Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-06, 02:06 PM   #1
flipflops
Hello, heroes.
Thread Starter
 
flipflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Bikes: '08 madone 5.1 WSD, '05 specialized dolce
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best place to buy a bike in NoVa? (good service, good deals)

My brother who is brand new to cycling wants to buy a road bike and he lives in the Sterling area. He wouldn't mind traveling to a good shop but it would be great if there were one near him. He wants to buy a good bike but since it's his first time and he doesn't really know anything about buying a bike, he needs a good shop that will do a good fit and hopefully give him a good deal.

Any ideas on where I should send him?
__________________
Stay frosty.
flipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 03:22 PM   #2
Bockman
Castiron Perineum
 
Bockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot recommend these folks enough:

The Bike Lane
9544 Old Keene Mill Road
Burke Town Plaze / Burke, VA

Phone: (703) 440-8701
Email:Info@TheBikeLane.com
Mon-Fri 10-8, Sat 10-6
Sun 12-5

I've NEVER had poor customer service there ever, either in person or on the phone. It's a small shop, so the one caveat I might make is to go at an off time of day (as in, not a Saturday afternoon).
Bockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 04:26 PM   #3
kokomo61
Senior Member
 
kokomo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bockman -

Thanks for the info (I also posted a note earlier about a good service shop). I'm not immediately in the market for a bike, but I have 3 that are looking for some minor service and fit adjustments. At some point, I want to upgrade the commuter bike with either/or parts or better bike.

How would you rate Bike Lane for service/fit/maintenance work?
__________________
Giant OCR C2
Fuji Cross Pro
Scattante 650-R
'06 Kona Jake the Snake - back to stock, and up for sale.
kokomo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 05:16 PM   #4
flipflops
Hello, heroes.
Thread Starter
 
flipflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Bikes: '08 madone 5.1 WSD, '05 specialized dolce
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Bockman-- you mentioned they were a small shop-- do you think they'd have a fair variety of bikes for him to try? We have some excellent smaller shops near where I live but they don't necessarily carry many brands/styles of bikes.
__________________
Stay frosty.
flipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 05:47 PM   #5
Bockman
Castiron Perineum
 
Bockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo61
Bockman -

Thanks for the info (I also posted a note earlier about a good service shop). I'm not immediately in the market for a bike, but I have 3 that are looking for some minor service and fit adjustments. At some point, I want to upgrade the commuter bike with either/or parts or better bike.

How would you rate Bike Lane for service/fit/maintenance work?
Service: Awesome. Many times small adjustments and/or technical issues are done on the spot at no charge, although I always offer to pay. (That reminds me, I need to take them a huge tray of danishes or something). I don't know how you have faired but usually I find other shops wanting to schedule a time just to look at and diagnose/repair whatever is ailing the bike, even something like a half-handlebar wrap or a dérailleur adjustment.

Fit: I know they have a Fit Kit because I've seen the setup and have actually been there during portions of someone's fitting. They were getting fitted both for an ATB and a road bike and I was impressed by the fitter's thoroughness. I think they also have a Serotta-trained fit specialist but I'm not certain. I haven't used their services personally in this area, mind you.

Maintenance work: I've only had 3-4 reasons to stop in for that service but I will tell you they broke down my 80's Cannondale for painting and boxed everything up for me for $30.00, which to me is a great price. Otherwise these guys have always returned my bike to me dialed in and flawless. Just have a look around the shop and you'll see customer's top end bikes everywhere-- that's always a good sign.

Quote:
Thanks Bockman-- you mentioned they were a small shop-- do you think they'd have a fair variety of bikes for him to try? We have some excellent smaller shops near where I live but they don't necessarily carry many brands/styles of bikes.
The place is definitely packed with bikes, but if you're looking for an unusual frame size it would be best I think to just call and have a conversation about what it is you're looking for and see what they say. They're not going to drag you in for a bait-n-switch, for example.

All these glowing comments on my part make me want to pause and mention I am in no way affiliated with the Bike Lane, I just appreciate good customer service (I worked all through high school and college at Nordstrom as well as The Bike Exchange, which are and were zealous companies when it comes to good customer service, so I have high standards.)
Bockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 07:43 PM   #6
cc_rider
Calamari to go
 
cc_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Falls Church, VA
Bikes: Trek 750
Posts: 3,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockman
I cannot recommend these folks enough:

The Bike Lane
9544 Old Keene Mill Road
Burke Town Plaze / Burke, VA

Phone: (703) 440-8701
Email:Info@TheBikeLane.com
Mon-Fri 10-8, Sat 10-6
Sun 12-5

I've NEVER had poor customer service there ever, either in person or on the phone. It's a small shop, so the one caveat I might make is to go at an off time of day (as in, not a Saturday afternoon).
Agreed. They're one of my favorite shops. Bought my current tires from them, and I'll probably go there first when I shop for a new bike in a couple of years.

They're a little out of the way, so they often get overlooked when people think of good lbs' in NoVA.


For maintainance I go to the HTO at Fairfax Circle. The mechanics do a good job with my old steel clunker. For me, it's more convenient than bike Lane.

Last edited by cc_rider; 12-11-06 at 08:24 PM.
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 04:57 PM   #7
cyclochica
Don't Taunt Happyfunball
 
cyclochica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the Snake, Fuji Club SE
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big Wheel Bikes in Alexandria and Arlington is another good one. When I haven't had luck at Bike Lane and other shops, i can usually get what I need from the guys at Big Wheel.
__________________
There can be only one.
cyclochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 08:58 AM   #8
ks1g
Because I thought I could
 
ks1g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wash DC Metro
Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
late but a few more shops: A-1 Cycles in Herndon (McNair Farms/Clock Tower). Good selection of road bikes, I like their mechanics. No 1st-hand experience with new purchases. Spokes Etc in Ashburn (good mechanics) and Vienna (one of the best bike fitters in the area works there). Have had good experiences with Spokes on purchases, service, and repairs. Pedal Shop (Ashburn, just N of the bike trail) is a small shop more MTB-oriented, but a very good place for service and helping with crazy ideas. There's a shop in Leesburg on Catoctin Circle (just N of Rt 7 business) - can't recall the name, only visited it once. Trails End in Purcelville is a bit out of the way but has a nice assortment of road bikes. I have heard many good things about Bike Lane but have no 1st-hand experience with them.
ks1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 07:18 PM   #9
flipflops
Hello, heroes.
Thread Starter
 
flipflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Bikes: '08 madone 5.1 WSD, '05 specialized dolce
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1g
late but a few more shops: A-1 Cycles in Herndon (McNair Farms/Clock Tower). Good selection of road bikes, I like their mechanics. No 1st-hand experience with new purchases. Spokes Etc in Ashburn (good mechanics) and Vienna (one of the best bike fitters in the area works there).
So funny you should mention A1-- my brother asked about A1 a few days ago-- i'll pass along your suggestions-- especially the one about Spokes Etc.

Anyone know how A1 is as far as bike fitting?
__________________
Stay frosty.
flipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 10:01 PM   #10
jakbikesdc
Senior Member
 
jakbikesdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WesternSlopeCO
Bikes:
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey theres a little new place in Fairfax called Oasis bike works (www.oasisbikeworks.com). They're really a personal shop. They mainly cater to the George Mason student pop. but they have a good direction. I just recently bought a fixie from Kona through them, and Dave(owner/partner) shaved some of the price and is helping me personalize the bike( flat narrow bars, pedals) they don't carry many bieks in the shop but they can easily find what you want, and won't charge extra either. You pay for the parts and they'll put them on for little or no mechanic's surcharge.
Oh and they're huge on bike commuters.
jakbikesdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 07:01 AM   #11
Bockman
Castiron Perineum
 
Bockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*bump*

I wanted to followup with my own recommendation, I stopped by yesterday for a derailleur adjustment and they did it for no charge. Nice, friendly people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbikesdc View Post
Hey theres a little new place in Fairfax called Oasis bike works (www.oasisbikeworks.com). They're really a personal shop. They mainly cater to the George Mason student pop. but they have a good direction. I just recently bought a fixie from Kona through them, and Dave(owner/partner) shaved some of the price and is helping me personalize the bike( flat narrow bars, pedals) they don't carry many bieks in the shop but they can easily find what you want, and won't charge extra either. You pay for the parts and they'll put them on for little or no mechanic's surcharge.
Oh and they're huge on bike commuters.
Bockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.