Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-14, 07:35 AM   #1
Jdaddy615
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jdaddy615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middle TN
Bikes: trek 3700, 1982 schwinn varsity
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shimano FFS to single speed

I know this has been brought up before; however, the thread always seems to die out before any real info is given.

I completely disassembled my 1982 schwinn varsity to switch it to single speed. Being fairly ignorant to how technical bike operations work, i thought it would not only be a fun project, but an excellent learning experience. I have learned a lot, and finally have everything cleaned up, polished, and the frame is ready for a repainting.

Then..I hit my first real snag...the FFS.

I have relied heavily on youtube and this forum for most of the issues I have come across, with great success; however, there is almost no info on how to convert this to SS. I'm really just looking for a step by step, or tutorial on how to do it since I am still learning terminology and how things function.

Any help or direction anyone can offer would be more than appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10552609_10203443930126160_2480294598425340945_n.jpg (9.5 KB, 37 views)
Jdaddy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 07:40 AM   #2
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This page offers all the information you could need.
Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 07:46 AM   #3
Jdaddy615
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jdaddy615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middle TN
Bikes: trek 3700, 1982 schwinn varsity
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
This page offers all the information you could need.
Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions
that was one of the pages i used as a resource; however, unless i'm missing it, I didnt see anything specifcally regadig converting an FFS. Either that, or I didn't understand what I was reading

Last edited by Jdaddy615; 08-04-14 at 07:57 AM. Reason: i left the "g" off of "reading"...who does that? hahaha
Jdaddy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 10:31 AM   #4
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
You have two options. You can keep it simple by choosing a gear combo and shortening the chain around that combo, therefore ghetto SS. Or you can take the money route with a new crank, BB adapter + BB(if you want to use a three piece crank) and new freewheel. With the second option you will have to follow Sheldon Brown's advice for respacing and dishing the wheel. Your bike takes an ashatabula crank and those are available if you want to keep to the original look of the bike.

Last edited by hairnet; 08-04-14 at 10:37 AM.
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 11:08 AM   #5
Jdaddy615
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jdaddy615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middle TN
Bikes: trek 3700, 1982 schwinn varsity
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
You have two options. You can keep it simple by choosing a gear combo and shortening the chain around that combo, therefore ghetto SS. Or you can take the money route with a new crank, BB adapter + BB(if you want to use a three piece crank) and new freewheel. With the second option you will have to follow Sheldon Brown's advice for respacing and dishing the wheel. Your bike takes an ashatabula crank and those are available if you want to keep to the original look of the bike.
thanks!
Jdaddy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 02:12 AM   #6
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wot's an FFS?

Yeah, I know, I'll kick myself when you tell me but at the moment, all I can think of is For Fooks Sake which, while appropriate for Shimano, probably isn't the correct answer.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 05:10 AM   #7
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Wot's an FFS?

Yeah, I know, I'll kick myself when you tell me but at the moment, all I can think of is For Fooks Sake which, while appropriate for Shimano, probably isn't the correct answer.
Front Freewheel System. A Shimano dud. The idea was that the freewheel mechanism was in the crank so that the chain was always moving and gears could be shifted while coasting.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 06:44 AM   #8
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Wot's an FFS?

Yeah, I know, I'll kick myself when you tell me but at the moment, all I can think of is For Fooks Sake which, while appropriate for Shimano, probably isn't the correct answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Front Freewheel System. A Shimano dud. The idea was that the freewheel mechanism was in the crank so that the chain was always moving and gears could be shifted while coasting.
Ah ha, so I was right then
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.