Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southeast Regional Rides and Events Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-13, 06:34 AM   #1
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Anyone Riding the 32nd Cross Florida Bike Ride? April 7th.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone was riding this / what you are doing to prepare.

It's my first time, I'm signing up for the 176 Sunday ride and I'm wondering , is there anything special about this ride that I should know in order to get ready for it?

Looking forward to seeing you there,
--Phil
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 12:15 PM   #2
LiamSkymom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ridge Manor FL
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Street
Posts: 160
I'm not riding. There is no way I could make the cutoff times - still way to slow. Maybe in a year or two. Only thing I can tell you is that there are a little bit of hills after mile 122. Not anything compared to other places but for Florida, it is a little bit hilly. It usually makes for a nice ride, but after so many previous miles, it might be, um, tiring.
LiamSkymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 09:43 AM   #3
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamSkymom View Post
I'm not riding. There is no way I could make the cutoff times - still way to slow. Maybe in a year or two. Only thing I can tell you is that there are a little bit of hills after mile 122. Not anything compared to other places but for Florida, it is a little bit hilly. It usually makes for a nice ride, but after so many previous miles, it might be, um, tiring.
Thanks for the tip, I think I will go ride up/down the only hill in the area. (A 70' tall bridge going over the ICW. )

Last edited by ythe1300; 03-09-13 at 09:02 PM.
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 01:13 AM   #4
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet
 
Sayre Kulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
Posts: 1,103
Sounds like fun. Don't know what I'm doing yet. We close on a home on Monday. Lot's to do after that.
__________________
"Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."
Sayre Kulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 05:59 AM   #5
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp View Post
Sounds like fun. Don't know what I'm doing yet. We close on a home on Monday. Lot's to do after that.
I hope everything goes well and I hope to see you there........

I need people to draft off of.
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 08:31 PM   #6
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
yup I'm going

Quote:
Originally Posted by ythe1300 View Post
I hope everything goes well and I hope to see you there........

I need people to draft off of.
I'm going. Coming down from michigan for vacation. It just so happens that the vacation starts on the east side of the state and a week later have to go to the west side of the state. Might as well ride the bike across!!!

I'm afraid I won't be much good for drafting. I'm bringing the quest velomobile. No draft here.

lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 09:19 PM   #7
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
I'm going. Coming down from michigan for vacation. It just so happens that the vacation starts on the east side of the state and a week later have to go to the west side of the state. Might as well ride the bike across!!!

I'm afraid I won't be much good for drafting. I'm bringing the quest velomobile. No draft here.

No, I don't think I will get much of a draft at all off of that.
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 09:21 AM   #8
LiamSkymom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ridge Manor FL
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Street
Posts: 160
So how did it go. I meant to head out to Bayport to watch and cheer for some finishers, but to many activities that my boys were involved in got in the way.
LiamSkymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 05:11 AM   #9
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
I had a great time, saw Low in his velo, but I didn't get chance to say anything to him as he dropped me quite quickly.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48285726
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:33 AM   #10
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ythe1300 View Post
I had a great time, saw Low in his velo, but I didn't get chance to say anything to him as he dropped me quite quickly.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48285726
I ended up racing against another recumbent rider the entire way and ended up with a time of 7 hours 4 minutes 43 seconds for an average speed of 23.38mph. We didn't stop for anything other than a couple stoplights that held us up for 3:42 seconds idle time. There is some video on youtube. One is mine and the other from another recumbent rider that jumped on midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5J7...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wcx0...ature=youtu.be
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 09:23 AM   #11
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
I ended up racing against another recumbent rider the entire way and ended up with a time of 7 hours 4 minutes 43 seconds for an average speed of 23.38mph. We didn't stop for anything other than a couple stoplights that held us up for 3:42 seconds idle time. There is some video on youtube. One is mine and the other from another recumbent rider that jumped on midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5J7...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wcx0...ature=youtu.be
Was that out on Nova? How where all the bumps in that thing?
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 08:26 PM   #12
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ythe1300 View Post
Was that out on Nova? How where all the bumps in that thing?
bumps? I thought the entire route was incredibly smooth except for that really short stretch that was like a mine field. I'm not sure what town it was in. The Quest has full suspension with a risse racing air shock in the rear. I run 50mm wide tires at 60 psi coupled with the suspension, it really is the ideal platform for long distance on questionable surface roads. There were a few stretches when I was getting away from Kent Polk that I was cruising at 34mph for a number of miles. I'm training to get a really good time on the RAIN ride and want to beat my 3:49 century time at the black bear this year. I'm only 7 minutes shy of the course record at the black bear race in michigan. I think I'll have a good shot at breaking it this year with a couple small aero mods and a faster rear tire change.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 09:03 PM   #13
ythe1300
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL, Space Coast
Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer1 View Post
bumps? I thought the entire route was incredibly smooth except for that really short stretch that was like a mine field. I'm not sure what town it was in. The Quest has full suspension with a risse racing air shock in the rear. I run 50mm wide tires at 60 psi coupled with the suspension, it really is the ideal platform for long distance on questionable surface roads. There were a few stretches when I was getting away from Kent Polk that I was cruising at 34mph for a number of miles. I'm training to get a really good time on the RAIN ride and want to beat my 3:49 century time at the black bear this year. I'm only 7 minutes shy of the course record at the black bear race in michigan. I think I'll have a good shot at breaking it this year with a couple small aero mods and a faster rear tire change.
All the guys on Al where complaining the whole time, but I think I know the area you are talking about, it was brick that was kind of covered in tarmac..... in the 50's .... then there where those railroad tracks that dislodged my saddle bag. anyway, you would kill me I'm still trying to break a 6 hour century.....
ythe1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 05:01 PM   #14
Bikey Mikey
Senior Member
 
Bikey Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Posts: 3,325
3 hours 49 minute Century! Go Speed Racer!
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.