Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 270
  1. #76
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbryant
    I just noticed my name on post #1. I can't plan for a century until I find a better saddle.

    ... then you'd better get huntin' gurl!!!

  2. #77
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Out of curiousity, do you remember if we are to climb Portero or are we going down it on this ride? I just want to be "mentally" prepared if I have to climb it!

    Oh my goodness... I'd rather go UP Portero than down it any time!!! That hill scares the bejeebers out of me! Of course, my only experience w/it was at this year's Cruisin' the Conejo having just gotten back on the bike after 8 years off and also having fallen going down a hill on my roller blades in January and breaking my arm . It certainly did NOT help that it was SO foggy that water was dripping off of our helmets, glasses etc. and that the road was wet and slick! UGH!!!

    t~

  3. #78
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    Oh my goodness... I'd rather go UP Portero than down it any time!!! That hill scares the bejeebers out of me! Of course, my only experience w/it was at this year's Cruisin' the Conejo having just gotten back on the bike after 8 years off and also having fallen going down a hill on my roller blades in January and breaking my arm . It certainly did NOT help that it was SO foggy that water was dripping off of our helmets, glasses etc. and that the road was wet and slick! UGH!!!

    t~
    Okay, fine, it WAS slick and dangerous at this year's Cruisin' the Canejo, I agree - I almost slid out myself going down it at 20 mph (and I'm really not kidding - this was before I spent money I don't have putting Continental 4000 tires on my bike). However, I really never want to climb that puppy. I did go up Balcolm Cyn (yes, I did, don't anyone question me), with the Oilers earlier this year. I had to unclip at one point, of course, because even in my triple -granny, I couldn't turn the pedals! But I got right back on and eeked up the damn thing. I really don't want a repeat during the GT Lite next Sunday! (I've heard Potrero is worse than Balcolm - anyone want to weigh in on that?)

  4. #79
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Okay, fine, it WAS slick and dangerous at this year's Cruisin' the Canejo, I agree - I almost slid out myself going down it at 20 mph (and I'm really not kidding - this was before I spent money I don't have putting Continental 4000 tires on my bike). However, I really never want to climb that puppy. I did go up Balcolm Cyn (yes, I did, don't anyone question me), with the Oilers earlier this year. I had to unclip at one point, of course, because even in my triple -granny, I couldn't turn the pedals! But I got right back on and eeked up the damn thing. I really don't want a repeat during the GT Lite next Sunday! (I've heard Potrero is worse than Balcolm - anyone want to weigh in on that?)

    You were going 20???? You are a brave woman! I think I went down the whole thing at like.... maybe 6-8 mph... totally terrified! Maybe it'll be better next year... crossin' my fingers anyway!

    t~

  5. #80
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    You were going 20???? You are a brave woman! I think I went down the whole thing at like.... maybe 6-8 mph... totally terrified! Maybe it'll be better next year... crossin' my fingers anyway!

    t~
    #1 I was "chasing" 8 incredibly strong male riders (the nicest guys those Colavita Oilers, but my gosh can they hammer!)
    #2 I'm foolish and didn't know any better (I've only been riding 3 years - there is lots for this girl to learn and hopefully without being injured in the process!) - this would be how I almost slid out! My speed reduced to about 5 mph after that.

  6. #81
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    #1 I was "chasing" 8 incredibly strong male riders (the nicest guys those Colavita Oilers, but my gosh can they hammer!)
    #2 I'm foolish and didn't know any better (I've only been riding 3 years - there is lots for this girl to learn and hopefully without being injured in the process!) - this would be how I almost slid out! My speed reduced to about 5 mph after that.

    I had put my foot down when I stopped in a driveway just prior to going down the hill and it completely slid (totally flat area) so I knew I couldn't put my foot down on the hill so I'm sure that added quite a bit to the fear factor! Plus at that point I was still really really scared of downhills due to the rollerblade incident! I'm not that much better now but at least more so than in May

    I'm hopin' next year will be a little dryer!!!

    t~

  7. #82
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    II'm hopin' next year will be a little dryer!!!

    t~
    Well, normally there is overcast on that ride, but not that wet thing going on - so hopefully better. But in the meantime, we've got that "little" hill facing us on the 24th. And I'm hoping to be going DOWN it!

  8. #83
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Well, normally there is overcast on that ride, but not that wet thing going on - so hopefully better. But in the meantime, we've got that "little" hill facing us on the 24th. And I'm hoping to be going DOWN it!

    Okay, well since I don't have to ride it.... I'll send 'downhill' vibes your way!

  9. #84
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Okay, fine, it WAS slick and dangerous at this year's Cruisin' the Canejo, I agree - I almost slid out myself going down it at 20 mph (and I'm really not kidding - this was before I spent money I don't have putting Continental 4000 tires on my bike). However, I really never want to climb that puppy. I did go up Balcolm Cyn (yes, I did, don't anyone question me), with the Oilers earlier this year. I had to unclip at one point, of course, because even in my triple -granny, I couldn't turn the pedals! But I got right back on and eeked up the damn thing. I really don't want a repeat during the GT Lite next Sunday! (I've heard Potrero is worse than Balcolm - anyone want to weigh in on that?)
    I assume you were going north on Balcom? That is harder than Portero. It is steeper and longer. Portero is really not that bad.

    And, the GT Lite goes down Portero. No steep climbs on this ride.

  10. #85
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    I assume you were going north on Balcom? That is harder than Portero. It is steeper and longer. Portero is really not that bad.

    And, the GT Lite goes down Portero. No steep climbs on this ride.
    Thanks, Thomson! You made my whole evening. I was getting all nervous... To answer your question, I was going UP on Balcolm...really UP...like look up to your ceiling UP. Is that north?

  11. #86
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Thanks, Thomson! You made my whole evening. I was getting all nervous... To answer your question, I was going UP on Balcolm...really UP...like look up to your ceiling UP. Is that north?
    What is really funny is I was thinking south but typing 'north'. You were going south, for sure. North has a steep part at the end, but it is short.

    Anyway, I live close to Balcom and it is part of my regular riding. I use that as a benchmark on other hills. Like I said, if you can do Balcom, you can do Portero (but it will have to be a different day than the Grand Tour Lite).

    For an additional challenge, interested in giving Fargo a try? It makes Balcom look flat!!!

  12. #87
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    ...Fargo a try? It makes Balcom look flat!!!
    Funny, funny...I have a friend who does that by the way. His name is Francis and he's one of those triple/quadruple century guys who climbs every hill possible. He rode on the 2 Tujunga ride today, and smoked me (of course, I told him to go ahead, otherwise he would have waited since he's a nice guy). Anyway, NO, NO, and, oh yeah, NO, I do NOT want to try Fargo! But I would like to go watch with popcorn and a six-pack just for entertainment. I would have gone this year but it was the day after my first double and I slept in.

  13. #88
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Funny, funny...I have a friend who does that by the way. His name is Francis and he's one of those triple/quadruple century guys who climbs every hill possible. He rode on the 2 Tujunga ride today, and smoked me (of course, I told him to go ahead, otherwise he would have waited since he's a nice guy). Anyway, NO, NO, and, oh yeah, NO, I do NOT want to try Fargo! But I would like to go watch with popcorn and a six-pack just for entertainment. I would have gone this year but it was the day after my first double and I slept in.
    I was going to go there this year as well but, like you, I did the Solvang Double. I will probably go there next year though. I have ridden it, just not with all the pomp of the LA Wheelmen. Sounds like it would be fun.

  14. #89
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    I was going to go there this year as well but, like you, I did the Solvang Double. I will probably go there next year though. I have ridden it, just not with all the pomp of the LA Wheelmen. Sounds like it would be fun.
    Oh...wait a minute. I didn't do the Solvang Double, I backed out (I did do the Wheelman GT in June). Hmmm...I wonder what kept me from going just to watch. Anyway, back to...YOU'VE RIDDEN THAT JUST FOR FUN???? Okay, you must be climber guy if you're doing Balcolm and Fargo. Ever ridden with the Colavita guys in Simi? Great, great group who are really strong riders. Another woman and I are the only women who ride with them on solo bikes (a couple of others are on tandem) and I have never ridden as hard as I have trying to keep up with those guys! They waited at the top for me to summit Balcolm, but they had to be up there placing bets...if you know what I mean.

  15. #90
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Oh...wait a minute. I didn't do the Solvang Double, I backed out (I did do the Wheelman GT in June). Hmmm...I wonder what kept me from going just to watch. Anyway, back to...YOU'VE RIDDEN THAT JUST FOR FUN???? Okay, you must be climber guy if you're doing Balcolm and Fargo. Ever ridden with the Colavita guys in Simi? Great, great group who are really strong riders. Another woman and I are the only women who ride with them on solo bikes (a couple of others are on tandem) and I have never ridden as hard as I have trying to keep up with those guys! They waited at the top for me to summit Balcolm, but they had to be up there placing bets...if you know what I mean.
    I have not ridden with your friends. I like hills but I am am not all that fast. They sound fast!!
    But it is a good place to live if you like hills. They are all over!!!

  16. #91
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    I have not ridden with your friends. I like hills but I am am not all that fast. They sound fast!!
    But it is a good place to live if you like hills. They are all over!!!
    I concur...IF you like hills. Seriously, Ventura County is my favorite place to ride. And as far as fast goes, I'm the slowest climber (well, not the slowest, but I felt like it today!). It's so frustrating too, because I just don't know how to get faster (other than drop 20 pounds or spend $5K on a bike - and neither seems to be happening).

  17. #92
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    I concur...IF you like hills. Seriously, Ventura County is my favorite place to ride. And as far as fast goes, I'm the slowest climber (well, not the slowest, but I felt like it today!). It's so frustrating too, because I just don't know how to get faster (other than drop 20 pounds or spend $5K on a bike - and neither seems to be happening).
    When I first started cycling (coming off a 4-pack a day cigarette hobby) I used to have to stop 4 times going up Santa Susana Pass. Yes 4 times!! I kept doing it and pretty soon it was just 3 times.....etc. These days I can almost sprint the thing.

    Right now, I am about middle of the pack, hill-wise. I keep doing them to try and improve. It is kind of the "improve the weakest part" kind of thinking.

    So, my suggestion, to get good at hills, do hills. The $5,000 bike won't help all that much.

  18. #93
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson

    So, my suggestion, to get good at hills, do hills. The $5,000 bike won't help all that much.
    Yes, fair enough, but I DO do hills (I mean 8K ft of climbing today!). I noticed, by the way, that you were sweet (smart) enough not to make reference to the "lose weight" suggestion which we all know is a good one ("want to lighten your bike? lighten your butt"). Smart man, very smart man...

  19. #94
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merider1
    Yes, fair enough, but I DO do hills (I mean 8K ft of climbing today!). I noticed, by the way, that you were sweet (smart) enough not to make reference to the "lose weight" suggestion which we all know is a good one ("want to lighten your bike? lighten your butt"). Smart man, very smart man...
    Oh, I forgot that part. <grin>

    signing off..,

  20. #95
    no more nellie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Oh, I forgot that part. <grin>

    signing off..,
    uh, huh...

    Have a good night. I'm out of here too. I've gotten addicted and need to curb my usage.

  21. #96
    Steel is Real. markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  22. #97
    Steel is Real. markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbryant
    I just noticed my name on post #1. I can't plan for a century until I find a better saddle.
    Here's what I'm riding, very comfortable. Almost fall asleep on it. Pretty easy to do 25+ too.
    http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumb...s/euromesh.htm

  23. #98
    OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!! caligurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    HOT, sunny socal desert
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock
    Posts
    4,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    1-me
    2-hubby
    3-markw
    4-fixer
    5-jonnelrc

    just to repeat in case you missed it: if you signed up or are signing up under the group rate... PM me so i can send you name as one of the 5 or more!
    OCP and PROUD!
    "OCP is not just about attitude, it's a way of life!"
    life's too short to ride a crummy bike..........

  24. #99
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Nice job Mark, that approximates it closely enough.

  25. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Conejo Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    Domane 4.3
    Posts
    2,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    Oh my goodness... I'd rather go UP Portero than down it any time!!! That hill scares the bejeebers out of me! Of course, my only experience w/it was at this year's Cruisin' the Conejo having just gotten back on the bike after 8 years off and also having fallen going down a hill on my roller blades in January and breaking my arm . It certainly did NOT help that it was SO foggy that water was dripping off of our helmets, glasses etc. and that the road was wet and slick! UGH!!!

    t~
    Yep, conditions sucked during the first half of that ride. As the route passes within a few blocks of my house after about 15 miles, I came pretty close to just going home and back to bed. I've gone down Portrero several times but it's really only the top portion that is bad. After the first 3/4 mile, it's just one long run out to the bottom. Unfortunately, the road itself really needs re-paving. That part is scarier than the steeps.

    Problem with going up that road is some blind corners. I'll have to try it one day.

    Sheldon
    [insert clever quote here]

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •