Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New York to Palm Beach Florida

    Planning a ride from South Shore of Long Island New York to Palm Beach Florida. My route will follow the Jersey Shore to Cape May and then by Ferry to Delaware and eventually to Cape Charles. Any suggestions on how I can get over the Chesepeake Bridge with the bike? What is the best route South from there? I will be traveling very light and prefer to stay in hotels or B&B. I figure that NY to Norfolk should take me about five days. The ride will probably take place in September or October 2011. Any suggestions? I prefer a scenic route but will need to be close to food, shelter and services.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Paul01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Fl
    My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Posts
    531
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikes are not allowed on the Chesepeake Bay Bridge but the bridge authorities will pick you up with a pick up truck on one end and drop you on the other. Probably best to call in advance and let them know that you're coming. We didn't and had to wait about an hour for the lift.

  3. #3
    recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee. Florida
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Adventure Cycling Association has an east coast route plotted, that will take you from Bangor, Maine to Key West, Florida, so I figure that New York to Palm Beach is on the route. You might check their website and see if they have maps that will help you with your trip. http://www.adventurecycling.org

    Tom in Okeechobee, FL

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul01 View Post
    Probably best to call in advance and let them know that you're coming. We didn't and had to wait about an hour for the lift.
    Thanks for that. WOuld you know where can I get a number for the Bridge? I will do an online search

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractortom View Post
    The Adventure Cycling Association has an east coast route plotted, that will take you from Bangor, Maine to Key West, Florida, so I figure that New York to Palm Beach is on the route. You might check their website and see if they have maps that will help you with your trip. http://www.adventurecycling.org

    Tom in Okeechobee, FL
    Yes I have been to their sight and plan on ordering some of the maps. Thanks

  6. #6
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,351
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fjohnj View Post
    Thanks for that. WOuld you know where can I get a number for the Bridge? I will do an online search
    http://www.cbbt.com/contact.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member Paul01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Fl
    My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Posts
    531
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesape..._Bridge-Tunnel

    The bridge-tunnel management prohibits bicycles but offers a shuttle van for $12 USD. Cyclists must call ahead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •