Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Tire help

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tire help

    I have a surly steamroller with DA22 alexrims I ride this bike quiet a bit it has maxxis detonators on it 700x 25c. Being a clyde I think a little wider tire would be nice I mostly ride m.u.p.s and local paved trails point me in the derection of a 28-32 wide tire that will fit my rims and I would like to stay $50 or less per tire
    Thank you in advance
    Roy
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

  2. #2
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panaracer Pasela TG
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Huffandstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    I got bikes.
    Posts
    946
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    Panaracer Pasela TG
    Saw that one coming from a mile away. I just bought two panaracers to try them out from the people ranting and racing about them on here.

    Though I'm not sure if they come in 32s I really liked zaffiros though I'm drawing a blank on who makes them. They make a great front tire at 20 a pop, had a pair for a good year with maybe only one or two.flats and probably 6-7000 miles.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Philasteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about size I ran 35c tires on those rims on my Surly for 6 months with no problems.

  5. #5
    degeared
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend Conti Gatorskins. Less than $40 on Amazon Prime (700x28)

    My Pasela's are ok, but some heavier folks have commented they are a little squirmy. I heard better things about Jack Brown green's, although they're a little over your budget.

    http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/t100-g.htm
    Last edited by palu; 12-28-13 at 06:40 AM.

  6. #6
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,888
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palu View Post
    My Pasela's are ok, but some heavier folks have commented they are a little squirmy.
    Where was this? Scrod and I and some others are heavy guys and we all enjoyed the Paselas without much to complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  7. #7
    The Stark Fist of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,175
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seriously. I've ridden 23, 25 and 28c without any issues whatsoever.

    Keep them inflated properly and neither will you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Backwoods of Ontario
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffandstuff View Post
    Saw that one coming from a mile away. I just bought two panaracers to try them out from the people ranting and racing about them on here.

    Though I'm not sure if they come in 32s I really liked zaffiros though I'm drawing a blank on who makes them. They make a great front tire at 20 a pop, had a pair for a good year with maybe only one or two.flats and probably 6-7000 miles.
    Zaffiros are from Vittoria

  9. #9
    Senior Member FakeFuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to run a zaffiro up front and a bontrager hard case in the back, gave me next to no issues. Gatorskins however are the biggest piece of garbage I've ever wasted money on.

  10. #10
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,888
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeFuji View Post
    I like to run a zaffiro up front and a bontrager hard case in the back, gave me next to no issues. Gatorskins however are the biggest piece of garbage I've ever wasted money on.
    I agree with your opinion on Gatorskins but I have also seen the Hard Cases de-laminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  11. #11
    degeared
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    Where was this? Scrod and I and some others are heavy guys and we all enjoyed the Paselas without much to complain about.
    Local dude about 220, and several posts years ago on RBR. All were 32 size, I believe.

  12. #12
    Senior Member JeremyLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeFuji View Post
    Gatorskins however are the biggest piece of garbage I've ever wasted money on.

    I'm curious why you say this. I ride 700x23 Gatorskins and I really like them a lot. I usually get several thousand miles between flats, and I ride over all kinds of debris. I'm not really a big guy, though. Only weigh in around a buck-fifty. (150lbs)

  13. #13
    Senior Member FakeFuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    I agree with your opinion on Gatorskins but I have also seen the Hard Cases de-laminate.
    My hardcase has seen almost two years without a flat, and you can see on it where chunks are missing from glass, and other road debris.i wouldn't be surprises if that happened, as the seam in my back tire is very visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyLC View Post
    I'm curious why you say this. I ride 700x23 Gatorskins and I really like them a lot. I usually get several thousand miles between flats, and I ride over all kinds of debris. I'm not really a big guy, though. Only weigh in around a buck-fifty. (150lbs)
    I hover right around the 190 mark, and I switched out my hardcase for a gator skin in an attempt to find a faster rolling puncture resistant tire. The first time I commuted with the tire I fell in love with the way it rode, I felt confident that I wouldn't get a flat, and it was a nice rolling tire. Then coming home from work a rock in the road blew a hole in the sidewall. My lbs replaced the tire for me saying maybe it was a bad batch, and the next day I had glass puncture the tire, and I put it into the trunk of my car to save it for later.

    the next tire I will buy will probably be Vitoria randonneurs, I was fondling them the other day and just seems like a nice tire, and I have heard good things.

  14. #14
    Senior Member GENESTARWIND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    My Bikes
    pake rum runner
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive run gatorskins in the past and will never purchase them again... garbage. ****ty sidewalls and the flat protection seemed mediocre at best.

    i like the zaffiro pro im running now, no flats of yet and it puts up with skip stopping and my abuse pretty well, only time will tell how long it lasts plus it was priced good. i had hutchinson fusion 3's before that, they rode nice and i rarely got a flat but they didnt last long at all... bulges in the sidewalls, multiple bugles and seperation too.... that is one tire id tell anyone to steer clear from. ive also had michelin krylions which where ok... the funny thing is im running a basic cst comp wire bead tire up front right now and its held up really well so far lol.
    Last edited by GENESTARWIND; 12-30-13 at 02:50 AM.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/pake-rum-runner-14226

  15. #15
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeFuji View Post
    the next tire I will buy will probably be Vitoria randonneurs, I was fondling them the other day and just seems like a nice tire, and I have heard good things.
    I've run Randos for about 2 years. Only one puncture flat that I can remember. They are absolutely horrible to mount/dismount (for me at least, others don't seem to have as much trouble). They roll well, although I "over inflate" them to 100psi.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help I will look locally first ( like to support neighbors ) if that doesn't work I'll hit amazon
    Roy
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 27x1 1/4 Gatorskins and they are pretty good commuter tires. They don't handle as well as Panaracers, but they are resilient against glass, metal, thorns, etc. I had a nasty staple that definitely would've flatted a Panaracer but it just stuck in the thick rubber. It doesn't really rain where I live so I can't speak to their performance in wet conditions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •