Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-14, 11:38 AM   #1
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone hear of "2F" bikes?

I'm looking to get a single speed bike, preferably from a local store. I've got a shop in the neighborhood that only sells single speed and fixies. They only carry a couple of brands, State (which I've read on here is crap), some other bikes they have branded themselves that have a hi-ten frame, and then they have a couple of bikes there that the guy who was there didn't know who made them, but they had a "2F" on the head tube. They were set up as a single speed, but I think they are meant to be a FGFS type bike. They had some BMX components on them and the frames seemed a bit sturdier than your standard bike. I really liked the feel of the bike, but it was way too big for me, and the guy there didn't know if they made a smaller frame.

edit: Nevermind - seems to be ZF, which I guess stands for Zycle Fixed Gear. Everything I looked at was a hi-ten frame, looks like one of those companies where the focus is on color combinations more than the ride. Unfortunately that seems to be a theme with my area. The other shop close by is more of a clothing store, with bikes as an accessory.

Last edited by mlaps; 04-19-14 at 12:16 PM.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:23 PM   #2
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bummer. But you've done the right thing and sussed out the locals first.

We laugh at and deride State bikes, is there anyone on here who'd like to offer some real life experience (and I don't mean from someone who hasn't owned anything else)? I just googled State cycles and got a lot of hits that weren't from the company, including some videos. Might pay you to check them out for yourself. I wouldn't waste my time with a frame that wasn't chro-mo though, you're better going KiloTT, Wabi or similar.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:33 AM   #3
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Bummer. But you've done the right thing and sussed out the locals first.

We laugh at and deride State bikes, is there anyone on here who'd like to offer some real life experience (and I don't mean from someone who hasn't owned anything else)? I just googled State cycles and got a lot of hits that weren't from the company, including some videos. Might pay you to check them out for yourself. I wouldn't waste my time with a frame that wasn't chro-mo though, you're better going KiloTT, Wabi or similar.
It actually looks like the State bikes they carry are the Premium line, which seem to use better components and have 4130 frames...but the shop said that the price was around $800. I'd like to keep the price to $500 or less, since I'm afraid any more and I'll just be too worried about getting it stolen.

I've been watching BD for the KiloTT, but they haven't had one in my size for the couple of months I've been looking. I'm considering getting either the Dawes Streetfighter or the Motobecane Fixie Cafe from BD, both are available in my size and have riser bars which I prefer.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 04:44 PM   #4
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Even State's cheapest bikes ($429.00) are ChroMo. I don't know if they are butted tubes though.
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 05:12 PM   #5
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never heard of them sorry I can't help. But state bikes get hate on here because they're ugly, other than that they would probably make a decent bike. This pure fix premium has been getting some love here recently, sharp looking bike for a good price. Whatever you get, make sure it's the right size. For $450 it's nice as hell comes with thickslick tires too. Limited sizes is it's only problem but it's also 4130. Pure Fix Premium Series Specs | Pure Fix Cycles

Last edited by Philasteve; 04-20-14 at 05:18 PM.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:39 PM   #6
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Even State's cheapest bikes ($429.00) are ChroMo. I don't know if they are butted tubes though.
Thanks, hadn't actually checked, and think I must have read (or at least imagined reading) an older thread that said the frames were hi-tensile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
I never heard of them sorry I can't help. But state bikes get hate on here because they're ugly, other than that they would probably make a decent bike. This pure fix premium has been getting some love here recently, sharp looking bike for a good price. Whatever you get, make sure it's the right size. For $450 it's nice as hell comes with thickslick tires too. Limited sizes is it's only problem but it's also 4130. Pure Fix Premium Series Specs | Pure Fix Cycles
Thanks. Will check out. I had thought Pure Fix also had a pretty poor reputation, but maybe they are also improving? Just out of curiosity though, what's ugly with the State bikes compared to the Pure Fix? To my untrained eye they look pretty similar. I do like the fact that I can order a State bike with risers out of the box, instead of having to buy them myself.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:45 PM   #7
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They used to have a bad reputation for the same reasons state does. But they really upped their game with that model. All steel fixed gear bikes pretty much look the same, the premium is just prettier. Components look a lot nicer and classier too.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 08:07 PM   #8
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
The problem I have with the Pure Fix Premium is that it is only available in 3 sizes, and there is only a 1" (2.5cm) variation in the top tube length between the smallest and largest size. Also, some of the specs seem suspect, such the 150mm stem.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:06 AM   #9
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
They used to have a bad reputation for the same reasons state does. But they really upped their game with that model. All steel fixed gear bikes pretty much look the same, the premium is just prettier. Components look a lot nicer and classier too.
I'll admit, that I've got a little bias against Pure Fix just because of the name. I'd feel kind of stupid riding a bike that says Pure Fix with a freewheel. Not stupid enough that I wouldn't buy it if it was otherwise the best bike for me though.

Right now I'm leaning towards either getting the Streetfighter from Bikesdirect or seeing if the local shop would order me the basic State bike (or if they have another suggestion for a ChroMo bike with flats or risers for under $500). The State bike would probably be at least $200 more than the Streetfighter, depending on how much the shop marks them up. Anything on the State that justifies paying that much more?

Any reason to get the Dawes SSL over the Streetfighter if I'd want to replace the dropbars with flat/riser bars? It looks like the SSL might have better rims? Alex R500 or Weinmann ZAC1800 (no choice), 32H, Double Wall w/ CNC Sidewalls compared to non-branded Black Anodized Aluminum Aloy, 32H, Double Wall w/ CNC Sidewalls on the Streetfighter.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:40 PM   #10
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The LBS got a Fyxation Eastside in since my last visit. I'd read some decent things about it here, and took it for a spin and it felt pretty nice, so I decided to go for it even though it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. We've got some nice weather today, so hoping to take it for a nice ride tonight.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 04:14 PM   #11
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaps View Post
The LBS got a Fyxation Eastside in since my last visit. I'd read some decent things about it here, and took it for a spin and it felt pretty nice, so I decided to go for it even though it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. We've got some nice weather today, so hoping to take it for a nice ride tonight.
The Eastside is a nice bike, if it fits get it.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 06:58 AM   #12
mlaps
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
The Eastside is a nice bike, if it fits get it.
Thanks. The frame should be the right size for me, but I'll need to make some adjustments I think to get it to feel better. Right now I'm feeling a bit too forward and scrunched up on the handlebars, especially when standing.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.