Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 38 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 926 to 950 of 4199
  1. #926
    Rawwrrrrrrrrr! wolfpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fast ride this morning with my Hammer guys and another local group...45mi/2:11hr. whooped now.
    wolfpackcycles
    skiffrun: Enjoy the ride. Ride for the enjoyment.

  2. #927
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friday 6/5/09 short ride caught in the rain
    Todays distance 12.25 (s)miles
    Total distance this mo. 80.03 (s)miles
    Total distance this yr. 2651.06 (s)miles


    Saturday 6/6/09 longer ride caught in the rain again
    Todays distance 43.25 (s)miles
    Total distance this mo. 123.28 (s)miles
    Total distance this yr. 2694.31 (s)miles



    GO MAGIC....Eastern division NBA champs

    SloSpoke Jim

  3. #928
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fri - 35'ish miles
    17 ave mph nothing like rolling home uphill and upwind
    2'ish hours

    sat - 2:34:34
    45.5 miles the boss has been kickin' everyone's but on his tandum, by himself
    17.6 ave mph
    30.6 max
    160.36 miles mtd
    "change is the only constant"

  4. #929
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday 6/7/09 short ride, quit before being caught in the rain again.
    Todays distance 15.50 (s)miles
    Total distance this mo. 138.78 (s)miles
    Total distance this yr. 2709.80 (s)miles


    GO MAGIC....Eastern division NBA champs

    SloSpoke Jim

  5. #930
    Fueled by Scoobie Snacks! Boatdesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Citrus County, Fl
    My Bikes
    1983 Puch Odyssey, 2004 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 8 miles yesterday and another 8 today. I know it doesn't sound like much, but just about a month ago I had colon resection surgery. The docs removed 8" of my colon and then sewed the two ends back together again. I am happy to just be able to ride at all considering the extent of the surgery! I'll slowly build back up to my normal 20 miles a day, hopefully by the end of July. The doctors want me to take it easy for a while, just in case.
    Keeping America beautiful by not wearing Lycra.

  6. #931
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near Palatka Florida
    My Bikes
    2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatdesigner View Post
    I rode 8 miles yesterday and another 8 today. I know it doesn't sound like much, but just about a month ago I had colon resection surgery. The docs removed 8" of my colon and then sewed the two ends back together again. I am happy to just be able to ride at all considering the extent of the surgery! I'll slowly build back up to my normal 20 miles a day, hopefully by the end of July. The doctors want me to take it easy for a while, just in case.
    Wow way to go!!! Don't over do it though. Every time I read posts like this on here my excuses for not riding get more and more LAME.

    I have my bike loaded up taking somebody else to do errands, while they are doing that IM GOING TO GO FOR A RIDE ....

  7. #932
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Posts
    13,882
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode 27 miles today. First really warm ride for me this year ~90F.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

    I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

  8. #933
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near Palatka Florida
    My Bikes
    2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the ride didn't go so good today, 5 miles in and started feeling really really bad. Head just pounding felt like I was going to pass out. So called for a ride and .... well I'll try again tomorrow. Checked my BP when I got home that was ok. Maybe the heat just got to me ... I dunno... feel fine now... a few hrs later...

  9. #934
    Fueled by Scoobie Snacks! Boatdesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Citrus County, Fl
    My Bikes
    1983 Puch Odyssey, 2004 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did another 8 today, my 12 year old son rode with me on the old Ross I rebuilt for him just before I went in the hospital. First time he had ridden a road bike for any distance. We went out around 9 am and it was already getting too hot. Gotta work on getting out earlier. In the summer I need to be on the road by about 8 or it's just too hot for me, must be the Yankee blood that is still in me!
    Keeping America beautiful by not wearing Lycra.

  10. #935
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13'ish miles in 'bout 50 minutes ave. 15 mph, my usual commute

    just got a new comp, so now the real number crunching begins
    "change is the only constant"

  11. #936
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near Palatka Florida
    My Bikes
    2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 miles and some change (forgot to look to be exact).. Started riding about 10am this morning at Crescent Beach and by the time 11am rolled around it was TOOOOO HOT... But on the upside it got hotter.... Took a break under the I-95 overpass, only shady spot I could find. Over all good ride

  12. #937
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not today, but I did Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
    Three days four great trails.
    Monday 30.83 miles @ Ft DeSoto and Tierra Verdi.
    Tuesday 36.04 miles on the Legacy Trail & Venetian Waterway Park.
    Wednesday 38.04 miles on the Panellas Trail

    Total distance this mo. 243.69 (s)miles
    Total distance this yr. 2814.72 (s)miles


    GO MAGIC....Eastern division NBA champs

    SloSpoke Jim

  13. #938
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz View Post
    Well the ride didn't go so good today, 5 miles in and started feeling really really bad. Head just pounding felt like I was going to pass out....
    Heat Stroke:
    "A severe condition caused by impairment of the body's temperature-regulating abilities, resulting from prolonged exposure to excessive heat and characterized by cessation of sweating, severe headache, high fever, hot dry skin, and in serious cases collapse and coma."

    It's summertime people! Drink!! BEFORE you NEED it! BEFORE you're thirsty! By then it's too late!

    I've lived and coached in the Florida heat all my 35+ years of cycling, and I've always been a BIG proponent of starting to hydrate AT LEAST an hour BEFORE you go out whenever the temp is above 85. You should have a full water bottle in you before you go out the door, (and I don't mean gulped down at the last minute!)

    Heat stroke can and does kill, but even in it's milder form, heat exhaustion, it can take as long as a couple of weeks to fully recover from the effects of not taking an hour before the ride to prevent it!

    Drink before the ride and every 10 minutes during the ride, even if you're not thirsty!
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

  14. #939
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
    Not today, but I did Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
    Three days four great trails.
    Monday 30.83 miles @ Ft DeSoto and Tierra Verdi.
    Tuesday 36.04 miles on the Legacy Trail & Venetian Waterway Park.
    Wednesday 38.04 miles on the Panellas Trail
    [B][COLOR=#0000ff]
    Slo Spokes, what're you doin over this way without letting us know? I could've ridden with you, (if you wanted to slow down!)
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

  15. #940
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near Palatka Florida
    My Bikes
    2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onegun View Post
    Heat Stroke:
    "A severe condition caused by impairment of the body's temperature-regulating abilities, resulting from prolonged exposure to excessive heat and characterized by cessation of sweating, severe headache, high fever, hot dry skin, and in serious cases collapse and coma."

    It's summertime people! Drink!! BEFORE you NEED it! BEFORE you're thirsty! By then it's too late!

    I've lived and coached in the Florida heat all my 35+ years of cycling, and I've always been a BIG proponent of starting to hydrate AT LEAST an hour BEFORE you go out whenever the temp is above 85. You should have a full water bottle in you before you go out the door, (and I don't mean gulped down at the last minute!)

    Heat stroke can and does kill, but even in it's milder form, heat exhaustion, it can take as long as a couple of weeks to fully recover from the effects of not taking an hour before the ride to prevent it!

    Drink before the ride and every 10 minutes during the ride, even if you're not thirsty!
    I think it was a combination of things that day. I did have water with me and was sipping that when the headache started (and after I stopped). I am guilty of not drinking much before I ride, to be honest never really thought about doing so. I'm always worried about having to find a place to relieve myself so I tend not to drink much before I ride. Although after reading your comments I think I will start. That morning though I woke up with a pain in the back of my neck, kinda like I had a kink from sleeping wrong. And thats where the headache started and just got worse the more I rode that day. Then it kinda felt like my whole head was pounding... So I stopped found a shady spot and called for a ride, and drank some water. Wet my hair down a bit too, which seemed to help a bunch. On the upside went for a ride today got really hot but no headache or weird feeling...

  16. #941
    Rawwrrrrrrrrr! wolfpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    06/10: 43/2:20hr
    06/11: 38/2:08
    wolfpackcycles
    skiffrun: Enjoy the ride. Ride for the enjoyment.

  17. #942
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    090611
    3:31:50 62.18 m 18.2 mph 81 rpm

    090612
    1:34:27 26.11 m 16.6 mph 79 rpm



    interesting couple of days, I'll fill in details later.
    "change is the only constant"

  18. #943
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onegun View Post
    Slo Spokes, what're you doin over this way without letting us know? I could've ridden with you, (if you wanted to slow down!)
    My daughter lives in St Pete so the wife and I visit her about every four to six weeks when she gets four days off in a row. She is my riding partner. The next time I make the trip over I will let you know we would love to have you join us for some rides. You don't have to worry about me slowing down if I went any slower the bike would fall over. Hence the name Slo Spoke Jim. FYI we stopped at Toulas ( I'm sure I have misspelled this) restaurant in Tarpon Springs and had a Greek salad. I highly recommend the place if you are up that way and hungry.
    SloSpoke Jim

  19. #944
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday 6/13/09 got out early before the temp went off the chart.

    Todays distance 38.16 (s)miles
    Total distance this mo. 281.85 (s)miles
    Total distance this yr. 2852.88 (s)miles


    GO MAGIC....Eastern division NBA champs
    Gotta do it this Sunday or wait until next year....

    SloSpoke Jim

  20. #945
    Fueled by Scoobie Snacks! Boatdesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Citrus County, Fl
    My Bikes
    1983 Puch Odyssey, 2004 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slowly building back up, did 13.4 yesterday and 14.7 today. That gives me just over 63 for the week. The hardest part isn't the recovery from surgery, its getting up early enough to ride by 8AM! I am not a morning person.
    Keeping America beautiful by not wearing Lycra.

  21. #946
    Senior Member VA_Esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    2,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 miles yesterday @ 22mph pace
    25 miles today @ 23mph pace
    Cat 6--*----------Cat 5
    Quote Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
    I use the elbow flick to let my wife know it's time for her to make me a samich.

  22. #947
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatdesigner View Post
    Slowly building back up, did 13.4 yesterday and 14.7 today. That gives me just over 63 for the week. The hardest part isn't the recovery from surgery, its getting up early enough to ride by 8AM! I am not a morning person.
    Hey Boatdesigner, wondered where you had been. Hadn't seen you post for a while. Some of us were looking for you to help design the arc a few weeks ago during all of the rain here in FL. Glad to hear your back on the bike and feeling better.

    SloSpoke Jim

  23. #948
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
    My daughter lives in St Pete so the wife and I visit her about every four to six weeks when she gets four days off in a row. She is my riding partner. The next time I make the trip over I will let you know we would love to have you join us for some rides. You don't have to worry about me slowing down if I went any slower the bike would fall over. Hence the name Slo Spoke Jim. FYI we stopped at Toulas ( I'm sure I have misspelled this) restaurant in Tarpon Springs and had a Greek salad. I highly recommend the place if you are up that way and hungry.
    We stop there semi-regularly - often ride up there for breakfast as they make a good omlet too! We like to sit outside right by the trail and watch everybody go by! Be sure and let us know when you'll be here again, and Maggi and I will join you!
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

  24. #949
    Slo Spoke Jim kjc9640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Posts
    2,066
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onegun View Post
    We stop there semi-regularly - often ride up there for breakfast as they make a good omlet too! We like to sit outside right by the trail and watch everybody go by! Be sure and let us know when you'll be here again, and Maggi and I will join you!
    I will definitely let you know when I will be in the area next trip. Tulas (spelling again, I guess I need to look that up) is open for breakfast and lunch. My daughter had a spinach turkey wrap that was out of sight. What ever happened to Louis Papis big restaurant that used to be on the corner of the road that goes down to the sponge docks? Do you know?

    SloSpoke Jim

  25. #950
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
    I will definitely let you know when I will be in the area next trip. Tulas (spelling again, I guess I need to look that up) is open for breakfast and lunch. My daughter had a spinach turkey wrap that was out of sight. What ever happened to Louis Papis big restaurant that used to be on the corner of the road that goes down to the sponge docks? Do you know?
    Hmmm. Not good news, I'm afraid.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/obituaries/article1000146.ece

    I'll check it out, and let you know what I think of the new Louis Pappas Market Cafe.
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •