Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-07, 11:06 PM   #1
asif2002
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any Tampa Bay Bayshore Blvd. Riders?

Hey guys,
I just got back from riding for my fourth time. I rode from Gandy Blvd. to Centro Ybor tonight, very fun ride. Just wondering who else from the area are on this forum.

Let me know,
Asif
asif2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 06:15 PM   #2
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not alot of people on here from that area... Im in lakeland and just found another guy from the tampa area.. Let me know if your looking for someoen to ride with. Send me a PM

Do you roadbike or Montainbiike?
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 01:38 PM   #3
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif2002
Hey guys,
I just got back from riding for my fourth time. I rode from Gandy Blvd. to Centro Ybor tonight, very fun ride. Just wondering who else from the area are on this forum.

Let me know,
Asif

I have rode Bayshore many times back in my "beginner" days. It is a pleasant route although crowded with walkers, skaters, dogs and anything else that uses legs for locomotion. I find if you would like to ride next to the water, Ft. DeSoto has a great 16 mile trail.[out and back] Also the Friendship Trail on the old Gandy bridge is a good 6 miles out & back as well. And the foot traffic is a lot less.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 02:29 PM   #4
shortbus901
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Key West, FL
Bikes: 2013 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Lemond Versailles, 2011 Bianchi Milano
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in Valrico. Not a roadie yet but I'm in the market. Most of my time right now is spent on the MTB at Alafia or Boyette.
shortbus901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 02:57 PM   #5
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus901
I'm in Valrico. Not a roadie yet but I'm in the market. Most of my time right now is spent on the MTB at Alafia or Boyette.

I would like to know about Boyette. I drove past there and gawked at it. Look like to me it was some weirdo set up with private property. But Alafia is Da Bomb! I am right next to Riverview High School so Valrico is right down Boyette Rd. from me.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 03:30 PM   #6
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boyette is cool. its flat with some small ups and downs. There are a few good drops, but its a fun place to ride.. I was there this past weekend and the trails were sandy but not to bad. I dont know the place all that well, but I will go ride with you one day. Let me know.
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:56 PM   #7
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!
 
Madridjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lancaster Pa
Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_flames
Not alot of people on here from that area... Im in lakeland and just found another guy from the tampa area.. Let me know if your looking for someoen to ride with. Send me a PM

Do you roadbike or Montainbiike?

I also ride in Lakeland, mostly at Lake Hollingsworth since it is close for me.
Madridjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 08:04 PM   #8
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridjoe
I also ride in Lakeland, mostly at Lake Hollingsworth since it is close for me.
I ride a puter felt and wear a JOLT cola jersey sometimes HaHa.. You may have seen me.. Next time you ride let me know. I ride from my apartment Im so close (off new jersey)


jonathanhertel at verizon dot net is my email.
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 08:04 PM   #9
endless
Senior Member
 
endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i grew up in brandon/riverview but have lived in lutz for almost a couple years now. i haven't gotten a chance to ride bayshore but it looks like a nice ride. my friend tells me it gets crowded sometimes and runners tend to not appreciate cyclists on the sidewalk. i usually ride the suncoast trail which is pretty nice, mainly other (friendly) cyclists. my friend and i usually try and meet up there or at the pinellas trail which is pretty cool too. if we set up a time and place for a ride i'd like to join in. maybe it could be a weekly or monthly thing or somethin.

my friends and i are probably going to do a cross florida ride (clearwater beach to vero beach) pretty soon, i started a thread about it in the southeast, regional section.
endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 03:58 PM   #10
slowgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes: '14 Giant TCR Composite 1, '12 Lynskey Cooper
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't ridden Bayshore, but am interested in running it. I ride the Suncoast from LLF trailhead, Upper Tampa Bay trail or Flatwoods, which (when I move in two weeks) will be 2 miles from my house. I took the trip over to the Pinellas Trail in Tarpon Springs and I tell you what, I hate that trail. Not bike friendly at all. Too many crossings. i'm up in Gainesville this weekend, which is a great city for riding. Lots of rural roads with bike paths. But i love Tampa, with all of the rails to trails. I had to remember to pay attention, being back on the road in traffic today.
slowgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 04:35 PM   #11
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgo
I haven't ridden Bayshore, but am interested in running it. I ride the Suncoast from LLF trailhead, Upper Tampa Bay trail or Flatwoods, which (when I move in two weeks) will be 2 miles from my house. I took the trip over to the Pinellas Trail in Tarpon Springs and I tell you what, I hate that trail. Not bike friendly at all. Too many crossings. i'm up in Gainesville this weekend, which is a great city for riding. Lots of rural roads with bike paths. But i love Tampa, with all of the rails to trails. I had to remember to pay attention, being back on the road in traffic today.

Got to agree w/ you on the Pinellas trail. It is not bad down thru St. Pete to Baypines area. Less crossings there. I have hauled the bike many many times up to the Suncoast and rode all day. Now that the side trail thru J. B. Starkey Wilderness area is open, it makes for a more "quiet" ride. Many deer, bobcats, coons have been spotted there. Have also done the Upper Trail. I am still partial to the Withlacochee Trail to its solitude. But if you want the absolute, less traffic gig, then do the General Van Fleet. It is very deserted, quiet, and strictly wilderness. I have rode on weekends there before and have not seen another human being. Plenty of turtles and gators. Bayshore is the worst for traffic like I said in an earlier post.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 05:27 PM   #12
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to ride in lakeland tomrrow morning?
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 07:19 PM   #13
slowgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes: '14 Giant TCR Composite 1, '12 Lynskey Cooper
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
Got to agree w/ you on the Pinellas trail. It is not bad down thru St. Pete to Baypines area. Less crossings there. I have hauled the bike many many times up to the Suncoast and rode all day. Now that the side trail thru J. B. Starkey Wilderness area is open, it makes for a more "quiet" ride. Many deer, bobcats, coons have been spotted there. Have also done the Upper Trail. I am still partial to the Withlacochee Trail to its solitude. But if you want the absolute, less traffic gig, then do the General Van Fleet. It is very deserted, quiet, and strictly wilderness. I have rode on weekends there before and have not seen another human being. Plenty of turtles and gators. Bayshore is the worst for traffic like I said in an earlier post.
took the Starkey trail the other day. I thought it was only about a mile out, and was happy to see there are another 6 miles of trails back there. Moving in two weeks to Flatwoods area, so I will be riding the loop a whole lot.
slowgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 07:51 PM   #14
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_flames
Anyone want to ride in lakeland tomrrow morning?

Madridjoe and I rode a nice 20 miles today, If anyone else wants to ride in lakeland I can lay out a nice loop for us. Perfect weather for a ride BTW.
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 12:51 PM   #15
shortbus901
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Key West, FL
Bikes: 2013 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Lemond Versailles, 2011 Bianchi Milano
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lemond Versailles last weekend so I'm now a roadie as well. I did 30 miles out at Flatwoods last Sunday and loved it. Can't say it's quite as much fun as playing in the dirt but the sense of speed and efficiency is very cool! I think my next ride will be the Van Fleet Trail, I used to drive that area daily for work and always thought it looked like a nice one.
shortbus901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 01:18 PM   #16
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus901
I think my next ride will be the Van Fleet Trail, I used to drive that area daily for work and always thought it looked like a nice one.
Dont waste your time.. That trail sucks bad! I would only ride that trail to put in miles and nothing else.. It has some rought spots and is stright and nothing to look at, If you want to ride out there let me know. I was working out off of 557 (I think that is what it is). its like 2 roads up from the Van fleet trail and is a nice road that goes through the country and WAY out past Fantisy of flight. Im going to try and get Joe and another guy I ride with to ride it with me.. I was wanting to do it this saturday.


And if you ever want someone to ride with let me nkow.. I have no problems riding out to brandon/Valrico(sp) to ride.. send me a pm and we can exchange numbers.

Hope toy like your new bike!
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 05:52 PM   #17
O-Town
Senior Member
 
O-Town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Pete
Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride Bayshore atleast 3 times a week...every week.

I commute from Ybor City to Downtown Saint Pete viea the Gandy, Pearl St, Bayshore. If you see a blue Surly and an orange jersey going down Bayshore just after 4pm, that's me.
O-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 06:37 PM   #18
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town
I ride Bayshore atleast 3 times a week...every week.

I commute from Ybor City to Downtown Saint Pete viea the Gandy, Pearl St, Bayshore. If you see a blue Surly and an orange jersey going down Bayshore just after 4pm, that's me.

Gets pretty tight and narrow on Gandy heading east towards Bayshore. Do you encounter any problems with the traffic? I will give a honk if I see you on Bayshore.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 02:16 PM   #19
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CROSS POST

check it out

Polk City Ride
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 10:06 AM   #20
O-Town
Senior Member
 
O-Town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Pete
Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
Gets pretty tight and narrow on Gandy heading east towards Bayshore. Do you encounter any problems with the traffic? I will give a honk if I see you on Bayshore.
I've had no problems on the Gandy approach.

The worst part of the commute the blind curve on the back side of the dog track. I don't think Florida drivers realize that they are putting there lives and mine in danger when they cross a double yellow and try to pass on a blind curve! F*&%$#$ing idiots.
O-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 12:24 PM   #21
shortbus901
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Key West, FL
Bikes: 2013 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Lemond Versailles, 2011 Bianchi Milano
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_flames
Dont waste your time.. That trail sucks bad! I would only ride that trail to put in miles and nothing else.. It has some rought spots and is stright and nothing to look at, If you want to ride out there let me know. I was working out off of 557 (I think that is what it is). its like 2 roads up from the Van fleet trail and is a nice road that goes through the country and WAY out past Fantisy of flight. Im going to try and get Joe and another guy I ride with to ride it with me.. I was wanting to do it this saturday.


And if you ever want someone to ride with let me nkow.. I have no problems riding out to brandon/Valrico(sp) to ride.. send me a pm and we can exchange numbers.

Hope toy like your new bike!
Mileage is pretty much what I'd be after since there really isn't anywhere around me that I feel safe riding any distance just yet (traffic). I've also heard the VFT is essentially undeveloped the whole way through which I always find refreshing these days; even if it's just cow pasture it still beats condos anyday.
shortbus901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 02:52 PM   #22
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus901
Mileage is pretty much what I'd be after since there really isn't anywhere around me that I feel safe riding any distance just yet (traffic). I've also heard the VFT is essentially undeveloped the whole way through which I always find refreshing these days; even if it's just cow pasture it still beats condos anyday.
I agree 100%. I find the VFT "refreshing" in these days of baby strollers, condos, and in line skaters taking up 75% of the trail. I have seen more wildlife on this trail than any other. That is what makes an interesting ride for me.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 10:04 AM   #23
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!
 
Madridjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lancaster Pa
Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode 40 miles on the Van Fleet yesterday, 20 out and back again. Jon's right about it not being much of a challenge, but if you want to get away form the strip malls, housing developments etc, and just have some peace and quiet, and log some miles, this works real well. Once you get a couple miles away from the trail heads, you pretty much have the trail to your self.
Madridjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 11:46 AM   #24
In_flames
I GO SLOW!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridjoe
I rode 40 miles on the Van Fleet yesterday, 20 out and back again. Jon's right about it not being much of a challenge, but if you want to get away form the strip malls, housing developments etc, and just have some peace and quiet, and log some miles, this works real well. Once you get a couple miles away from the trail heads, you pretty much have the trail to your self.
All I have even seen on that trail is goffer turtles. The trail is nice and quiet though. I have found some nice places to ride. But you still have to deal with cars. Today I rode from lakeland to eagle lake and really enjoyed it. Eagle lake has some nice areas to ride that I need to explore.

We all still need to get a nice group ride together. Anyone want to set it up? I can do one for lake lakeland area, but I would live to ride out in the Boyette, alafia area. Some nice areas to ride out there.
In_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 08:01 PM   #25
SurferJon
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town
I ride Bayshore atleast 3 times a week...every week.

I commute from Ybor City to Downtown Saint Pete viea the Gandy, Pearl St, Bayshore. If you see a blue Surly and an orange jersey going down Bayshore just after 4pm, that's me.
Thats a nice commute you have. I'm sure I've passed by you before. I occasionally commute from south Tampa(kinda near Pearl St) up Bayshore through Ybor and up 12th St to USF. I ride an old black Schwinn and usually have a big backpack strapped over the rear tire.
SurferJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.