Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Moving to Asheville... help.

    Moving to Asheville within a week. Any thoughts on where to live? Prefer to able to walk within a mile to a grocery store and/or park in a safe environment. Budget < or = to $1000 to rent a house. Thanks.

  2. #2
    simply bikin' dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro; 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport; 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp; 2006 Flyte Arsenal; 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse Boron XL; 2007 Raleigh One Way; 1986 Raleigh Alyeska Touring
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/apa/

    A lot of the entries are for houses and majority include pics.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/apa/

    A lot of the entries are for houses and majority include pics.
    Thanks, but it doesn't help me without knowing anything about the neighborhoods...

    Oh well...

    I am going to drive over there on Tuesday to have a look around.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not from Asheville, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night:

    Some really nice areas in Asheville, especially near downtown, especially for the younger crowd.
    I like some of the areas around Broadway/Merrimon Ave, north of I-240. Close enough to ride your bike downtown, plenty of stores, sandwich shops w/i walking distance. Asheville is a great road cycling and mtb
    town. Just be prepared to ride plenty of hills.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Out there, on my bike
    Posts
    5,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a PM.

    Swannanoa, Hendersonville, Fletcher and Candler are out of town. If you are looking to be in Asheville, consider Kenilworth, West Asheville, Biltmore and Montford. They are all pretty close to downtown, although West Asheville is farther than the others, and Biltmore is pretty swank (so's Montford, but there are occasionally smaller houses to be found there). There may also be places available near UNC-A, but you'll be competing with students for housing (if you are a student, then it might be just what you are looking for).

    If you want to be farther out, there's Fairview, Fletcher, Leicester in the AVL area.

    It's a great city. Congrats on moving there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tulip.

  7. #7
    Senior Member cooperwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of weeks. Any update on your trip, Meek? Any more advice needed?
    06 Trek 7.5 FX

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
    Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of weeks. Any update on your trip, Meek? Any more advice needed?
    I found a place to live and about 5 minutes ago I found out where I am going to work. Long commute on a bike (~13 miles each way). It looks like I am going to ride Hendersonville Rd for many, many miles. Is this a somewhat safe road?

  9. #9
    In-House Counsel CaseLawZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    My Bikes
    BMC SLC 01, Look 585, Gary Fisher SuperFly, Cannondale Caad 9X, BMC TT03
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    I found a place to live and about 5 minutes ago I found out where I am going to work. Long commute on a bike (~13 miles each way). It looks like I am going to ride Hendersonville Rd for many, many miles. Is this a somewhat safe road?
    Very early in the morning you will see people riding it. But after that it gets to be a very busy road.
    --Jimm--

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseLawZ28 View Post
    Very early in the morning you will see people riding it. But after that it gets to be a very busy road.
    Looks like another road runs more or less parallel to it...Sweeten Creek Rd. Is this any better? I live off of Charlotte (north of 240) and will work near the airport on Watson. Any suggestions on any possible (safe) routes? Thanks

  11. #11
    In-House Counsel CaseLawZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    My Bikes
    BMC SLC 01, Look 585, Gary Fisher SuperFly, Cannondale Caad 9X, BMC TT03
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    Looks like another road runs more or less parallel to it...Sweeten Creek Rd. Is this any better? I live off of Charlotte (north of 240) and will work near the airport on Watson. Any suggestions on any possible (safe) routes? Thanks
    No, Sweeten Creek Road is not any better. Well, it is better but not better if you know what I mean.

    I have heard that there is a back way through Biltmore Forest to avoid Hendersonville Road, but I'm not sure where the "secret" trail/path is to get to some roads off the main drag.

    Check out http://www.abrc.net/ and their forums, some may know better than I.
    --Jimm--

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseLawZ28 View Post
    No, Sweeten Creek Road is not any better. Well, it is better but not better if you know what I mean.

    I have heard that there is a back way through Biltmore Forest to avoid Hendersonville Road, but I'm not sure where the "secret" trail/path is to get to some roads off the main drag.

    Check out http://www.abrc.net/ and their forums, some may know better than I.
    Hmm. Thanks. I'll check out the abrc site.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is interested in a back, leg, and arm workout, I am going to need an extra hand(s) for several pieces of furniture either tomorrow evening or sometime during Thursday. Free lunch for the winner(s). Thanks in advance.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    If anyone is interested in a back, leg, and arm workout, I am going to need an extra hand(s) for several pieces of furniture either tomorrow evening or sometime during Thursday. Free lunch for the winner(s). Thanks in advance.

  15. #15
    In-House Counsel CaseLawZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    My Bikes
    BMC SLC 01, Look 585, Gary Fisher SuperFly, Cannondale Caad 9X, BMC TT03
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    Thanks.
    I may have if I was there....but I'm not there right now.
    --Jimm--

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •