Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-14, 09:36 AM   #1
dan911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dan911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Foot retention

I want to change my pedals with better one but I don't know what to buy. Best pedals with cages or staps for around 100$. Low shipping cost to Canada.

Thanks
dan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:13 AM   #2
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You're on the internet. Use it.
__________________
__________________________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:26 AM   #3
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For Bmx pedals oddesy pc's and any good strap will work. Like companies burro, r.e.load, ynot, fyxation, and seagull. Some of those companies have pedals/strap combos where you can get both for like $75 which isn't bad. For cages I like the double all city plastic cages, i'm not a pro when it comes to straps though I would just use the all city double straps but i'm sure there's better ones for more money.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:47 AM   #4
dan911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dan911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
For Bmx pedals oddesy pc's and any good strap will work. Like companies burro, r.e.load, ynot, fyxation, and seagull. Some of those companies have pedals/strap combos where you can get both for like $75 which isn't bad. For cages I like the double all city plastic cages, i'm not a pro when it comes to straps though I would just use the all city double straps but i'm sure there's better ones for more money.
Thanks. Whats the advantages/disavantages of straps VS cages ?
dan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:50 AM   #5
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan911 View Post
Thanks. Whats the advantages/disavantages of straps VS cages ?
I honestly can't think of any I like both. On my 3 bikes I have 1 with straps and cages, 1 with spd shoes and clipless pedals, then the other I have odyssey pedals and ynot straps. If you skid a lot your foot will never pop out of the bmx pedals and straps. 1 advantage I can think of is how easy you can adjust them for different size shoes. Just pull the velcro loosen/tighten it, then synch it back down. Ynot staps are very good though, I've been using the same pair daily for 4 years.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 11:48 AM   #6
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fyxation gates pedals/straps run like 60 dollars.

i like mine, especially for the price
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 12:14 PM   #7
dan911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dan911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's what i found:

-fyxation gates pedals/straps for 85$US (with shipping)
-Steve Hamilton Pedal by Animal/holdFast straps for 87$US (with shipping)
-VP-531 BMX Pedal/YNOT Pedal Strap for 118$ CAN (108$US) (with shipping)

Best combo for my $$ ?
dan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 12:30 PM   #8
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would go for the cheapest, they're all very similar. Fyxation or Holdfast and call it a day, you won't tell a difference between either.

:EDIT I heard of the metal clips on holdfast digging into feet, don't know how true that is but fyxation's don't have those metal pieces so i'd go with them.

Last edited by Philasteve; 06-13-14 at 01:28 PM.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 01:58 PM   #9
Angelis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Bikes:
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can get YNot straps with Wellgo plastic pedals right from YNot's site for $69+ $9 shipping. Good deal right there.
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 02:00 PM   #10
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
You can get YNot straps with Wellgo plastic pedals right from YNot's site for $69+ $9 shipping. Good deal right there.
Yeah I would get those before anything else, like I said, my Ynot straps are going 4 years strong. I forgot Ynot was located in Toronto, Tom Mosher work's for them.

Last edited by Philasteve; 06-13-14 at 02:50 PM.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 06:04 AM   #11
dan911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dan911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
You can get YNot straps with Wellgo plastic pedals right from YNot's site for $69+ $9 shipping. Good deal right there.
I will go with that.

Merci beaucoup !
dan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 06:27 AM   #12
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
You're on the internet. Use it.
Oh you wild, reckless man. Next you'll be suggesting people read stickies

Now, addressing the question at hand, you'll be amazed at what you find out there if you look and ask silly questions. For example, some years ago now, my son was after general purpose pedals and was sold a set of Giant MTB pedals. Just generic platform pedals with nylon double gate toe clips and nylon straps for a dirt cheap price. Surprisingly, they were very good and we bought a second set. Both sets are still working well and are preferred pedals for bikes intended for casual use. On the other hand, I've wasted a lot of money buying 'good' pedals and fancy clips and straps that haven't proven as successful, though the problem has usually been the pedals (I'se got wide old pharts footsies).

My Hillbrick is happy with MKS Urban platforms with MKS double gate toe clips and straps that were sold on special as a set by Scrod at the time I was buying them. While he doesn't have a special on at the moment, the message is to look around and you might be amazed at what you'll find.

Interestingly though, the best pedals I've come across are the Shimano M324 ... modified somewhat. These are platform one side and SPD clipless the other. However, you can remove the SPD clips. This leaves an aluminium spigot which is easy to grind off giving you a single sided platform pedal. Fit MKS toe clips and leather straps and you have a wide, smooth, solid pedal that can be rebuilt if needed (you don't need the special tools as I proved with one of my sets). I've used two sets of these for nearly a decade now and they are excellent. The MKS Urban should be better but the mangled Shimanos still work well.

Realistically, your options are only limited by your willingness to search and think laterally. On the other hand, my spare parts box is full of platform pedals that should have worked but which didn't. The rotten things are a bit like saddles, you need to find something that suits your feet, your shoes and your lifestyle.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 03:40 PM   #13
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Oh you wild, reckless man. Next you'll be suggesting people read stickies

Now, addressing the question at hand, you'll be amazed at what you find out there if you look and ask silly questions. For example, some years ago now, my son was after general purpose pedals and was sold a set of Giant MTB pedals. Just generic platform pedals with nylon double gate toe clips and nylon straps for a dirt cheap price. Surprisingly, they were very good and we bought a second set. Both sets are still working well and are preferred pedals for bikes intended for casual use. On the other hand, I've wasted a lot of money buying 'good' pedals and fancy clips and straps that haven't proven as successful, though the problem has usually been the pedals (I'se got wide old pharts footsies).

My Hillbrick is happy with MKS Urban platforms with MKS double gate toe clips and straps that were sold on special as a set by Scrod at the time I was buying them. While he doesn't have a special on at the moment, the message is to look around and you might be amazed at what you'll find.

Interestingly though, the best pedals I've come across are the Shimano M324 ... modified somewhat. These are platform one side and SPD clipless the other. However, you can remove the SPD clips. This leaves an aluminium spigot which is easy to grind off giving you a single sided platform pedal. Fit MKS toe clips and leather straps and you have a wide, smooth, solid pedal that can be rebuilt if needed (you don't need the special tools as I proved with one of my sets). I've used two sets of these for nearly a decade now and they are excellent. The MKS Urban should be better but the mangled Shimanos still work well.

Realistically, your options are only limited by your willingness to search and think laterally. On the other hand, my spare parts box is full of platform pedals that should have worked but which didn't. The rotten things are a bit like saddles, you need to find something that suits your feet, your shoes and your lifestyle.
I use those pedals with Scott Spd's. Thinking about going Clips and double straps on them for a while. Sick of walking around in my spd's all the time.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:38 PM   #14
dan911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dan911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
Sick of walking around in my spd's all the time.
I sold my last commuting bike WITH the pedals and shoes for the same reason.
dan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:52 PM   #15
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah I really enjoy my bikew oth my pcs and ynot straps. Those things grip my feet like no other. Ive never bombed a hill at top speeds and had to worry about my foot popping out doing a little speed check skid.
Philasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.