Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 122
  1. #26
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronspoker View Post
    I'm from the Lafayette area. I'm mostly into commuting, utility, fitness, and mountain (swamp?) biking, probably not in that order. I hope you guys are coming to the Critical Mass rides.. they're about the most relaxing ride down Johnson St you'll ever have.
    I'm doing the triathlon there in Lafayette next week....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  2. #27
    NOT a Trek Junkie Blue-Shamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Trick question - House and family in Louisiana...I'm in Illinois
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Orca, 2001 Giant Rincon, 1999 Softride Powerwing 650
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Cow!!! Lafayette has a Critical Mass??!!!???!! That's awesome!! I bet there are a bunch of P.O.'d cajuns ragin!!
    Those who can't, talk. Those who can, do!
    What we do in life echoes through eternity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GEAUX TIGERS!

  3. #28
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, a Crit Mass down the only street in Lafayette that has a marked bike lane?
    A city that actually has a bikeway plan as part of their long-range development plan?
    A city that engaged cyclists to write that very plan?
    A city that teaches LAB Effective Cycling as part of the PE program in public middle schools?
    A city that I find decent to ride in?

    Sounds counter-productive to me.

    Allow me to introduce myself: I am a LAB LCI, a cycling advocate, citizen chairman of the Bicycle Committee of the Lafayette Metro Planning Organization and someone who rides Lafayette regularly.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  4. #29
    NOT a Trek Junkie Blue-Shamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Trick question - House and family in Louisiana...I'm in Illinois
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Orca, 2001 Giant Rincon, 1999 Softride Powerwing 650
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...I didn't realize Lafayette has become so cyclist friendly.....I wish they could share that enthusiasm with Houma and Terrebonehead parish!

    I believe if there was ever a critical mass in Houma, there would be a lot of dead cyclists!
    Those who can't, talk. Those who can, do!
    What we do in life echoes through eternity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GEAUX TIGERS!

  5. #30
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, the roads are generally pretty narrow in Houma, too. And busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  6. #31
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Shamu View Post
    Wow...I didn't realize Lafayette has become so cyclist friendly.....I wish they could share that enthusiasm with Houma and Terrebonehead parish!
    Roger that. I did a charity ride over there. We had just gotten started when some idiot in an old p/u truck came around us ranting & raving. Our State Police escort pulled him over.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  7. #32
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iss there a link to the Lafayette roads/trails map(s)? I have one for BR and NO, but no Lafayette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  8. #33
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  9. #34
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Tinker View Post
    Hmmm, a Crit Mass down the only street in Lafayette that has a marked bike lane?
    A city that actually has a bikeway plan as part of their long-range development plan?
    A city that engaged cyclists to write that very plan?
    A city that teaches LAB Effective Cycling as part of the PE program in public middle schools?
    A city that I find decent to ride in?

    Sounds counter-productive to me.
    I am shocked that you would feel that way!

    Since you seem to have everyone's best interests at heart, I can only assume that you have been mislead regarding what CM is. So I will tell you. It is a bicycle ride; its participants come for diverse reasons, which does include advocacy, but mostly, for some other reason which remains somewhat ephermal: a sense of peace, and community. It is a ride I would recommend to anyone, even if you are not a hippie anarchist or whatever the stereotype is--because most certainly I am not one myself.

    Besides, CM is the only non-racing-speed group ride that exists in Lafayette right now, as far as I know. I'd appreciate knowing about any other.

    In case you are wondering, the Lafayette CM ride was about 50 bicycles last month. On Johnson, Congress, and University, the riders used only a single lane, allowing the relatively sparse evening traffic to pass. As far as I know, there has never been an incident or a compliant, as Lafayette rides seem mostly free of the trouble-makers who have plagued some other high-profile CM rides.

    Regarding advocacy, this is not my reason for riding in CM, but I beleive it has a place here despite what you have said. Whatever the City has done, many residents still do not tolerate bicycles. Just last month, a student in UL's Vermillion newspaper was quoted as saying he did not beleive bicycles should ride in the road, and it is clear this sentiment is shared by many. For my part, I have been subject to the usual sort of minor harassment; I recently avoided a large globule of saliva aimed from a car on Johnston St, by mere centimeters.

    So I respectfully think you have misjudged CM. If Lafayette is truly supportive of cycling, then it should endorse CM wholeheartedly, as have other larger pro-cycling municipalities.


    Sorry for the long rant, but I think it was important to say. Can you tell me where I can learn more about these pro-cycling initiatives of the City--perhaps any online resources? I don't participate in city politics, so I should you could understand that I have never heard of any of this.

  11. #36
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronspoker View Post
    I am shocked that you would feel that way!

    Since you seem to have everyone's best interests at heart, I can only assume that you have been mislead regarding what CM is. So I will tell you. It is a bicycle ride; its participants come for diverse reasons, which does include advocacy, but mostly, for some other reason which remains somewhat ephermal: a sense of peace, and community. It is a ride I would recommend to anyone, even if you are not a hippie anarchist or whatever the stereotype is--because most certainly I am not one myself.

    Besides, CM is the only non-racing-speed group ride that exists in Lafayette right now, as far as I know. I'd appreciate knowing about any other.

    In case you are wondering, the Lafayette CM ride was about 50 bicycles last month. On Johnson, Congress, and University, the riders used only a single lane, allowing the relatively sparse evening traffic to pass. As far as I know, there has never been an incident or a compliant, as Lafayette rides seem mostly free of the trouble-makers who have plagued some other high-profile CM rides.

    Regarding advocacy, this is not my reason for riding in CM, but I beleive it has a place here despite what you have said. Whatever the City has done, many residents still do not tolerate bicycles. Just last month, a student in UL's Vermillion newspaper was quoted as saying he did not beleive bicycles should ride in the road, and it is clear this sentiment is shared by many. For my part, I have been subject to the usual sort of minor harassment; I recently avoided a large globule of saliva aimed from a car on Johnston St, by mere centimeters.

    So I respectfully think you have misjudged CM. If Lafayette is truly supportive of cycling, then it should endorse CM wholeheartedly, as have other larger pro-cycling municipalities.


    Sorry for the long rant, but I think it was important to say. Can you tell me where I can learn more about these pro-cycling initiatives of the City--perhaps any online resources? I don't participate in city politics, so I should you could understand that I have never heard of any of this.

    To be honest, I have never participated in the Lafayette CM, and have, perhaps, unfairly judged it by othe CMs I have seen in Houston & Dallas, plus news reports and this forum.

    Cajun Cyclists does have slower paced rides from Pack & Paddle on Saturdays. The club has made a deliberate effort to have group leaders for a more reasonable paced rides, a change from the past.

    I am pleased to hear that the road is indeed being shared. This alone puts the CM in question ahead of some others. Please be aware that Louisiana does have a mandatory side path law (unfortunately), so technically, you could be cited for that on parts of Johnson. Never heard of a legal rider being written up for that around here, which is good news. The local club has done a lot of work to gain public acceptance for cyclists. We can include in our ranks police, lawyers & judges who ride.

    Search out the Cajun Cyclists Yahoo group, sign up & get on the mailing list. Then you will learn more about what goes on in the Lafayette area. Come to a meeting. Ever heard of the Atakapas-Ishak Trail? If you want to effect a positive change for cyclists in Lafayette, I contend you can do far more working with the system, from the inside, than by butting your head against the monolithic outside of the system. Infiltrate instead.

    Iíve marked my calendar for next week. You are right: I really should see before I judge.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  12. #37
    THE NEW EVOLUTION gulfcoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Aurora Elite, 2012 Jamis Coda Sport
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of the rare fixies in Lafayette.

  13. #38
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So was I. Converted it to SS this week as a consession to my aging knees.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  14. #39
    Infidel oldfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bayou Blue, La. but I ain't from around here
    My Bikes
    1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Shamu View Post
    .................. not so bicyclist friendly folks of Terrebonehead Parish.
    You got that right. I live in Bayou Blue and try to ride everyday but getting out on the road with these idiots is death defying.
    Oldfool
    tinkerer, maker
    Aviator, retired - Mariner, retired
    www.oldfool.org
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  15. #40
    Senior Member shumacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hammond, LA
    My Bikes
    95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Tinker View Post
    Please be aware that Louisiana does have a mandatory side path law (unfortunately), so technically, you could be cited for that on parts of Johnson. Never heard of a legal rider being written up for that around here, which is good news.
    Could someone explain what this is, and what the implications are?

  16. #41
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. Here is the law, from RS 32:

    197. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths

    A. Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

    B. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

    C. Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.


    What this means is that a cyclist must abandon the roadway whenever there is a nearby bicycle facility. I've interpreted and argued this to be a parallel, signed bikeway in usable condition. It really helps if you know the relevant parts of the code better than whoever you are debating the point with.

    To put it in motorists' terms, they gotta bail on the freeway anytime there is a service road.

    Some refer to this as the 'bicyclist inferiority clause' of the Federal uniform vehicle code.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  17. #42
    Senior Member shumacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hammond, LA
    My Bikes
    95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Tinker View Post
    Sure. Here is the law, from RS 32:

    197. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths

    A. Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

    B. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

    C. Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.


    What this means is that a cyclist must abandon the roadway whenever there is a nearby bicycle facility. I've interpreted and argued this to be a parallel, signed bikeway in usable condition. It really helps if you know the relevant parts of the code better than whoever you are debating the point with.

    To put it in motorists' terms, they gotta bail on the freeway anytime there is a service road.

    Some refer to this as the 'bicyclist inferiority clause' of the Federal uniform vehicle code.
    Thanks. I sure hope there are provisions for left turns, particularly on multi-lane roads. I ain't walkin.

  18. #43
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shumacher View Post
    Thanks. I sure hope there are provisions for left turns, particularly on multi-lane roads. I ain't walkin.
    Yep, there is a whole list of exceptions to the sidepath & 'as far right' rules.

    The code for LA is here: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?folder=106
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  19. #44
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have anyone else heard the new bike/ped commercial on the radio? They say how drivers need to yield to us or pay the consequences and that cyclists need to ride with traffic. Cool stuff.

  20. #45
    Senior Member shumacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hammond, LA
    My Bikes
    95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roughrider504 View Post
    Have anyone else heard the new bike/ped commercial on the radio? They say how drivers need to yield to us or pay the consequences and that cyclists need to ride with traffic. Cool stuff.
    I haven't heard them, but hey, awesome.

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Shamu View Post
    Houma....well...I have house and family there...I work in Southern Illinois...
    House and family in the Alexandria area. I work in northwest AR. Member of the 50+ forum. Fuji Newest road bike.

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, new member here from beautiful mid-city!

    rough rider, i haven't heard radio ads in question. in fact, i thought n.o. city ordinance specifically says that cars have right of way over pedestrians. interested in more details if you have them.

    i'm a very casual, low-key (read:slow) rider. lately, i've been taking my sunday morning rides in city park. all three golf courses were destroyed by the flood, but they all had wide sidewalks for golf carts to use when the ground got spongy. they're overgrown and a little buckled in spots, but make for an interesting ride.

  23. #48
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought n.o. city ordinance specifically says that cars have right of way over pedestrians. interested in more details if you have them.
    Cars do have the right of way in certain situations [no pedestrian cross walk, etc.] but the traffic laws do apply to cyclists too. You can find two PDFs detailing the laws pertaining to cyclists at http://bike.tulane.edu/laws.htm . Be safe out there.

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the link! i didn't know the laws had been rewritten.

  25. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bossier City, La
    My Bikes
    70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bossier City here!!! Aint made it to Tiger Stadium since the Dinardo days and thats too dang long! Jan. 7 2008, LSU wins its 3rd National Title!!! GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ride solo most of the time because of my work schedule, but do as many organized Saturday rides as I can. We have 2 in Shreveport every year and I usually do a couple in East Texas also. Are there any organized charity centuries or metric centuries in Alexandria, Lafayette, or Baton Rouge?????

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •