Born to Climb
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Unknown Steel Frame
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is also a new Trek store in Naples. They are organizing some rides. You can find them easily on the web.
Another group is Naples Velo. You can find their info at naplesvelo.com.
Re: Script's opinion: "this is a great place to ride"
On the contrary, the Naples area is just about the worst place in the world for cycling. I can't wait to get the hell out of here. Just check out some of the other posts in the forum, or look up the cycling fatality statistics. I suppose if you like:
1. riding where there are almost no bike lanes and no shoulders
2. old motorists pulling out in front of you every quarter of a mile and uncontrollaby swerving into your space
3. middle-aged motorists (mostly females in H2s and other "cool" SUVs) side swiping you while they chat away on their cell phones
4. young motorists (and middle-aged males) running you off the road, riding your ass and honking at you repeatedly because you aren't on the sidewalk (when they have only three car lanes to choose from)
5. the monotony of riding sixty miles in which you encounter only one hill - a freeway overpass that rises a daunting 40 feet!
then, yeah, Naples is a great place to ride.