Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 423
  1. #101
    Second Tier Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Old Diamondback MTB
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bignslow View Post
    I am moving to Memphis in the next few months for work. Is it possible/relatively safe/advisable to commute on bike from the burbs to downtown by the river? I am looking at Bartlett specifically. Thanks.
    Hey, how you doing. My first post here. Neat.

    I live in Memphis (Cordova) just outside Bartlett. It would be a rather risky ride from Bartlett to downtown, but it is do-able. I think if I had to do it I would probably shoot straight down Stage Rd. and come south on Thomas shifting over to cross the Wolf River on Second St. I am sure there are people in town with a better answer. I have never done it but know some people that ride from Collierville to downtown Memphis.

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymc80 View Post
    Hey, how you doing. My first post here. Neat.

    I live in Memphis (Cordova) just outside Bartlett. It would be a rather risky ride from Bartlett to downtown, but it is do-able. I think if I had to do it I would probably shoot straight down Stage Rd. and come south on Thomas shifting over to cross the Wolf River on Second St. I am sure there are people in town with a better answer. I have never done it but know some people that ride from Collierville to downtown Memphis.
    Thanks. I will e-mail you when I get to town and maybe I can follow (draft) your friends into town.

  3. #103
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice article in the Memphis commercial appeal....

  4. #104
    Newbie imola.zhp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cordova, TN
    My Bikes
    None..........Yet
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedly View Post
    A quick search for a TN Roll Call thread turned up empty, so it seemed the best thing to do - Post one!!

    Are you from TN? Say hello! Where do you ride? What do you ride? Why do you ride? Etc...
    Not "from" TN, but I live here, Cordova, just outside of Memphis. We haven't been annexed by the City of Memphis............ yet...

    Newb, I don't ride or have a bike yet. My best friend and I, also my roommate, have been talking about starting biking for a few months. After a recent trip we took with some other friends to San Francisco where we rented bikes and biked up the shore line, across the golden gate bridge, and into Sausalito I'm ready to take the plunge...

    I really like the idea of eventually commuting for work, but like others have stated in this thread, it wouldn't be very easy. For me, its 22 miles by car, I, also, work near downtown. Like someone mentioned, taking 64 (stage rd) is what I mostly do by car (interstate is too crazy at the time I come to work), but getting up to Stage wouldn't be easy for me, and getting from Thomas to my work wouldn't be easy or very safe either. Maybe eventually though. It might be possible to take the car up to Stage, leave it there, bike to work, bike back, and take the car home. It would also cut about 5 miles (one-way) off of the biking commute...

    For now, I'm looking for information on Bikes and recommended bike stores in this area. I was a little concerned, I don't think Memphis people started posting until the 2nd page, ha, but there seems to be a few on here. As for budget, I'm not going to say I don't have one, but I don't think I should go crazy on a "1st" bike. I'd like to stay in the $400 range with tax for a 1st bike. I'd like to be able to do on-road as well as some off-road at Shelby Farms. I'd like to find a store that wont take advantage of a newb, though I do tend to research everything I buy and its unlikely, still, a place with good service is worth something to me...

    1st post too, thanks!

  5. #105
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imola.zhp View Post
    Not "from" TN, but I live here, Cordova, just outside of Memphis. We haven't been annexed by the City of Memphis............ yet...

    Newb, I don't ride or have a bike yet. My best friend and I, also my roommate, have been talking about starting biking for a few months. After a recent trip we took with some other friends to San Francisco where we rented bikes and biked up the shore line, across the golden gate bridge, and into Sausalito I'm ready to take the plunge...

    I really like the idea of eventually commuting for work, but like others have stated in this thread, it wouldn't be very easy. For me, its 22 miles by car, I, also, work near downtown. Like someone mentioned, taking 64 (stage rd) is what I mostly do by car (interstate is too crazy at the time I come to work), but getting up to Stage wouldn't be easy for me, and getting from Thomas to my work wouldn't be easy or very safe either. Maybe eventually though. It might be possible to take the car up to Stage, leave it there, bike to work, bike back, and take the car home. It would also cut about 5 miles (one-way) off of the biking commute...

    For now, I'm looking for information on Bikes and recommended bike stores in this area. I was a little concerned, I don't think Memphis people started posting until the 2nd page, ha, but there seems to be a few on here. As for budget, I'm not going to say I don't have one, but I don't think I should go crazy on a "1st" bike. I'd like to stay in the $400 range with tax for a 1st bike. I'd like to be able to do on-road as well as some off-road at Shelby Farms. I'd like to find a store that wont take advantage of a newb, though I do tend to research everything I buy and its unlikely, still, a place with good service is worth something to me...

    1st post too, thanks!
    fwiw - memphis is a million times cooler than cordova. unless you're pat boone, that is.

  6. #106
    Newbie imola.zhp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cordova, TN
    My Bikes
    None..........Yet
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ since when is paying 2+ times the property tax cool? Amongst other things I dislike about the city, who's running it and the way it is run?

    Who is "Pat Boone?"

  7. #107
    (this space for rent) Gavush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White Bluff, TN
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first time on the Natchez Trace today, stopped by after work on my way home at around 5:45 and went 10 miles south from the end and back... saw about 8 other cyclists. Its a little bit of biking paradise... hilly enough to be interesting but nothing terrible for the ratios I have.

  8. #108
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,095
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavush View Post
    first time on the Natchez Trace today, stopped by after work on my way home at around 5:45 and went 10 miles south from the end and back... saw about 8 other cyclists. Its a little bit of biking paradise... hilly enough to be interesting but nothing terrible for the ratios I have.
    And the traffic is usually pretty light and the roads are awesome.

    I agree.

  9. #109
    (this space for rent) Gavush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White Bluff, TN
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, yeah... the traffic was light. maybe a dozen cars/motorcycles passed me on my way south, and two on my way north.

  10. #110
    Newbie johnfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    My Bikes
    GT Palomar, looking to upgrade soon
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm from Johnson City in eastern Tennessee. I began biking this past fall, and because of time constraints I have been taking it slow. I have a GT Palomar that was refitted with a road fork, and it works fine for what I am doing right now, but I am starting to look at upgrading, maybe sometime this summer.

  11. #111
    Senior Member doghouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. We all started out slow. Some of us still are.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
    and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

  12. #112
    Where did whooooo go nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    UTOPIA
    My Bikes
    trek 7100, 70's schwinn free spirit.{building into the second commuter}
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    E- Ton

    Hello I am from Elizabethton, mostly I commute, but some for fun. the commute is about 5 miles each way.

    1. 2003 ? trek 7100
    2. ??? swinn free spirit rebulding
    Just put on your big boy pants and get over it!

  13. #113
    Senior Member doghouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

    I guess our search is over now. Nemo has been found.

    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
    and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

  14. #114
    Newbie areynolds65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    2007 Giant OCR 2
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I moved to the Knoxville area last August after spending the previous 10 years in Pleasant View (between Nashville and Clarksville). I started biking again about 3 years ago just for some exercise but enjoyed it so much, I upgraded my hybrid to a road bike and start signing up for local rides and charity events. Since I don't know the Knoxville area very well yet, I joined up with the Smoky Mountain Wheelmen ( http://www.smwbike.org ) to meet other bikers in the area. So far, I've made some new friends and discovered several interesting places to ride.

    I'd love to be able to commute to work by bicycle, but both ends of the ride would require traveling down streets that are WAY to busy and narrow for me to feel comfortable on. Instead, I frequently carry my bike with me to work and go for rides in the evening. I also signed up for the Tour de Cure that's coming up on June 7th.

  15. #115
    (this space for rent) Gavush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White Bluff, TN
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard areynolds65.

  16. #116
    orange claw hammer Bryan T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    cloud nine
    My Bikes
    '00 IF Club Racer
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Native Nashvillian here, re-visiting this forum after nearly four years gone.

    About to hit the traffic again.
    Last edited by Bryan T; 06-11-08 at 06:07 AM.

  17. #117
    procrastinating member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
    Native Nashvillian here, re-visiting this forum after nearly four years gone.

    About to hit the traffic again.
    Welcome back. See you out there...

  18. #118
    (this space for rent) Gavush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White Bluff, TN
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heya Bryan. Where 'bouts do you usually ride? I've been up on the 'trace once or twice a week lately.

  19. #119
    orange claw hammer Bryan T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    cloud nine
    My Bikes
    '00 IF Club Racer
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepoole View Post
    Welcome back. See you out there...
    Are you Mike Poole the audio engineer???

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavush View Post
    heya Bryan. Where 'bouts do you usually ride? I've been up on the 'trace once or twice a week lately.
    Right now I mostly commute along West End/Harding, and only sporadically since I work at home. I sometimes do Warner Park either early or toward twilight. I need to go check out the new bridge connecting Shelby and Stones River greenways; can't believe my tax dollars bought such a cool thing.

  20. #120
    procrastinating member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
    Are you Mike Poole the audio engineer???
    Yep. Do I know you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
    Right now I mostly commute along West End/Harding, and only sporadically since I work at home. I sometimes do Warner Park either early or toward twilight. I need to go check out the new bridge connecting Shelby and Stones River greenways; can't believe my tax dollars bought such a cool thing.
    Tres cool, it is. Makes a nice ride from Belmont>Shelby Bottoms>Stones & back... have to take it a little slow on the greenways compared to Warner Park but it's good for a flatter ride with some river scenery thrown in...

  21. #121
    (this space for rent) Gavush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White Bluff, TN
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    planning a personal milestone, my first century. Looks like I'll be doing the sunrise century in clarksville. Anyone else planning on going? It's probably too flat of real interest unless you're interested in going for the sub-4 hour challenge. It's on September 20th.

    http://www.clarksvillecentury.com/default.htm

  22. #122
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,095
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavush View Post
    planning a personal milestone, my first century. Looks like I'll be doing the sunrise century in clarksville. Anyone else planning on going? It's probably too flat of real interest unless you're interested in going for the sub-4 hour challenge. It's on September 20th.

    http://www.clarksvillecentury.com/default.htm
    That was my first century ever last year. It's a great first century IMHO. I had only started cycling 5 months prior to that so flat was good .

    I'm planning on doing it again this year. It was a lot of fun and I'd like to better my time from last year as a goal.

  23. #123
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I moved from Nashville to Hohenwald, Tennessee...I still travel to ride at Hamilton Creek for mountain biking and Dixieland for doing the BMX thing, also Lock 4, Chickasaw Trace, Lake Norris and Lone Mountain when in Knoxville, and Tsali North Carolina...I also ride my road bike on the Natchez Trace which I live right off of.

    1997 Cannondale Super-V 2000 FS
    1997 Standard Byke Company Trail Boss BMX
    1970's Motobecane Road Bike

  24. #124
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I ride with local groups in Memphis, TN, but I live just outside of the city.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi y'all, west Tennessee here - Memphis and the surrounding areas. I just began biking "seriously" a few weeks ago, and I love it. I started out with a used, knobby-tired, 500-lb. mountain bike because I'm cheap, but I quickly realized that it won't cut it if I want to keep up with the pack. I was left in the dust a few times and consequently got lost because I lost sight of the riders, some of them in worse shape than I am. I got pissed and got a road bike so that I could hang. I got a GREAT deal on a GREAT bike. It's still at the shop as we speak, but I can't wait to get on it.
    I've never ridden a road bike before, but I'm willing to learn and train so that I can use it to its potential. I also plan on commuting once I've got this whole thing down. I've seen mention of a Bartlett to downtown ride; I'd be riding from Collierville/Eads to the airport area, approximately a 30-mile ride each way, so if there are any "good" roads to fly down, or if y'all want to share some advice, I'm all ears.

  25. #125
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I ride with local groups in Memphis, TN, but I live just outside of the city.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I ride with them. Awesome group.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •