Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member daf1009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    More than I did a year ago!
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    25-30 Mile Ride - North Fulton / South Forsyth Counties, Georgia

    Anyone out there have a nice, straight forward, scenic ride in the listed counties? Away from the craziness of our overall Atlanta metroplex traffic?

    New to the area...and hoping to find something!

    Duane

  2. #2
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,504
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Big Creek Greenway is 17 miles out and back, and pleasant if you can stand the multi-use path traffic. Further south the area around Riverside Drive is very popular with groups - check Strava in that area. I mostly ride local streets in amongst the metroplex traffic craziness.

    They talk of the "Six Gap" route, in the foothills north of Lake Lanier, which would be worth looking into.

  3. #3
    Senior Member daf1009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    More than I did a year ago!
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...thanks! I live very near Riverside, so I do it quite frequently...and have probably put 600 miles on the Greenway...both are fantastic! Looking to branch out a bit...and wow...it is crazy in this particular area. Have you tried the Northern part of the Greenway, up off McFarland Parkway...I hear it is a lot of boardwalk, which makes for a rough ride...

    I have heard of Six Gaps...scares me to death, as I am NOT a climber!!!! :-)

    I love living in Alpharetta..and would love to commute to work...but...two major roads are in my way...Holcomb Bridge and Windward Parkway...I am not brave enough for either of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    The Big Creek Greenway is 17 miles out and back, and pleasant if you can stand the multi-use path traffic. Further south the area around Riverside Drive is very popular with groups - check Strava in that area. I mostly ride local streets in amongst the metroplex traffic craziness.

    They talk of the "Six Gap" route, in the foothills north of Lake Lanier, which would be worth looking into.

  4. #4
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,504
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daf1009 View Post
    Hi...thanks! I live very near Riverside, so I do it quite frequently...and have probably put 600 miles on the Greenway...both are fantastic! Looking to branch out a bit...and wow...it is crazy in this particular area. Have you tried the Northern part of the Greenway, up off McFarland Parkway...I hear it is a lot of boardwalk, which makes for a rough ride...

    I have heard of Six Gaps...scares me to death, as I am NOT a climber!!!! :-)

    I love living in Alpharetta..and would love to commute to work...but...two major roads are in my way...Holcomb Bridge and Windward Parkway...I am not brave enough for either of them.
    I've been on the Forsythe portion (McFarland) a few times but there really is a lot of boardwalk which is a little unpleasant IMO.

    Windward Pkwy isn't as bad as it looks, but you're right an alternate route would be better, if it existed. Maybe someone will show up here that knows of some less stressful routes in the area. I'll ride around the Windward Lake area sometimes, pretty much at random, because the neighborhoods and traffic are more laid back. Pretty hilly, even close to the lake.

  5. #5
    Senior Member SempreCycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Johns Creek, GA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Sempre 105
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Johns Creek. I've done Six Gap, the Greenway (Alpharetta/Roswell), and cycled around this area. I would say the least stress free and most scenic (if you are not a climber) is through Milton, otherwise the Gaps are beautiful!

    Here is one ride through Milton: http://app.strava.com/activities/71853735
    Another: http://app.strava.com/activities/72107776

  6. #6
    Senior Member daf1009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    More than I did a year ago!
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks SempreCycling...I will check out the Strava routes!

    Quote Originally Posted by SempreCycling View Post
    I live in Johns Creek. I've done Six Gap, the Greenway (Alpharetta/Roswell), and cycled around this area. I would say the least stress free and most scenic (if you are not a climber) is through Milton, otherwise the Gaps are beautiful!

    Here is one ride through Milton: http://app.strava.com/activities/71853735
    Another: http://app.strava.com/activities/72107776

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •