Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Quick question about hubs (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/942728-quick-question-about-hubs.html)

Jgovia 04-11-14 10:52 AM

Quick question about hubs
 
I'm currently looking to buy a particular rear wheel. I want a flip flop hub but the seller tells me they only have the track hub available. I was told it can switch to single speed but no freewheel. this confused me. Can I or can't I use this track hub to ride with a freewheel. I want to be able to coast

Cynikal 04-11-14 10:59 AM

You can thread a freewheel on the fixed side without issue.

Jgovia 04-11-14 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynikal (Post 16662145)
You can thread a freewheel on the fixed side without issue.

Here's the hub specs Hub:
"Novatec: A166SBT Alloy Track hub

Rear:O.L.D: 120mm weight:235g

Black color"

so a bike mechanic would have no problem threading a freewheel? Would like to know before I purchase. Item is coming from china

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 11:09 AM

Considering the only tool you need to install a freewheel is your hand, you wouldn't have any problems doing it yourself.

So you know, that model is threaded on both sides. Novatec doesn't even make a single-sided track hub.

Cynikal 04-11-14 11:17 AM

It will work just fine. Grease the threads and just spin it on. It's a 2 sided hub, go crazy and do it twice.

Jgovia 04-11-14 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16662179)
So you know, that model is threaded on both sides. Novatec doesn't even make a single-sided track hub.

Does this mean I can ride with free wheel or no? Seller is telling me I can ride single speed but no free wheel

DiabloScott 04-11-14 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgovia (Post 16662170)
the seller tells me they only have the track hub available. I was told it can switch to single speed but no freewheel. this confused me. Can I or can't I use this track hub to ride with a freewheel.

He means a single-speed freewheel is OK, not a cluster.

You can do it, but the threads probably won't engage all the way - see how much wider the threads are on the freewheel side of a flip flop? Not ideal, not a huge deal.

http://cdn.observedtrials.net/vb/att...ew-hu0208b.jpg

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgovia (Post 16662214)
Does this mean I can ride with free wheel or no? Seller is telling me I can ride single speed but no free wheel

Dude, how many times do we need to tell you? Yes, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

For the record, single speed typically means freewheel. Fixed gear means a fixed cog and lockring. Once again, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

In case you missed it, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

Jgovia 04-11-14 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 16662216)
He means a single-speed freewheel is OK, not a cluster.

You can do it, but the threads probably won't engage all the way - see how much wider the threads are on the freewheel side of a flip flop? Not ideal, not a huge deal.

http://cdn.observedtrials.net/vb/att...ew-hu0208b.jpg

am I better off purchasing a flip flop hub then? Can I use the flip flop hub from my old wheel? The way you described it, it sounds like there CAN be an issue. I don't want any possible issue

DiabloScott 04-11-14 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16662231)

For the record, single speed typically means freewheel. Fixed gear means a fixed cog and lockring.

The communication problem is "freewheel" doesn't typically mean "single speed".

Jgovia 04-11-14 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16662231)
Dude, how many times do we need to tell you? Yes, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

For the record, single speed typically means freewheel. Fixed gear means a fixed cog and lockring. Once again, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

In case you missed it, you can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads without any problems.

Appreciate your response. You're one of the nicer members on here

DiabloScott 04-11-14 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgovia (Post 16662241)
am I better off purchasing a flip flop hub then? Can I use the flip flop hub from my old wheel? The way you described it, it sounds like there CAN be an issue. I don't want any possible issue

That hub in your first post is a flip flop - I assumed it was fixed-fixed, but googling shows fixed-free - so it's just like the Surly in the photo. Enjoy your new wheel and single speed freewheel.

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 11:37 AM

Actually, Novatec makes the A166SBT in both fixed/fixed and fixed/free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgovia (Post 16662249)
Appreciate your response. You're one of the nicer members on here

https://31.media.tumblr.com/2d1c42e5...SAL1qazyb0.gif

Jgovia 04-11-14 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 16662259)
That hub in your first post is a flip flop - I assumed it was fixed-fixed, but googling shows fixed-free - so it's just like the Surly in the photo. Enjoy your new wheel and single speed freewheel.

Here's the track hub photo that was sent to me http://i.imgur.com/7Hjd2sE.jpg

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 11:40 AM

Fixed/free. I maintain that you can still install a single speed freewheel on either side without any problems.

Cynikal 04-11-14 11:43 AM

On the right side of the hub are the SS threads. They are visible in the photo. I understand that all this can be confusing due to the different vocabulary being used but just get the hub you have identified. This is a good example of why buying things over the web can be more difficult. In a shop they would just pull out the hub and show you and it would make sense.

50voltphantom 04-11-14 11:43 AM

Hilarity ensues.

DiabloScott 04-11-14 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16662268)
Actually, Novatec makes the A166SBT in both fixed/fixed and fixed/free.

And they use the same model number for both versions?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_40wF87N0Cm...t+guinness.jpg

TejanoTrackie 04-11-14 11:52 AM

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ing-a--007.jpg

Jgovia 04-11-14 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynikal (Post 16662291)
On the right side of the hub are the SS threads. They are visible in the photo. I understand that all this can be confusing due to the different vocabulary being used but just get the hub you have identified. This is a good example of why buying things over the web can be more difficult. In a shop they would just pull out the hub and show you and it would make sense.

Exactly. You get it. I came here to clarify (expected the usual bike snob comments). The person I'm dealing with barely knows any English. I'd hate to purchase something I couldn't use to only send back because of a variable. Thanks for the answers.

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 16662315)
And they use the same model number for both versions?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_40wF87N0Cm...t+guinness.jpg

Yes, Just as Shimano uses 7600 for all high flange Dura Ace track hubs, regardless of them being fixed/fixed or single sided.

Huffandstuff 04-11-14 01:04 PM

Can I install wasabi mustard on my hot dog or do I need to use sriracha?

Scrodzilla 04-11-14 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffandstuff (Post 16662506)
Can I install wasabi mustard on my hot dog or do I need to use sriracha?

You should probably just eat falafel.

Philasteve 04-11-14 04:49 PM

Damn, talk about things going in 1 ear and out the other.

JohnDThompson 04-11-14 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgovia (Post 16662241)
am I better off purchasing a flip flop hub then? Can I use the flip flop hub from my old wheel? The way you described it, it sounds like there CAN be an issue. I don't want any possible issue

The only issue with running a single freewheel on a hub designed to use a fixed cog and lockring is that fewer threads are engaged on the freewheel. It is unlikely to be a problem unless you have legs like this:

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/4H...6377526-p5.jpg

Even then I wouldn't anticipate problems since the freewheel would be engaging the same number of threads that a fixed cog would engage if it were mounted.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.