Cycling in S America end Jan- end July 2010- Advice Please
I hope somone can give us some advice please- my boyfriend and I are thinking of taking our bikes to cycle in S America. We haven't quite decided on the landing destination yet but if we proceed our plan of cycling We are thinking of maybe seeing certain parts of Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay and Brazil.
I had only been to certain parts of Argentina and Chile travelling (mostly camping) but not cycling. My pack was heavy then. If we cycle this time (and we have to try sticking to a tight budget) we would take camping gear, summer clothing etc on panniers. Can someone tell me:
1) How do/did you find cycling at this time of the year in the northern Argentinan region and counties I mentioned above? (I vaguely remember I was fried even walking on the streets in Tucuman and Cordoba).
2) If we choose to land in Buenos Aires how safe is it to cycle, say to San Telmo?
3) Are there any other cities you think is quite nice to land in? (I don't particularly wish to land in cities like Rio de Janiero in Brazil while we are still disorientated, jetlagged from a trans-atlantic flight from Europe with our big bike bag with all our stuff)
4) Any other tips in terms of South American cycling destinations?
5) Any recommended cycling guide books for that region?
Hopefully we can hear from you for some tips and advice.