Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southeast (http://www.bikeforums.net/southeast/)
-   -   Whoo Hoo! Floridians/Crackers New Post! (http://www.bikeforums.net/southeast/221835-whoo-hoo-floridians-crackers-new-post.html)

wfin2004 10-10-11 05:20 PM

I am sure it is north of the Starkey Park entrance on the Suncoast. The planners most likely have a vision for the future with this overpass already completed.

jhturek 10-10-11 06:29 PM

I do remember seeing somewhere along the Suncoast where there was an overpass where I didn't think one should be. Perhaps that is where you are talking about.

jhturek 11-02-11 01:00 PM

Part 2 of my 4 part covering the Suncoast Trail. Trying to keep it casual with 20 to 25 mile loops (this one covers mile marker 10 to West Bowman Road (mile 20.3 according to the trail map). Enjoy the pictures and happy Trails!! http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2011/11/...ounty-florida/

wfin2004 11-02-11 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13444601)
Part 2 of my 4 part covering the Suncoast Trail. Trying to keep it casual with 20 to 25 mile loops (this one covers mile marker 10 to West Bowman Road (mile 20.3 according to the trail map). Enjoy the pictures and happy Trails!! http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2011/11/...ounty-florida/


Thanks again for the pics and updates. Well appreciated. I too enjoy bridges along any trail. It seems to break any monotony that may creep along the ride.

The cars and mobile homes . . .well that is Pasco County. My sister and husband live in Pasco Co. and I am amazed each time I visit her that her husband has a "new" car to add to the collection. Last time I was there I asked him if Home Depot delivers all the cement blocks to his house to set these dead cars on!

Keep up the great work. I enjoy the blog tremendously.

jhturek 11-02-11 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfin2004 (Post 13444865)
Thanks again for the pics and updates. Well appreciated. I too enjoy bridges along any trail. It seems to break any monotony that may creep along the ride.

The cars and mobile homes . . .well that is Pasco County. My sister and husband live in Pasco Co. and I am amazed each time I visit her that her husband has a "new" car to add to the collection. Last time I was there I asked him if Home Depot delivers all the cement blocks to his house to set these dead cars on!

Keep up the great work. I enjoy the blog tremendously.

Thanks for the kind words. I actually enjoy the abandoned mobile home and cars. Living in the most densely populated county in Florida, that would never be allowed so it is nice to see the rusting hulks beside the trail.

Thanks for reading and the encouraging words!! Greatly appreciated. Cheers ~ John

DEF1 11-04-11 08:44 AM

We bought a winter home west of 19 between Trouble Creek and 54. The county has been installing new water lines along the west side of 19. They are also putting in a bike path. Sofar the only part paved is from Floramar Terrace to Trouble Creek. The path has been grated south of Trouble Creek but not paved. Anyone know how far south the path is going to go?

jhturek 12-21-11 08:36 AM

Part 3 of a 4 part series dedicated to reviews of the Suncoast Trail. This piece reviews a 22 mile loop from the Rester Road Educational Facility down to West Bowman Road and back. It is a little hillier than the previous sections but shouldn't tax the cyclist too much.

http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2011/12/...nties-florida/

Enjoy! Cheers ~ John

mleach82 12-23-11 07:45 PM

Love the blogs on the Suncoast Trail. I live in Spring Hill and have only rode the section from SR 50 to Crews Lake Park.

Every morning i get in a ride before work from Corporate Blvd to County Line and back as i work right over the overpass at Corporate Blvd. I't a nice 6 mile morning ride to start my day before work.

oldtaiji 12-30-11 05:51 PM

Checking in from Port Charlotte here,, have a trail their working on in Punta Gorda,, have to go up to Venice for a regular bike trail,, but pretty good riding down here,, but Tamiami trail is too busy, and other areas one has to be careful,,other wise its pretty good riding and the weather has been great.

jhturek 01-01-12 10:17 PM

ON a lark this morning, I thought I would drive over to the east coast and check out the Flagler Beach to Marineland Trail...enjoy the post. Happy Trails ~ John
http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

zzOtherlandzz 01-01-12 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13665095)
ON a lark this morning, I thought I would drive over to the east coast and check out the Flagler Beach to Marineland Trail...enjoy the post. Happy Trails ~ John
http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

Cool pictures... I have ridden the stretch from Marineland to Varn Park probably a 100 times over the years (although only a few times in the past 2 years). A few times I went as far south as the Flagler pier. Did you happen to ride over the Hammock Dunes bridge? Its a nice little climb and a pretty nice view from the top. There is a turn off of the main trail that loops around so that you can cross the bridge. It is a gated community on the other side.. So I used to just ride over and back...

lookinUp 01-02-12 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtaiji (Post 13657121)
Checking in from Port Charlotte here,, have a trail their working on in Punta Gorda,, have to go up to Venice for a regular bike trail,, but pretty good riding down here,, but Tamiami trail is too busy, and other areas one has to be careful,,other wise its pretty good riding and the weather has been great.

Legacy Trail is NOT the only trail in your area. The Cape Haze Pioneer Trail and the Boca Grande Bike Path are terrific riding. They have finally extended the Cape Haze Trail so you can get to the Boca Grande Trail and there is a great stop at a kayak outfitters (Grande Tours in Placida) half way - for refreshments.

Here's a link to the Cape Haze Trail: http://www.traillink.com/trail/cape-...eer-trail.aspx


jhturek 01-07-12 06:40 PM

Last of a 4 part review of the Suncoast Trail - absolute best part of the trail in my humble opinion. Enjoy...

http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

Happy Trails ~ John

mleach82 01-07-12 07:35 PM

I rode that section last saturday. Was only able to make it from 98 to just past Centrailia when my front shifter decided to give out. I agree, one of the nicer parts of the trail!

jhturek 01-10-12 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookinUp (Post 13665974)
Legacy Trail is NOT the only trail in your area. The Cape Haze Pioneer Trail and the Boca Grande Bike Path are terrific riding. They have finally extended the Cape Haze Trail so you can get to the Boca Grande Trail and there is a great stop at a kayak outfitters (Grande Tours in Placida) half way - for refreshments.

Here's a link to the Cape Haze Trail: http://www.traillink.com/trail/cape-...eer-trail.aspx


@lookinUp - You mention that you can get to the Boca Grande Trail from the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail. Is it all designated trail or do you follow roadways to get over to the Boca Grande Trail? I've looked on Google Maps and there doesn't appear to be a dedicated trail connecting the two. Thanks for any help or insight ou can provide.

Happy Trails ~ John

lookinUp 01-10-12 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13701587)
@lookinUp - You mention that you can get to the Boca Grande Trail from the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail. Is it all designated trail or do you follow roadways to get over to the Boca Grande Trail? I've looked on Google Maps and there doesn't appear to be a dedicated trail connecting the two. Thanks for any help or insight ou can provide.

Happy Trails ~ John

John, they have finally finished the bridge over the 'creek' and the major bridge on 771 (which now has a wide bike sidewalk), so you can ride from the Publix or trailhead at 771/776 all the way to the turnoff to Boca Grande without riding on the road. However, You still have a mile on paved roads over the bridge to Boca Grande (and have to pay a toll) to get to the Boca Grande Trail.

jhturek 01-14-12 07:05 PM

Chilly ride this morning. Went down and did the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

Boca Grande Trail coming soon. Enjoy the pictures.

Cheers ~ John

jhturek 01-14-12 09:38 PM

Beautiful ride along the island of Boca Grande. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

Enjoy and happy trails! John

lookinUp 01-15-12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13720546)
Chilly ride this morning. Went down and did the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/01/...ounty-florida/

Boca Grande Trail coming soon. Enjoy the pictures.

Cheers ~ John

Good write up on both trails, John. This area was my home for several years and I know virtually every road in the Rotonda and South Gulf Cove and the two trails. The Coastal Cruisers Bicycle Club rides this area and is a great group of folks to ride with if you ever get down there again. Check out their website at www.coastalcruisers.net.

Sue

BONTREKKER 01-24-12 11:10 AM

Nooob to the site, out of Miami Fl, mountain biker. Appreciate the forum, and most of the the info posted.Most humorous individuals on here.

wfin2004 01-24-12 06:00 PM

Thanks Bontrekker. Florida dude here across the state in Apollo Beach which is just south of Tampa.

jhturek 02-03-12 04:17 PM

Here is a review of a smallish trail just north of Crystal River. It is only about 11 miles out and back but very pretty. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/02/...ounty-florida/

Enjoy!

Happy Trails ~ John

wfin2004 02-03-12 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13805752)
Here is a review of a smallish trail just north of Crystal River. It is only about 11 miles out and back but very pretty. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/02/...ounty-florida/

Enjoy!

Happy Trails ~ John

Great job . . . as always. Thanks!

Lindaosm 02-04-12 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhturek (Post 13805752)
Here is a review of a smallish trail just north of Crystal River. It is only about 11 miles out and back but very pretty. http://neccfl.com/wordpress/2012/02/...ounty-florida/

Enjoy!

Happy Trails ~ John

this is one of our favorite trails! Not long but very scenic. Also, if you have a mb you can take a trail that heads east (just past the restrooms at the trailhead) and there is a nice loop around a huge man-made lake. I thought I had a picture but can't find it. It's really a pretty neat trail as the east side climbs a very high hill that overlooks the lake.
Also, another great one west of the Bay Trail is the Inglis Island Trail. Great trail that goes around the island. map below. We've been many times. Some sandy areas to the south but not real long. It runs next to the locks.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=236138
here's a picture of part of the trail.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=236139

oops..hit enter before I finished. Hubby says the one just east of Felburn park is a birding trail but....it doesn't say you can't bike. Also, the lake is a man made rock pit that was apparently created when the Cross Fl Barge Canal was being made. Now I'm determined to find that picture.

Also, great review of the Bay Trail! Thanks

mileslong 02-07-12 07:16 AM

Visiting North Port area
 
I am fortunate enough to be able to escape Maine and have two weeks to explore the North Port and Venice areas this month. I don't know much about the area and am wondering if I should plan on riding trails or roads?

I am a little worried about all the bad things you hear about FL drivers and think maybe I should stay away from the roads. I am hoping to get in some good exercise so I don't really want to just putt down MUP's if I can avoid it. I will be able to drive to starting points if necessary.

I have read about the Legacy trail, the Venetian waterway and the Manasota Key Road loop, any opinions? Any suggestions on where to ride, road bike or hybrid, how to prepare for the heat and sand etc., etc. would be appreciated. I can't wait to get off the trainer!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.