Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what should I do for a fork?

    I just bought a cheaper carbon/alloy steerer to replace the aluminum fork that came with my bike to help dampen the road a bit while I save for a more worth while fork. I found a 3T Rigida fork on ebay for 180 (typically I see them around 399.00), but I'm not sure what I'm getting into with a full carbon fork.

    I'm considering sending back the carbon/alloy fork and ordering the 3T when the money comes back off the other fork. how much adjustment has to be made the the rest of the bike in order to accept a full carbon fork… and is it really worth it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,427
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know if it's worth it, it probably isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's super profound and all… but I know the advantages in relation to stiffness, weight reduction, and dampening. I was looking more for personal opinions on one vs. another. and to see if there are aspects I haven't yet taken into consideration when it comes to carbon/alloy steerer rather than a full carbon fork. or possible if the "too good to be true" sentiment related to ebay and 3T is known, and there have been a lot of knockoff product surfacing similarly to the carbon products from Alliexpress.

    … basically anything other than what you had to say.

  4. #4
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,053
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Of all the beans in the world, Pinto beans are my favorite.

  5. #5
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,165
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Of all the beans in the world, Pinto beans are my favorite.
    Flour or wheat tortilla?

  6. #6
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,165
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlaguerre View Post
    I just bought a cheaper carbon/alloy steerer to replace the aluminum fork that came with my bike to help dampen the road a bit while I save for a more worth while fork. I found a 3T Rigida fork on ebay for 180 (typically I see them around 399.00), but I'm not sure what I'm getting into with a full carbon fork.

    I'm considering sending back the carbon/alloy fork and ordering the 3T when the money comes back off the other fork. how much adjustment has to be made the the rest of the bike in order to accept a full carbon fork… and is it really worth it?
    We need numbers on the both forks; especially the rake/ offset degree to help you. Otherwise we'll be forced to talk about FOOD.

    The rigida, is this a new fork? Where is it coming from? Any identifiers besides the decals?
    3T products are VERY easy to counterfeit in China.

  7. #7
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,053
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    Flour or wheat tortilla?
    In all honesty I prefer flour. The fresher the better.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    Flour or wheat tortilla?
    How is corn not an option?!

  9. #9
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2014 Retrospec Mantra, 2013 Leader 725, '93 Giant Allegre
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll answer since I've had experience in both. The difference in ride feel is non existent, the only difference is weight and that you can't use a star fangled nut on the carbon steerer, you have to be more careful with torque specs when attaching the stem, and cutting the carbon steerer needs a bit more finesse.

    I'd say keep the alu/carbon fork unless it's a generic Chinese no name of dubious manufacture quality.


    EDIT:BTW a flour tortilla can be either wheat or corn, since, y'know, flour doesn't necessarily mean one type or the other. Unless I'm missing something.
    Last edited by GhostSS; 07-21-14 at 10:55 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member GENESTARWIND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    My Bikes
    pake rum runner
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a grilled chicken wrap at work today with spinach, beans, rice, pico de Gallo and our avacado cream and charred salsa. It was damn good.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/pake-rum-runner-14226

  11. #11
    bro
    bro is offline
    Senior Member bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely the corn tortilla

  12. #12
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bro View Post
    definitely the corn tortilla

    +1
    chicken tacos w/ corn tortillas are the best

  13. #13
    Pirate/Smuggler jlafitte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    In all honesty I prefer flour. The fresher the better.
    Dude you're in SD. Go with corn.

  14. #14
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,053
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    EDIT:BTW a flour tortilla can be either wheat or corn, since, y'know, flour doesn't necessarily mean one type or the other. Unless I'm missing something.
    A wheat tortilla is made with wheat flout and corn tortilla is made of corn flour but aside from being overly technical, what's commonly known as a flour tortilla is made of white flour.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlafitte View Post
    Dude you're in SD. Go with corn.
    I never really liked corn tortillas, regardless of what city I lived in. Besides, getting a bag of hot, fresh flour tortillas at the local Mexican market rules. Sometimes I'll eat those things with nothing on them.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post



    I never really liked corn tortillas, regardless of what city I lived in. Besides, getting a bag of hot, fresh flour tortillas at the local Mexican market rules. Sometimes I'll eat those things with nothing on them.
    Agreed, I'm born and raised in San Diego and I can't stand corn tortillas. I was in Cancun this spring break and got some bomb fresh made tortillas there. Mmm.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    We need numbers on the both forks; especially the rake/ offset degree to help you. Otherwise we'll be forced to talk about FOOD.

    The rigida, is this a new fork? Where is it coming from? Any identifiers besides the decals?
    3T products are VERY easy to counterfeit in China.
    it's listed as coming from Wisconsin from a high rated seller. that's what surprised me. but I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't have bought bulk from a Chinese/Thai company.

    these are the two forks:
    3T Rigida Pro Full Carbon Bicycle Fork 700c 1 1 2 039 1 1 8 039 1 5 | eBay

    Aventon Mataro 700c Lite Carbon Fiber Fixed Gear Fixie Fork

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    I'll answer since I've had experience in both. The difference in ride feel is non existent, the only difference is weight and that you can't use a star fangled nut on the carbon steerer, you have to be more careful with torque specs when attaching the stem, and cutting the carbon steerer needs a bit more finesse.

    I'd say keep the alu/carbon fork unless it's a generic Chinese no name of dubious manufacture quality.


    EDIT:BTW a flour tortilla can be either wheat or corn, since, y'know, flour doesn't necessarily mean one type or the other. Unless I'm missing something.
    thanks a lot for the info. so durability wise riding is about even? from what you said it sounds like the riskiest time for a carbon steerer is while assembling. which could be more on the builder than the quality of the product.

    again thanks a lot for any info I appreciate it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,155
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carnitas!
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  18. #18
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,053
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlaguerre View Post
    it's listed as coming from Wisconsin from a high rated seller. that's what surprised me. but I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't have bought bulk from a Chinese/Thai company.

    these are the two forks:
    3T Rigida Pro Full Carbon Bicycle Fork 700c 1 1 2 039 1 1 8 039 1 5 | eBay

    Aventon Mataro 700c Lite Carbon Fiber Fixed Gear Fixie Fork
    Why is fork rake unimportant to you? Do you even know what rake your current fork has?

  19. #19
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,165
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlaguerre View Post
    it's listed as coming from Wisconsin from a high rated seller. that's what surprised me. but I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't have bought bulk from a Chinese/Thai company.

    these are the two forks:
    3T Rigida Pro Full Carbon Bicycle Fork 700c 1 1 2 039 1 1 8 039 1 5 | eBay

    Aventon Mataro 700c Lite Carbon Fiber Fixed Gear Fixie Fork

    thanks a lot for the info. so durability wise riding is about even? from what you said it sounds like the riskiest time for a carbon steerer is while assembling. which could be more on the builder than the quality of the product.

    again thanks a lot for any info I appreciate it.
    Well to begin with, you're lucky you came here and asked first. That 3T fork has a tapered steerer (the "1 1/2 " part that you missed in the listing description/ title). I'm pretty darn sure your frame does not have a tapered headtube to properly match and interface that fork.
    It's so cheap because near nobody buys aftermarket tapered steerer forks as usually the ultra high end carbon road bikes that come with a compatible headtube has a better fork to begin with. And in circumstances where they would have to replace their fork there's warranty and if a crash is serious enough to damage such a fork, the frame is usually done too.
    Wheelandsproket is a reputable seller anyhow.

    I would avoid that aventon fork, it's just a cheapie road fork that they're selling for premium to make profit off unsuspecting fixie owners. Carbon steerers are not really something to care about; they're overhyped unless you have a bike that costs a couple months worth of paychecks.
    If I were you I would save up a couple more bucks here and there and invest in a better fork with fixed gear oriented rake. Leader has some good thoughtful offerings unlike aventon.

  20. #20
    Pirate/Smuggler jlafitte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I never really liked corn tortillas, regardless of what city I lived in. Besides, getting a bag of hot, fresh flour tortillas at the local Mexican market rules. Sometimes I'll eat those things with nothing on them.
    Fair enough.

    But when it comes to a fish taco, corn is king. Lightly charred over the grill, filled with fried fish deliciousness, a bit of the mystery white sauce, some shredded cabbage and a squeeze of lime juice. Add a decent lager and you're in paradise.

  21. #21
    Senior Member SquidPuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    Flour or wheat tortilla?
    Flour is wheat.


    Sorry... just had to.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    has a better fork to begin with. And in circumstances where they would have to replace
    I would avoid that aventon fork, it's just a cheapie road fork that they're selling for premium to make profit off unsuspecting fixie owners. Carbon steerers are not really something to care about; they're overhyped unless you have a bike that costs a couple months worth of paychecks.
    If I were you I would save up a couple more bucks here and there and invest in a better fork with fixed gear oriented rake. Leader has some good thoughtful offerings unlike aventon.
    that's definitely clears up where a 51% discount came from. I'm just trying to learn everything I can and pretty much whenever I think I've got a a decent idea on what's what I end up reading into something that can't be used. what would you consider a worth while fork? I know you said the leader forks. any models or other brands specifically?

    and scrod the stock fork is 45 the alloy steerer is 45 that 3t was 46. I know it's related to trail and front end stability but I can honestly say I don't know the difference in terms of stability between 45/46. what would you suggest for rake?

  23. #23
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,165
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
    Flour is wheat.


    Sorry... just had to.
    I should've been more specific but I'm pretty sure they arent that specific at mexican places haha
    "wheat as in that brownish whole wheat tortilla vs the more processed white flour tortilla"

  24. #24
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,165
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlaguerre View Post
    that's definitely clears up where a 51% discount came from. I'm just trying to learn everything I can and pretty much whenever I think I've got a a decent idea on what's what I end up reading into something that can't be used. what would you consider a worth while fork? I know you said the leader forks. any models or other brands specifically?

    and scrod the stock fork is 45 the alloy steerer is 45 that 3t was 46. I know it's related to trail and front end stability but I can honestly say I don't know the difference in terms of stability between 45/46. what would you suggest for rake?
    That's good that you're reading up on it. Between 45mm & 46mm your trail will be result in a change in trail of 1mm; you won't notice the difference.
    More importantly, what's the frame that it's going on?

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I almost don't want to say just because I've seen them get ripped on this forum but its a mataro 58. I've skated my whole other than a couple years where I lived in Boston with a roommate who had an unused Fuji feather that I could to ride all the time. so now that I have a little money I want ride again and learn everything I can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •