Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member auslo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Ridley Fenix A10, Fuji Track Classic SS, Electra Tiger Shark
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Single speed crankset recommendations

    Hey everybody,
    My standard 46-16 that came with my single speed bike is getting way too easy for me. I reach max speed/cadence on the flats almost instantly, and I have no problems with the hills in my city, I regularly pass geared bikes going up climbs. I'm thinking of getting a bigger chain ring, or smaller rear sprocket, but I have no idea what a good number would be, what brand to get etc. I also want a whole new crankset as my left crank snapped and the replacement is different than the other.

    TLDR; I want a new crankset that's faster than 46-16 but is still able to get up hills (nothing steeper than 10-12 degree grade probably). I've heard 49 might be worth trying.

    Budget isn't an issue, I want something light and durable but not elite level ****.

    Recommend away.

    Cheers guys n gals
    ~Auslo

  2. #2
    Senior Member franswa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Universal Cycles -- Miche Advanced Track Crankset


    ^49t
    You should replace your whole drive train if you can, so you'll want to also snag a new freewheel and chain.

  3. #3
    Member Drastry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Russia
    My Bikes
    Fuji Feather (2013)
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also considering replacing my front gear, however I'm riding brakeless fixed. This said I am curious whether skidding is going to be much more difficult or not.

    And on replacing a drive train. Can you clarify this?

  4. #4
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,656
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If money is not a factor just get a used pair of omniums or sugino 75s.
    Plentiful and affordable.

    If I were you I'd just get a larger chainring 1st then try to get a smaller freewheel because freewheels don't exactly come in lower teeth counts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member franswa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastry View Post
    I am also considering replacing my front gear, however I'm riding brakeless fixed. This said I am curious whether skidding is going to be much more difficult or not.

    And on replacing a drive train. Can you clarify this?


    as you ride,, your chain will wear along with the rear cog/freewheel. if you mix old, worn parts on your DT with new parts, it will clause premature wear on the newer parts.

  6. #6
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    13,319
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cogs tend to be cheaper than chainrings or cranksets, if money is a factor. But a one tooth change on a cog makes a bigger difference in gearing that a one tooth change at the chainring. Higher gearing will make skid stops more difficult. To maximize skid patches select a chainring/cog combination whose tooth counts are prime relative to each other.

  7. #7
    Clark W. Griswold
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    ,location, location
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Disc Trucker, Specialized Langster, Cilo Dura-Ace 12 Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    If money is not a factor just get a used pair of omniums or sugino 75s.
    Plentiful and affordable.

    If I were you I'd just get a larger chainring 1st then try to get a smaller freewheel because freewheels don't exactly come in lower teeth counts.
    "If money is not a factor" than you tell people to buy used? HUH? If money is not a factor buy new stuff and if it is even less of a factor get Super Sugino 75s with the S3 coating like a certified boss ; )
    Quote Originally Posted by jhess74 View Post
    just flip it over to fixed and forget about brakes. check out the documentary "premium rush" for more info.

  8. #8
    LBKA punkncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OTP South
    Posts
    2,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the gearing...
    HTML5 Gear Calculator

    Plug in current, and options to get an idea of gear inches/speed for RPM. Excellent tool.
    One Foot Less

  9. #9
    Senior Member bmwjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Telford, PA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle gear ratios are often discussed in terms of gear-inches. In the olden days the only "gearing" on a high wheel bicycle was the diameter of the wheel. The bigger the harder is was to pedal, and the faster you would go. The smaller the front wheel the easier it was to pedal and you would not go as fast. (Just picture a kid on a tricycle, small wheel=pedal like crazy.

    A typical geared bike has the ability to go from about 40 gear-inches to 120 gear inches. Your current set up is 75.7 gear inches according to BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart. In my opinion you should try something around 80 gear inches. That will give you a little more speed w/o making it too tough. (This is a very personal thing.) Looking at the chart if you switch to a 49T chainring you will be at 80.5 gear inches. You will probably need a longer chain. This would work.

    Another thought would be to get a Wabi dual 18/16 cog for the rear. Wabi Cycles fixed gear cogs This gives you a lot of day to day flexibility. With the 49 front ring you would have the choice of 80.5 or 71.5 gear-inches by just loosening the rear wheel and moving the chain.

    Ride Safe,

    Joe

  10. #10
    Senior Member franswa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwjoe View Post
    Bicycle gear ratios are often discussed in terms of gear-inches. In the olden days the only "gearing" on a high wheel bicycle was the diameter of the wheel. The bigger the harder is was to pedal, and the faster you would go. The smaller the front wheel the easier it was to pedal and you would not go as fast. (Just picture a kid on a tricycle, small wheel=pedal like crazy.

    A typical geared bike has the ability to go from about 40 gear-inches to 120 gear inches. Your current set up is 75.7 gear inches according to BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart. In my opinion you should try something around 80 gear inches. That will give you a little more speed w/o making it too tough. (This is a very personal thing.) Looking at the chart if you switch to a 49T chainring you will be at 80.5 gear inches. You will probably need a longer chain. This would work.

    Another thought would be to get a Wabi dual 18/16 cog for the rear. Wabi Cycles fixed gear cogs This gives you a lot of day to day flexibility. With the 49 front ring you would have the choice of 80.5 or 71.5 gear-inches by just loosening the rear wheel and moving the chain.

    Ride Safe,

    Joe
    Based on the OP's thread title, he's interested in a single speed drivetrain, which means he could be looking to ride with a freewheel. if that's the case he may consider the White Industries Dos Eno, which provides two different freewheel cogs in one unit.


    http://www.amazon.com/White-Industri.../dp/B003NML7K4

  11. #11
    Junior Member cDiff Notorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I am with my 44/16 struggling with a 3% hill

  12. #12
    Senior Member GENESTARWIND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    My Bikes
    pake rum runner
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80gi for the street isn't a good recommendation. if anything he should work on his current gearing and how to spin better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •