Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-14, 07:46 PM   #1
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'80s Guerciotti Pista: Bottom bracket help?!?

I recently was gifted a very minimally ridden Guerciotti track bike that I've started to build up, but I ran into a real snag today with the bottom bracket. I had ordered a new Record Pista crankset/bottom bracket, but when I put the crank arms on, the spindle was nowhere near long enough, and the non-driveside crank was actually hitting the chainstay. The spindle length is 111mm, but it looks like it'd need to be at least 117 to get the crank arms spinning freely.

I think the problem is that the chainstays are huge. Way bigger than I've ever seen on an old track frame like this. Have any of you run into this problem before?
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 07:57 PM   #2
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,374
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
I recently was gifted a very minimally ridden Guerciotti track bike that I've started to build up, but I ran into a real snag today with the bottom bracket. I had ordered a new Record Pista crankset/bottom bracket, but when I put the crank arms on, the spindle was nowhere near long enough, and the non-driveside crank was actually hitting the chainstay. The spindle length is 111mm, but it looks like it'd need to be at least 117 to get the crank arms spinning freely.

I think the problem is that the chainstays are huge. Way bigger than I've ever seen on an old track frame like this. Have any of you run into this problem before?
What is the frame's bottom bracket width ? Italian BB's of that era are normally 70mm wide, whereas most frames today are 68mm.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 08:44 PM   #3
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
What is the frame's bottom bracket width ? Italian BB's of that era are normally 70mm wide, whereas most frames today are 68mm.
I don't have a ton of experience dealing with bottom brackets, so I might ask a few dopey questions, but aren't all Italian-threaded bottom brackets 70mm? The BB shell and BB I have are both definitely Italian-threaded, the Campy BB is definitely 70mm and it fits the frame just right, so is it fair to assume the frame's BB shell is 70mm too?

I left the frame at my LBS this evening so I can't measure it at the moment.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:03 PM   #4
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,374
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
I don't have a ton of experience dealing with bottom brackets, so I might ask a few dopey questions, but aren't all Italian-threaded bottom brackets 70mm? The BB shell and BB I have are both definitely Italian-threaded, the Campy BB is definitely 70mm and it fits the frame just right, so is it fair to assume the frame's BB shell is 70mm too?

I left the frame at my LBS this evening so I can't measure it at the moment.
Well, in that case the only possibility would be a mismatch of the crankset and the bottom bracket spindle. How long are the crank arms ?
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:27 PM   #5
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Well, in that case the only possibility would be a mismatch of the crankset and the bottom bracket spindle. How long are the crank arms ?
They're 165mm crank arms. I measured the spindle length earlier, and it's 111mm, and this stuff is all from the same (current) Campy Pista group.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:40 PM   #6
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Get the Italian-threaded version of this.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:41 PM   #7
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't that have the exact same 111mm spindle length as what I already have?
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:43 PM   #8
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,374
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
They're 165mm crank arms. I measured the spindle length earlier, and it's 111mm, and this stuff is all from the same (current) Campy Pista group.
Well, sorry, but I don't have any idea why it won't work. Certainly, it's not the cranks being too long. It seems like you've spec'd it out correctly. Maybe, you can get some help on the frame in the C&V forum.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:46 PM   #9
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No problem, thanks for trying to help. I really think the cranks/bb would be 100% fine if not for the giantass chainstays.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 09:53 PM   #10
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
Doesn't that have the exact same 111mm spindle length as what I already have?
Apologies, I misread your original post.

The crankset you have calls for a 111mm spindle for a proper chain line. Adding 6mm to that for clearance sake may not be the right thing to do.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 03-22-14, 11:18 PM   #11
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Apologies, I misread your original post.

The crankset you have calls for a 111mm spindle for a proper chain line. Adding 6mm to that for clearance sake may not be the right thing to do.
Hm. Well, does any alternative solution jump to mind? I mean, the bike has been built and ridden in the past, so something must work, right?
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 04:29 AM   #12
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
standards as far as spyder dishing are concerned are rarely discussed, probably because they seldom rear their ugly heads. this may be one of those rare cases when looking a gift(ed) horse in the mouth may have been worth the trouble.

cranks designed for MTBs, with their wide chainstays designed for wide tires, have a lot of sypder dishing and many road crank arms simply will not clear an MTB's chainstays unless a wider BB is used. same holds true between road and track frames and cranks.

but it seems in your case, if i understand your problem, that a modern track crank is not clearing the chainstays on your vintage track frame, which is unusual. you might try a road crank if you have one around, just to see how to approach this problem. of course the simple answer is to put on a wider BB, but aesthetic issues aside, chainline could be seriously compromised. it's also possible, but unlikely, that the frame is not really a track frame but a road frame with track ends.

in any case if you find a crank that works, you may then be looking at chain-line problems.

the advice to post something in C&V may prove fruitful.

it should also be noted that many vintage BB's were asymmetrical as regards bearing to end of spindle distance, but before i invested in anything i would want to find out exactly what i needed to clear both the right and left chainstays AND get a decent chainline.

this is one of those rare occasions where i might seek out the knowledge of some old grizzled PITA bike mechanic that is still living in the past. and loving it.

BTW, if you don't have the largest chainring that you will ever want to use on that frame, ON the crank while you are trying to solve this problem, you may find that even if you solve the clearance issue with the crankarm you may have the same problem with the chainring. i learned this the hard way, but i don't want to talk about it...

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 03-23-14 at 04:40 AM.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 09:43 AM   #13
FakeFuji
Senior Member
 
FakeFuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pictures might help, and at the very least be bike pron
FakeFuji is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 11:03 AM   #14
stilltooslow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Merry Land
Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
this is one of those rare occasions where i might seek out the knowledge of some old grizzled PITA bike mechanic that is still living in the past. and loving it.
You talkin' about me??! Well, at least I'm not 'grizzled'……..yet!

Anyway, the idea of trying to find an older road spindle with extended length on the drive side is a decent suggestion, but of course you'd have to make sure that it was 70mm Italian and tapered for your crank. I have quite a few old 68mm road spindles like that, some of which are Campy, but you can easily find those spindles in 70mm on Ebay in 1mm increments from 111mm on up.
stilltooslow is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 11:11 AM   #15
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Contact this guy and ask him what he used.

Also FWIW, those chainstays don't look particularly "huge" to me.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 11:52 AM   #16
jpsawyer
Senior Member
 
jpsawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Providence, RI
Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut, Kazane Track, Ciocc Designer '84, Serotta Colorado AL 25th anniversary, '85 Guerciotti Pista, '84 Trek 660, Volume Credence
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an '85 Guerciotti Pista with this exact setup and had no issues. The clearance is definitely tighter on this frame than others that I have seen with this setup, but I have had no issues.
Could it be that the BB is installed backwards? Since it is Italian threading both sides are are right hand threaded. And if I remember correctly, the Pista BB is assymetrical so I believe one side of the spindle sticks out more than the other which could be why only the NDS crank arm is hitting.
jpsawyer is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 12:07 PM   #17
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer View Post
I have an '85 Guerciotti Pista with this exact setup and had no issues. The clearance is definitely tighter on this frame than others that I have seen with this setup, but I have had no issues.
Could it be that the BB is installed backwards? Since it is Italian threading both sides are are right hand threaded. And if I remember correctly, the Pista BB is assymetrical so I believe one side of the spindle sticks out more than the other which could be why only the NDS crank arm is hitting.
sounds promising...
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 12:41 PM   #18
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Contact this guy and ask him what he used.

Also FWIW, those chainstays don't look particularly "huge" to me.
I left it at my shop yesterday, so I've only got a handful of phone pictures to show the chainstay size. They're definitely bigger than the ones on that red Guerciotti though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (98.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.9 KB, 15 views)
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 12:43 PM   #19
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
sounds promising...
Eeesh, that does sound promising. I will check this first thing on Monday. Embarrassing though that'd be, I'd be ecstatic if it was such a simple fix.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 02:05 PM   #20
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,374
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
Eeesh, that does sound promising. I will check this first thing on Monday. Embarrassing though that'd be, I'd be ecstatic if it was such a simple fix.
Is this the BB you are using ? If so, I don't see how you could install it backwards, and even so it is symmetric.

CAMPAGNOLO PISTA BOTTOM BRACKET

__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 03:13 PM   #21
jpsawyer
Senior Member
 
jpsawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Providence, RI
Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut, Kazane Track, Ciocc Designer '84, Serotta Colorado AL 25th anniversary, '85 Guerciotti Pista, '84 Trek 660, Volume Credence
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to the Campagnolo site it is asymmetrical. Although it looks like different sites have it listed equally as symmetrical and asymmetrical. So who knows?
RECORD™ PISTA™ bottom bracket - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling
jpsawyer is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 03:39 PM   #22
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Is this the BB you are using ? If so, I don't see how you could install it backwards, and even so it is symmetric.
That's the English-threaded one, so not quite the same. I have the Italian-threaded one, which goes in clockwise on both sides, and according to Campagnolo it's asymmetrical.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 03:56 PM   #23
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,374
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer View Post
According to the Campagnolo site it is asymmetrical. Although it looks like different sites have it listed equally as symmetrical and asymmetrical. So who knows?
RECORD™ PISTA™ bottom bracket - Campagnolo - The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer, max View Post
That's the English-threaded one, so not quite the same. I have the Italian-threaded one, which goes in clockwise on both sides, and according to Campagnolo it's asymmetrical.
Thing is, unless you installed it with the flanged fixed cup on the NDS (left side), you didn't install it backwards.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-23-14 at 04:01 PM.
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 05:13 PM   #24
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: '91 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), '91 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), '84 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Thing is, unless you installed it with the flanged fixed cup on the NDS (left side), you didn't install it backwards.
Right. I was just saying an English-threaded BB couldn't be installed backwards, but an Italian-threaded one could. I don't think I put it in backwards, but it's worth checking.
fischer, max is offline  
Old 03-23-14, 08:30 PM   #25
bro
Senior Member
 
bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: rolo tony brown town
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i hope its just backwards! thatd be a relief. i was thinking earlier if you have an old vintage crankset and the square taper hole is all blown out from being taken on and off a lot that could be why but i didnt read the -whole- thread so idk
bro is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 AM.