Dear Friends and Cyclists,
In June of 2002, Revolutions Community Bicycle Shop opened its doors in the basement of First Congregational United Church of Christ at 1000 South Cooper St. The vision was dangerously simple: We intended to save the world one bike at a time. So we created a space where people could rehabilitate and recycle bicycles with the mission of providing all Memphians—particularly the working poor of Memphis—with bicycles and the means to repair them.
Five years later we believe that, in a real way, we are achieving these goals. We have recycled and rehabilitated more than a thousand bikes. We have taught hundreds how to construct and maintain their bikes. We have given hundreds of children access to the freedom that only bikes can bestow. We have provided bikes that improved the financial circumstances of those who constructed them and ride them. Most importantly, we have strengthened the community of cyclists in Memphis by swelling its ranks and giving purpose to some of its members.
Now, we want to celebrate. We want to celebrate the community’s support of Revolutions over these past five years, and we want to show off the strength and vitality of this burgeoning bicycling community. On April 14, 2007, Revolutions will be holding its Fifth Anniversary Celebration by hosting a Cycle Swap and Bike Fair. From noon to 8 p.m. we will provide a space for Memphis’ community of cyclists to gather and celebrate. The Celebration will consist of:
• A Cycle Swap Meet: Individuals or groups can rent a booth for $10 to sell and/or trade cycling materials. We want to encourage the circulation and continued use of bike components in Memphis (free entry to buyers)
• A Bike Corral: For $3 Individuals can showcase and sell a bicycle from the Bike Corral. Purchase of booth space is not required sell a bike in the Corral
• Shop tours and Repair Tutorials: Mechanical Apprentices will provide tours of the bike shop and offer tutorials on repairing flat tires and finding a bike that fits
• A Raffle: Prizes from Memphis’ many great bike shops
• A Bike Giveaway: Raffled bicycles for neighborhood kids,
• Live Music all day long: Local artists including Dan Montgomery, The Soul Enforcers and more
• A Bike Parking Garage: A secure place to park your bike while you enjoy the festivities
After the festivities, enjoy a post-celebration Alley-cat with after-party and prizes.
All proceeds from the Fifth Anniversary Celebration, Cycle Swap and Bike Fair will go to Revolutions Community Bicycle Shop. For more information or to pre-register for a space in the Bike Swap e-mail Josh at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or ring him at 901.605.1820. For more info check out www.revolutionscycleswap.blogspot.com
Thank you for your time and interest – we look forward to seeing you there. Remember to ride your bike!
Anthony Siracusa and Isaiah Flowers,
Revolutions Community Bike Shop