have both the Moto Messenger and the Kilo WT. The Kilo WT is definitely better for fat tires and full fenders than the Moto. It has much greater clearances and better fender mounts. The Moto lacks front fork eyelets and a rear chainstay bridge, which makes fender mounting more difficult. Also, you won't be able to use fenders with anything wider than 700x28c. Here is my Kilo WT with 700x32c front and 700x35c rear tires and full fenders:

    IMGP1571.jpg
    Ah, great, thanks for the advice! It really does seem like the WT is the most flexible option of the bunch, and it's probably worth the extra money. I really appreciate the info on the Messenger though - if it was in stock I might have given it a go just due to cost concerns.

    And wow, I'd forgotten about those front fork eyelets - guess I could go touring on a WT

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the WT! Thanks for the help guys.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Philasteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    955
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    I have both the Moto Messenger and the Kilo WT. The Kilo WT is definitely better for fat tires and full fenders than the Moto. It has much greater clearances and better fender mounts. The Moto lacks front fork eyelets and a rear chainstay bridge, which makes fender mounting more difficult. Also, you won't be able to use fenders with anything wider than 700x28c. Here is my Kilo WT with 700x32c front and 700x35c rear tires and full fenders:

    IMGP1571.jpg
    Yo Tejano, just wondering why you chose the Kilo WT over the Fantom Uno Cross?

  15. #15
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
    Yo Tejano, just wondering why you chose the Kilo WT over the Fantom Uno Cross?
    Didn't you used to own a Surly Steamroller ? The Kilo WT is pretty much the same bike for half as much. I was originally looking to get a Steamroller from my LBS, who wouldn't give me any discount, until I saw the Kilo WT at BD. The Fantom Cross UNO is like the Surly Cross-Check, which are far less suited to riding FG and I wanted something that was closer to track geo but with room for wider tires and fenders. I also don't like canti brakes.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Philasteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    955
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Didn't you used to own a Surly Steamroller ? The Kilo WT is pretty much the same bike for half as much. I was originally looking to get a Steamroller from my LBS, who wouldn't give me any discount, until I saw the Kilo WT at BD. The Fantom Cross UNO is like the Surly Cross-Check, which are far less suited to riding FG and I wanted something that was closer to track geo but with room for wider tires and fenders. I also don't like canti brakes.
    Yes sir I do own a Steamroller, I wasn't aware the geo of the Fantom was more like the cross check which is why I asked about your decision. I love my Surly so it's good to know about the Kilo WT in case something ever happens to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •