Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-14, 12:28 PM   #1
Wspsux
A Schooner IS a sailboat
Thread Starter
 
Wspsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: BK-NY
Bikes: Big Block, Salsa Vaya, Trek 2.3
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Rim Widths- Looking to purchase some wheels- Help

Hi All.

Im looking into some wheels with either the H plus Son Archetype or the H plus Son SL42. Their widths are 23mm and 20mm respectively.

I'll be primarily riding on city streets and while I do my best not to, I'll find my fair share of potholes.

My concern is in the widths, what is the difference in terms of ride between a wider (archetype) rim and a fairly standard width rim (sl42).

Will I notice the 145 grams between them? (each wheel)

Thanks
Wspsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 02:57 PM   #2
Shotland
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NYC
Bikes: '04 Bianchi Pista, '14 All-City Thunderdome
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wide rims corner better. Personally I like wide rims.

Plus archetypes are bad ass and you can't go wrong. 145g is a lot, but don't stress it.
Shotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 04:39 PM   #3
Wspsux
A Schooner IS a sailboat
Thread Starter
 
Wspsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: BK-NY
Bikes: Big Block, Salsa Vaya, Trek 2.3
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks man!

Anyone else?
Wspsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 06:27 PM   #4
hockeyteeth
Senior Member
 
hockeyteeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gnv, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotland View Post
wide rims corner better. Personally I like wide rims.

Plus archetypes are bad ass and you can't go wrong. 145g is a lot, but don't stress it.
Sage advice. Care to substantiate why wide rims universally corner better?

I think wide rims are mostly marketing hype. Unless you are running 28mm tires or wider, you will not notice a difference. Running a 25mm+ rim will keep a wider tire from wanting to roll when cornering hard, and makes a marginally more efficient air flow profile for competitive riding when closely matching the rim and tire width, but running a 23mm tire on a wider rim makes the tire inflate with a flatter shape, and I think that corners worse than when mounted on a 18-20mm rim.
hockeyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 07:29 PM   #5
GregLast
Senior Member
 
GregLast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth View Post
Sage advice. Care to substantiate why wide rims universally corner better?

I think wide rims are mostly marketing hype. Unless you are running 28mm tires or wider, you will not notice a difference. Running a 25mm+ rim will keep a wider tire from wanting to roll when cornering hard, and makes a marginally more efficient air flow profile for competitive riding when closely matching the rim and tire width, but running a 23mm tire on a wider rim makes the tire inflate with a flatter shape, and I think that corners worse than when mounted on a 18-20mm rim.
You wouldn't mount 23mm tires on anything wider than a 23mm rim. I'm currently killing it on some Alex DA22 rims that are 14mm interior width with 32mm tires. Cornering is noticeably worse. Stoked to get some wider rims to balance it back out.
GregLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 12:03 AM   #6
stryper
I just wanna ride
 
stryper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chico Califo
Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
You wouldn't mount 23mm tires on anything wider than a 23mm rim. I'm currently killing it on some Alex DA22 rims that are 14mm interior width with 32mm tires. Cornering is noticeably worse. Stoked to get some wider rims to balance it back out.
My front tire is 23mm mounted on a 25mm rim, and my 25mm rear tire is mounted on a 28mm rim. The inside widths are less so the tire beads grab just fine. Originally the rims were on a bike that could fit larger tires, but 23 and 25 is the largest I can use on this bike. I haven't had issues
stryper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 08:01 AM   #7
gl98115
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wide rims are more responsive. Narrow rims are more lively.
gl98115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 08:11 AM   #8
Wspsux
A Schooner IS a sailboat
Thread Starter
 
Wspsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: BK-NY
Bikes: Big Block, Salsa Vaya, Trek 2.3
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can you get a little more specific brough? Thanks!
Wspsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 09:17 AM   #9
GregLast
Senior Member
 
GregLast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryper View Post
My front tire is 23mm mounted on a 25mm rim, and my 25mm rear tire is mounted on a 28mm rim. The inside widths are less so the tire beads grab just fine. Originally the rims were on a bike that could fit larger tires, but 23 and 25 is the largest I can use on this bike. I haven't had issues
Thanks for being more specific. I should have specified interior width.
GregLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.